SUEZ

mrsl

SUEZ

Post by mrsl »

I caught this one right around daybreak this a.m. Interesting study of the force behind the building of the Suez Canal. I'm sure a lot of it was Hollywoodized, but the opportunity to see Loretta Young in all her full blown beauty is worth it. Also, this must have been where Tyrone Power and Annabella (his first wife) met.

Just to enjoy the scenery is sufficient if you are a woman still alive and breathing. Tyrone Power is at his most handsome in this one. His face is absolutely perfect. Not a line, or blemish to dim his brilliance. He was always a good looking man, although you could see he was ill during the filming of Eddy Duchin, but through most of his career, he was definitely the most handsome man in Hollywood. Unless you totally dislike dark complexion, dark hair, dreamy eyes, and eye lashes most women would kill for, you can't seriously argue with me.

In any case there is a lot of riding across the desert, roaming bands attacking, and all the lacy, boorish fops of the French court of Louis Napolean coming and going. I don't know if Ferdinand deLesseps is actually the main force in getting the canal done, but this movie says he is, and we also get to hear one or two speeches by Benjamin Disraeli. In all, it's really a pretty good way to spend an hour and a half.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have always wanted to watch "Suez" (1938), in spite of the fact that most of the events have been Hollywoodized. I find this kind of adventure film mixed with history-biopic quite fascinating, especially those done back in the 1930s, and the starring trio is a must. It's a pity that it hasn't been released on DVD. I've seen some wonderful poster art of this movie.

BTW, I recently pre-ordered the Ty Power (2nd) Collection titled "Matinée Idol", which includes the long sought-after "I'll Never Forget You" (1951), I film I watched when I was a kid and which has lingered in my mind ever since.

Thanks for posting this review Anne and I hope that Cinecanal Classics, which airs many Fox films for Latin America, will eventually schedule this one.