Carolyn Jones, a hot 5 yr period

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Carolyn Jones, a hot 5 yr period

Post by stuart.uk »

it's somewhat surprising Carolyn Jones didn't become a huge major star considering her outstanding work between the late 50s and early 50s.

she did A Hole In The Head with Frank Sinatra, Edward G Robinson and Elly Parker. she also did a cracking western called Last Train From Gun Hill as Anthony Quinn's ex-girl, who supports widowed sherif Kirk Douglas as he kills Quinn and takes his son Earl Holliman into costody for his wife's murder.

in a similiar love triangle to Destrey Rides Again and The Far Country, she plays Ronnie a girl with a past, who blasts the nice Delores Hart of the face of the earth in competition to get Elvis Presley in King Creole. however, as in the two westerns mention, like Dietrich and Roman she dies trying to save the heros life, leaving the nice girl to get the guy by default. imo she's Elvis' best leading lady, as he gives one of the greatest all round peformances of all time

in Alaska she was superb as the woman in love with two men Richard Burton and Robert Ryan, ending up with neither in the underrated Ice Palace. her spinster character was compensated, by bringing up Burton's and Ryan's grandchild as both hated each others guts

Carolyn finished of this period with an okay role in How The West Was Won, playing George Peppard's wife. in the 70s she played the not very bright long suffering wife of nasty Chuck Conners (sorry Anne) in the epic mini series Roots. the last thing i saw her in was an episode of Quincy
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stu, I'm also a big Carolyn Jones fan. I just saw "A Hole in the Head" again, a pleasant breezy comedy, and Jones was a hoot.
Other than the films that you mentioned, she was also good in "Baby Face Nelson", "Marjorie Morningstar", and especially in the underrated "Career" in which she gave a sterling performance.

I featured Miss Jones on my thread 'In the Spotlight' last year and was surprised at her many credits in the movies and on TV.
She was something special.
Joseph Goodheart
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Joseph

i was thinking about how different Carolyn looked as the sexy Ronnie in King Creole (remember the scene where she lifted the hem of her dress, showing of her shapely legs) and the plain women she played in How The West Was Won and Roots. i know Roots was the 70s, but she was still a young woman of 47 at the time.