Which Comedian is like Fingers on a Chalkboard for you?

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
j.lunatic

Re: Which Comedian is like Fingers on a Chalkboard for you?

Post by j.lunatic »

Top Three Comedians I Find Most Irritating:

3. Stu Erwin
2. Arthur Lake
1. Joe E. Brown
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

j.lunatic wrote: December 9th, 2022, 6:41 pm Top Three Comedians I Find Most Irritating:

3. Stu Erwin
2. Arthur Lake
1. Joe E. Brown
Joe E. Brown is one who gets a lot of hate but I like him in Some Like it Hot. He’s the best part of that imo not as good as it is hyped up to be picture.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

The Three Stooges, but especially Soupy Sales that I can think of off-hand. Sure there are some more.
There is an excellent episode of Route 66 that is really corrupted by Soupy Sales and made even worse by his silly pie throwing scene.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Definitely Roberto Benigni
laffite

Post by laffite »

Good One!
Catherine Deneuve in The Murri Affaire
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Some that I can definitely think of right now that I didn’t at first when I answered this thread are the silent slapstick guys like Chaplin or Harold Lloyd. I saw enough of that as a sad, lonely kid that it triggers an almost Pavlovian reaction of disgust in me. I couldn’t stand to watch any of that nowadays.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Phil Silvers & Milton Berle

:smiley_sick:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

ziggy6708a wrote: January 1st, 2023, 4:05 pm
Phil Silvers & Milton Berle
Agreed.
Watching until the end.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: January 1st, 2023, 3:55 pm Some that I can definitely think of right now that I didn’t at first when I answered this thread are the silent slapstick guys like Chaplin or Harold Lloyd. I saw enough of that as a sad, lonely kid that it triggers an almost Pavlovian reaction of disgust in me. I couldn’t stand to watch any of that nowadays.
That sounds really weird.
Watching until the end.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

ziggy6708a wrote: January 1st, 2023, 4:05 pm Phil Silvers & Milton Berle

I love the movie SUMMER STOCK, but Phil Silvers is so annoying --- especially the "Heavenly Music" number with the dogs. I feel bad for Gene Kelly that he has to be in that number.

I did like Phil Silvers as Harold Hecuba in the episode of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND where the castaways present their musical version of HAMLET.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I tried liking Jerry Lewis and like Danny Kaye can tolerate him in some situations but never choose to watch any of their movies. I think they appeal more to kids than adults.
While I couldn't stand spastic Jim Carrey, my opinion has softened a lot after seeing him portray similarly annoying Andy Kaufman in MAN ON THE MOON '99.
My grandmother loved Joe E. Brown and I watched a lot of his movies with her. I still can't stand him-what a one-trick-pony...no, your big mouth is not funny. Any comedian with a "catchphrase" gets tired after awhile, similar to Phil Silvers "how ya doin?" which he even brought to the Flintstones.

And that's one of the aspects of comedy-not only is it subjective and personal taste, but the comedian has to "win over" the audience and make you believe them. I have seen the teeniest flash of doubt/insecurity pass across a comedian's face (Carey comes to mind) that shows they are ACTING and trying hard to make you believe them. It can't be easy.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

TikiSoo wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:42 am I tried liking Jerry Lewis and like Danny Kaye can tolerate him in some situations but never choose to watch any of their movies. I think they appeal more to kids than adults.
While I couldn't stand spastic Jim Carrey, my opinion has softened a lot after seeing him portray similarly annoying Andy Kaufman in MAN ON THE MOON '99.
My grandmother loved Joe E. Brown and I watched a lot of his movies with her. I still can't stand him-what a one-trick-pony...no, your big mouth is not funny. Any comedian with a "catchphrase" gets tired after awhile, similar to Phil Silvers "how ya doin?" which he even brought to the Flintstones.

And that's one of the aspects of comedy-not only is it subjective and personal taste, but the comedian has to "win over" the audience and make you believe them. I have seen the teeniest flash of doubt/insecurity pass across a comedian's face (Carey comes to mind) that shows they are ACTING and trying hard to make you believe them. It can't be easy.
I also do not care for Jim Carey or Danny Kaye. I totally, completely dislike Jerry Lewis and everything he has ever done.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:42 am I tried liking Jerry Lewis and like Danny Kaye can tolerate him in some situations but never choose to watch any of their movies. I think they appeal more to kids than adults.
I've said it before here Tiki, and now I'll say it again.

When it comes to real and true talent, such as the abilty to sing, to dance and to deliver funny dialogue with aplomb, Jerry Lewis couldn't carry Danny Kaye's jockstrap.

(...nope, despite these two constantly being compared by so many over the years, Danny Kaye had SO much more talent than Jerry Lewis ever DREAMED he had)
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

How many votes has Hugh Herbert accumulated so far?