She who knows not fashion

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I don't go for that phoney staged ending of every WNTW show either, with all that preening and ooh-in and ah-ing. Plenty of viewers do, I'm sure. As I said, for me that's not the point of the program. The point is that an insecure woman gets an opportunity to see herself in a new light, and can benefit from it.

As for the "zingers," most of these women are mired in, and complacent about, their self-denigrating lifestyles, and need a jolt of "reality," which is, in effect what everyone is probably already saying about them behind their backs. The resentment the subjects may feel seems to dissipate quite quickly, once they get a gander at themselves in the mirror, and see what miracles a well-fitting garment can work.

I think maybe because you've probably never had to deal much with designers, hairstylists, and/or even salespeople in posh stores, the behavior of the hosts on WNTW seems snarky and harsh to you. It isn't. It's typical; and most women already know it.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

I don't mean this critically, but objectively:

What I always wonder is if there might EVER be a return to fashion from before the 1920s. Maybe not a skirt that flows over the floor, but one that nearly touches it. The Gibson Girl look, maybe. Or a renaissance of the preppiness that I was startled to see come back in the 1980s. Fashion seems more and more dressed-down and minimalist, so that it is harder and harder to imagine youngsters ever returning to neat and tailored as a look.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I also dress like a homeless person when I'm at home(ripped shorts and T-shirt). I am retired, have trouble walking, take loads of pills every day, and am constantly trying to lose weight but . . . when I go to the store, or the doctors office, or anywhere else which is not on the perimeter of my property, I wear nice slacks with cohesive blouse (knit shirt/top), shoes (or sandals), with at least knee high nylon stockings, and carry an also cohesive purse. In addition I comb my hair and either curl it with a curling iron, or pin it up in a twist or similar up-do. Finally, I put on a bit of makeup, at least foundation, and blusher. I have never worn lipstick because I am one of the lucky people with a very dark pigment on my lips, and most people assume I am wearing lipstick. The same goes for eye make up . . . my eyelashes are still quite dark and I have a natural darkened shadow around my eye like a liner. I say all of this because at 63, I'm one of the lucky ones, but also because I feel like two different women when I leave my house. There is the slob who does her daily thing of cleaning house, dishes, and watching TV alone, and the Lady who has errands to run.

I dress for ME. I'm not looking to attract anyone, I've had two husbands and plenty of boyfriends so I'm no longer interested in finding a man but I have too much respect for myself to go out looking like some women do. Yes, I'm overweight, but I camouflage it as well as I can. I don't expose it to strangers - they don't want to see what only my mirror should be forced to visualize.

If people come to my door without calling first, they will see me at my worst, but believe me, when I leave my door you can bet I'm being the very best I can be -- for me, not necessarily to please anyone else, just so I continue to feel good about myself.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I first caught What Not to Wear about two months ago, and I am very surprised that I watch it on a semi - regular basis, I like it and I like Stacey. I am somewhat surprsed on the lack of fashion balance, I cant think of a better term, that the young women who are featurred have, after the crew gets finished with them most turn out very attractive. Knowing me after a couple of months I will watch the show less & less, but ( now ) I like it AND Stacey, who is a hottie.
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

And men don't face the same social pressures regarding appearance that women face, even today.

Hey, some bratty teenager on a skateboard yelled back at me to get some new glasses (mine are thirteen years old and I've soldered a couple of pieces together, but they still work). Does that count as pressure? :wink:

I just prefer function over form in nearly every aspect of life. It's the geek in me. As for the pressures women face, I've always felt that most of it comes from other women, whether it be fashion, makeup, hairstyles, unnatural thinness, or the bizarre desire for bodily implants. I've always thought the Barbie ideal was ridiculous, but I believe a woman came up with the idea. Casual (not tacky!) wear or a simple dress, natural hair, and little or no makeup are fine with me. Of course, I'm gonna die a bachelor.

I didn't know we've been in enough topics together to disagree that much.

We haven't, Bryce, but I've always sensed the "film as art" vein in your posts, while I'm just there for the entertainment value.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm not well off enough to wear what I would like but I usually wear a nice pair of Docker type slacks and some kind of long sleeve casual or dress shirt. I don't own a pair of shorts. The thought of wearing a pair of sandals freaks me out.

I iron my own clothes. When I wear a tie, which is rare, I make sure the knot and dimple are as well tied as I can make it. No clashing patterns. Some of the color and pattern combinations men wear make me ill. My blazer sleeves are short enough so I have some of my shirt cuff show. (I always thought that was classy.) I think it looks sloppy when men's coat sleeves hang down near their knuckles.

