Which Comedian is like Fingers on a Chalkboard for you?

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
nakanosunplaza

Re: Which Comedian is like Fingers on a Chalkboard for you?

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Debbie Reynolds,June Allyson,Van Johnson and in the modern era Edward Norton is kryptonite to me in anything, he is also unpleasant to everybody in the business as well....
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

nakanosunplaza wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:23 pm Debbie Reynolds,June Allyson,Van Johnson and in the modern era Edward Norton is kryptonite to me in anything, he is also unpleasant to everybody in the business as well....
And so, not just because of the stench his many years of working down in the New York City sewer system gives him, eh nakano?!

Oh wait...never mind. ;)

(...actually though and all kidding aside here, actor Edward Norton especially so among the names you mentioned here, couldn't be classified as a "comedian" I would think, and which this thread's topic heading is about, remember)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Harry Langdon, Larry Semon, Laurel & Hardy, Eddie Cantor, Hugh Herbert, Joe E. Brown, Edgar Kennedy, Amos & Andy, Abbott & Costello, Danny Kaye, Three Stooges, Bowery Boys, Jerry Lewis, Milton Berle, Phil Silvers, Sid Caesar, Ernest, Pauly Shore, Kevin Hart, Larry the Cable Guy, Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Jackie Gleason, Bill Cosby, Joan Rivers, Chris Farley, David Spade, Pete Davidson, Jeff Foxworthy, Roseanne Barr

I'm sure there are a lot more, but those are who I thought of off the top of my head.
Watching until the end.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm
nakanosunplaza wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:23 pm Debbie Reynolds,June Allyson,Van Johnson and in the modern era Edward Norton is kryptonite to me in anything, he is also unpleasant to everybody in the business as well....
actor Edward Norton especially so among the names you mentioned here, couldn't be classified as a "comedian" I would think, and which this thread's topic heading is about, remember)
Yes, Dargo, I think maybe nakanosunplaza missed the "Comedian" part of this topic.

I don't think Edward Norton has appeared in many comedies, with the possible exception of FIGHT CLUB.
:smiley_banana:
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LawrenceA wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:27 pm Harry Langdon, Larry Semon, Laurel & Hardy, Eddie Cantor, Hugh Herbert, Joe E. Brown, Edgar Kennedy, Amos & Andy, Abbott & Costello, Danny Kaye, Three Stooges, Bowery Boys, Jerry Lewis, Milton Berle, Phil Silvers, Sid Caesar, Ernest, Pauly Shore, Kevin Hart, Larry the Cable Guy, Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Jackie Gleason, Bill Cosby, Joan Rivers, Chris Farley, David Spade, Pete Davidson, Jeff Foxworthy, Roseanne Barr

I'm sure there are a lot more, but those are who I thought of off the top of my head.
A good list, although I am not familiar with some of them.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Dargo wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm
And so, not just because of the stench his many years of working down in the New York City sewer system gives him, eh nakano?!

Oh wait...never mind. ;)

(...actually though and all kidding aside here, actor Edward Norton especially so among the names you mentioned here, couldn't be classified as a "comedian" I would think, and which this thread's topic heading is about, remember)
Yes he is not a comedian in the the true sense of the word,I do not know what he does,but I guess it was a preventive mention :)But I never bothered with Dick Van Dyke,Danny Kaye,P Silvers and yes Herbie Herbert
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: January 1st, 2023, 4:59 pm
LostHorizons wrote: January 1st, 2023, 3:55 pm Some that I can definitely think of right now that I didn’t at first when I answered this thread are the silent slapstick guys like Chaplin or Harold Lloyd. I saw enough of that as a sad, lonely kid that it triggers an almost Pavlovian reaction of disgust in me. I couldn’t stand to watch any of that nowadays.
That sounds really weird.
This might be tmi territory but growing up one of my relatives was a lower functioning handicapped person my father would pay me to watch essentially and we had to sit there and watch silent slapstick and kids shows from their childhood like Peanuts. There are lots of things I don’t care for such as comedians but that was such an obnoxious experience I can’t stand even thinking about those specific comedians or shows because of it.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:22 pm
This might be tmi territory but growing up one of my relatives was a lower functioning handicapped person my father would pay me to watch essentially and we had to sit there and watch silent slapstick and kids shows from their childhood like Peanuts. There are lots of things I don’t care for such as comedians but that was such an obnoxious experience I can’t stand even thinking about those specific comedians or shows because of it.
Yeah, that does sound difficult.

