EW's 20 Scariest Horror movies

MikeBSG

EW's 20 Scariest Horror movies

Post by MikeBSG »

Entertainment Weekly just posted a list of the 20 Scariest horror movies.

1) Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer
2) American Werewolf in London
3) The Omen (Donner)
4) Night of the Living Dead
5) Carrie
6) The Evil Dead
7) The Thing (Carpenter)
8) Nightmare on Elm Street
9) 28 Days Later
10) Poltergeist
11) Rosemary's Baby
12) Seven
13) Psycho (Hitchcock)
14) Halloween (Carpenter)
15) The Ring
16) Jaws
17) the Silence of the Lambs
18) Texas Chainsaw Massacre
19) The Exorcist
20) the Shining (Kubrick)

Sort of a "round up the usual suspects" list of recent horror films, but the order surprised me. I was stunned to see "The Omen" up so high, since while I always liked it, I thought most people sniffed at it as too conservative and staid.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mike, can we assume that it's numbered like that because #1 is the scariest, working downward by impact to #20?
Cause, as visually assaulting as American Werewolf was, all of that was almost entirely off-set by a wonderful wagonload of outright humor; unique & recommendable, certainly, but deserving of #2 on this list?

Klondike

P.S: And what about the classic-agers, like Dead of Night, & Curse of the Demon, or even any of those great 80's schlockers, like Rawhead Rex?!
Ah well, we are talkin' 'bout "Entertainment Weekly" (even us subscribers don't allow it much respect!).
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: EW's 20 Scariest Horror movies

Post by SSO Admins »

MikeBSG wrote:Entertainment Weekly just posted a list of the 20 Scariest horror movies.
I have issues with several of them that I don't really consider horror films. Movies like Henry, Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, and Psycho I consider more in the thriller genre than horror. That's four slots that could be opened up to true horror films.

So next question -- what four horror films would you use to replace those?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Make that five. Jaws doesn't belong on there either.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Where or as what would you classify the Destination I, II, and III movies? Also, shouldn't Saw, and it's followers, be on that list? I saw #I, but not Ring II, is it any better or worse than I? Also Skeleton Key is another.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I too was stunned to see "American Werewolf in London" ranked so highly on this list. In some ways, the films that were chosen were not so surprising, but the order did surprise me.

I just put the list up to spark conversation. While I think "Henry Portrait of a serial Killer" is an incredibly well done film, I can see why some people might not consider it a horror film. However, it has almost become a cliche to consider "The Silence of the Lambs" as a horror film, when it is just as valid to consider it a police procedural.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I could never get into Silence of the Lambs either. As far as that list goes, there is not much I like (or find scary) there.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Well, I noticed Suspira (1977) on your list. That film, along with Deep Red and The Bird With the Crystal Plumage are good ones from Argento.

Of the original list I like Henry, Psycho, Night of the Living Dead.
halcarter

Post by halcarter »

MikeBSG wrote:
<Entertainment Weekly..

Was there a particular time frame for the 20 they selected?

Would the '60's Invasion of the Bodysnatchers not fit in?
IMHO this little jewel should be on ALL lists of scary movies. :roll:

hal
halcarter

Post by halcarter »

John:

The one with Kevin McCarthy..I should have been more specific. I must say if those pods didn't represent horror...nothing does :shock:
But we could call it a sci/fi horror flick and cover both bases.
Kinda like The Thing from Outer Space.
:)

hal