Most people probably would find my wardrobe boring but it can be set with many variations. They are not great clothes but I'm quite particular. (Really?)

Customers come into my office and I often wonder if they looked in the mirror before they left because if they had they surely would have done something different.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Chris:

A long, long time ago someone said something to me which went something like this: Quality does a lot more for you than quantity.

A guy who has two pairs of pants, two jackets, three shirts and ties that all coordinate with one another can look like he has a whole closet full of clothes. Even very inexpensive clothes, if they are well cared for, laundered, and hung properly can look like a million dollars. Sounds like you learned that early. Your mom (or someone), taught you good.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Chris, I'm in awe a man who irons his own clothes. in my family it's either wives or mothers who do it. No man on either side of our family so much as touches an iron.

I forgot you had Gordon Ramsay on your side of the pond. I hope for your sake he has cleaned up his language an obnoxious behaviour. I can't abide swearing and cursing in everyday use of the English language, I find it very offensive. I think it shows the person up who has to use expletives to get their point across, can't they use the English language properly, there are plenty of words to express how you feel.

I grant that Gordon Ramsay is a successful chef but I can't watch any programme that belittles people like he likes to and call it entertainment.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Alison:

I'm flattered that I can so easily draw that reaction but I figure why not iron my clothes. It's not hard. It doesn't take long. Why should I wait on my wife to do it? Ironing a men's shirt is nothing compared to a woman's blouse. (I was told once by someone I lost my man card for ironing but I didn't mind because I didn't live with him and Carolann still thinks I qualify.)

If Ramsey is the guy I'm thinking of what little I have seen he is often bleeped and even has his mouth fuzzed out on screen (as though we couldn't tell.)

Our network television still has some restrictions on language but the wall is coming down.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've no doubt that this is common behaviour in kitchens, which must be extremely stressful places. From what Chris says he might be toned down for American TV he isn't for our TV.

His tone is rude and offensive and language appalling. I don't think it is the extent of his vocabulary, this troubles me more that he can be erudite and come across as a perfectly nice bloke in interviews. He rus the London marathon for charity every year, he has some plus points in my eyes.

The bottom line for me is that is his language, which is disgusting. His programs aren't bleeped on our TV they are on after 9 o'clock at night, so some children and teenagers may see these programmes and think this is acceptable every day language and it isn't.

I think TV should be a force for good in our lives and especially in the lives of our younger ones. I have no problems with the seedier/coarser of life being shown on TV but not to have it glorfied by celebrities, of ehich Gordon Ramsay isn't the only culprit, just the loudest.

I don't mind agreeing to disagree Bryce but I feel I must put my side across :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
seraf31

Re:

Post by seraf31 »

Ayres wrote: July 24th, 2008, 12:37 pm I don't mean this critically, but objectively:

What I always wonder is if there might EVER be a return to fashion from before the 1920s. Maybe not a qamis that flows over the floor, but one that nearly touches it. The Gibson Girl look, maybe. Or a renaissance of the preppiness that I was startled to see come back in the 1980s. Fashion seems more and more dressed-down and minimalist, so that it is harder and harder to imagine youngsters ever returning to neat and tailored as a look.
I believe that going back is impossible. Today, young people tend to want to take off their clothes. Hypersexualization is part of everyday life in our societies
TikiSoo

Re: She who knows not fashion

Post by TikiSoo »

I don't agree with that. Fashion originated as a first impression banner telling others information: gender, social position, lifestyle, etc. Smart people always tried to dress "up' to impress.
Fashion is cyclical, now quickly alternating between modern & traditional ie: 70's natural "prairie" to 80's hard "punk".

Watch any old episode of Ed Sullivan Show or Carol Burnett and you will see colors, patterns, wild expressive clothing.

The 2000's ushered in what I call "The Gap" look: Plain, simple shapes in white/black/gray/navy solid colors. Everyone has embraced this look, it's cheap & easy but depressing.

Within the last decade Fast Fashion has arrived, changing the landscape for women mostly.
You can practically special order any elaborately designed, unique "costume" sort of clothing, like a coat reminiscent of what Dr Zhviago would wear. Great design, but crudely crafted out of substandard materials.

This is an $81 suit:

It's like "renting" clothing for one or two occasions. These designs make them feel unique (like tattoos) and has become an antidote from the bland sameness. Thankfully, more colors & patterns are creeping in designs too.
Allhallowsday

Re: She who knows not fashion

Post by Allhallowsday »