Not in any way equal in terms of childhood trauma, but one of my sisters insisted on watching I Love Lucy reruns every day during summer school breaks, and I grew to resent the show for that reason, as well as becoming so overly familiar with it.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:42 pm

Not in any way equal in terms of childhood trauma, but one of my sisters insisted on watching I Love Lucy reruns every day during summer school breaks, and I grew to resent the show for that reason, as well as becoming so overly familiar with it.
Ya know, after reading your two guys' stories here, it's suddenly dawned on me the REAL reason why I could never stand Jerry Lewis!

Uh-huh, ya see it's now suddenly come to me that when I was about 12 or so and while watching The Bellboy on TV, I looked out the window and saw my cat being hit by a car.

WOW, and here all this time I always thought I couldn't stand the guy was because he just wasn't funny!

(...nah, not really...about the cat, that is) ;)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:58 am
LawrenceA wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:42 pm

Ya know, after reading your two guys' stories here, it's suddenly dawned on me the REAL reason why I could never stand Jerry Lewis!

Uh-huh, ya see it's now suddenly come to me that when I was about 12 or so and while watching The Bellboy on TV, I looked out the window and saw my cat being hit by a car.

WOW, and here all this time I always thought I couldn't stand the guy was because he just wasn't funny!

(...nah, not really...about the cat, that is) ;)
To me The Bellboy is one of the best all-carried-by-one-person comedies ever. But hey, I'm a fan of Jerry Lewis, while clearly many people are turned off by his antics.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 1:11 pm
To me The Bellboy is one of the best all-carried-by-one-person comedies ever. But hey, I'm a fan of Jerry Lewis, while clearly many people are turned off by his antics.
Yeah, I have to admit here James that there are a few scenes in this particular Jerry Lewis flick that I recall having made me LOL and/or chuckle a bit, and that I probably should or could have picked and used another of his lesser efforts in order to play off LH's and Lawrence's "childhood trauma" stories.

(...and especially considering that there ARE so many of those "lesser efforts" of his that I could have picked from) ;)

LOL
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Dargo wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 3:25 pm
Yeah, I have to admit here James that there are a few scenes in this particular Jerry Lewis flick that I recall having made me LOL and/or chuckle a bit, and that I probably should or could have picked and used another of his lesser efforts in order to play off LH's and Lawrence's "childhood trauma" stories.

(...and especially considering that there ARE so many of those "lesser efforts" of his that I could have picked from) ;)
I'd seen several of Jerry's movies prior to last year, but I decided to try and watch more, especially the ones with Dean. Lewis ended up being the star whose films I saw the most of last year (20 titles!), and I can't say that my opinion of him was raised any.

That being said, many of the people that I listed above have at least one movie if not more that I've enjoyed.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:16 pm
I'd seen several of Jerry's movies prior to last year, but I decided to try and watch more, especially the ones with Dean. Lewis ended up being the star whose films I saw the most of last year (20 titles!), and I can't say that my opinion of him was raised any.

That being said, many of the people that I listed above have at least one movie if not more that I've enjoyed.
So, the ol' "Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now and then" kind'a thing here, eh Lawrence?!

Oh wait. No, I WASN'T callin' YOU a "blind squirrel" here, dude! What I was sayin' was that even those comedians that you've never liked could've maybe turned out havin' at least one....

(...oh, never mind...probably shouldn't use those "old sayings" around here anymore, huh)

;)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

You could add Larry Semon to the long list of silent comedians I hate.