*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Cyd Charisse looks wonderful in that picture. She was one very lovely looking lady.

I never knw that about Susan Cabot. How awful.

Love the picture of JamesCagney and Barbara Stanwyck. Did they ever work together?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Alison:

Cagney & Stanwyck did make a make a picture called "These Wilder Years" from 1956. A rather routine drama.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I was refreshing my memory about the Susan Cabot scandal, and I found this, from bmonster.com

On December 10, 1986, Susan Cabot, 59, was bashed to death with a weight-lifting bar by her own son Timothy in the bedroom of her Encino home. In typical modern-courtroom style, the victim became the accused: The defense said that Tim was an emotional wreck because Cabot was an overprotective, disturbed mother, and because their home was filled with such "massive filth and decay" that the conditions constituted child abuse. ("Child" Timothy was 22 when he caved in his mom's head.) None of the above was even faintly evident to this frequent visitor to the Cabot home, but there was ... some legalese double-talk about steroids and an experimental hormone the kid was taking (he was born dwarfed), defense arguments that conjured up images of Cabot as Sunset Blvd.'s Norma Desmond, and even published accounts which made Tim the love child of Cabot and either actor Christopher Jones or Jordan's King Hussein. By the time all the hot air cleared from the courtroom, Timothy Scott Roman received a three-year suspended sentence and was placed on probation. Source:
bmonster.com

Apparently, Cabot had a fling with King Hussein, who supposedly dumped her when he found out she was Jewish. (Her real name was Harriet Shapiro.) Some sources I looked at just now also alluded to Cabot taking some of the growth hormone drugs intended for her son, and referred to her as "mentally fragile." Who knows what to believe when things like this happen?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Are you sure the picture of Gloria Grahame and Nicholas Ray is at a rehearsal -- as opposed to, say, she laughing in his face and he ready to retaliate. A tempestuous couple, to say the least.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, that's a juicy tidbit about Doris Day and Mickey Mantle. Since she was married to Marty Melcher at the time, I'm glad she had the fling since he caused her to go bankrupt. I hope she and Mickey hit a home run.

Larry, I always felt that Louis Jourdan was a first class guy, and I always admired the moxie of Mae West.

Klondike, good work on picking up the chicken connection with Joan Crawford.

Judith, thanks for shedding some light on the Susan Cabot murder. I've always liked her and wished she had a more successful career.

ChiO, I believe the Grahame/Ray picture was taken while making "In a Lonely Place".

Paulette Goddard in a publicity shot from "The Ghost Breakers" (1940).

Barbara Stanwyck & husband Robert Taylor on a sunny day (love this shot).

Cary Grant & James Mason cringing as Eva Maie Saint plays the harp on the set of "North by Northwest".

Tarzan creator Edgar Rice Burroughs with Maureen O'Sullivan & Johnny Weissmuller.

Elizabeth Taylor weds her first husband Conrad 'Nicky' Hilton in 1950.

Ava Gardner & husband Artie Shaw out on the town.

WWII Veteran Guy Madison pictured on a Navy magazine.

Silent screen star Pola Negri with her beautiful beast.

By the sea in Italy British actor Oliver Reed reaching for a pistol?

Basil Rathbone, Boris Karloff & Donnie Dunagan on set of "Son of Frankenstein".

Potential movie star Bette Davis with a double scoop.

Gloria Swanson with 3rd husband Henri Marquis de la Falaise de Coudray (yikes).

Jeff Chandler & Lana Turner on the set of "The Lady Takes a Flyer".

Basil Rathbone, Una O'Connor & Olivia de Havilland on way to film "The Adventures of Robin Hood".

Star of the month Kay Francis on a two way passage.

Oscar winning actress Mary Astor with her cat.

Jimmy Durante between Mr. Hardy & Mr. Laurel.

Jeffrey Hunter and his wife Barbara Rush out on the town.

With wife Joanne Woodward.

A peck from Joanne.

With friend Clint Eastwood.

With pal Robert Redford.

Paul & Joanne married 50 years.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for posting those delightful pictures of Paul Newman and company, Mongo. I particularly like the one with Eastwood in which Newman has a beard and a very mischievous glint in his eye.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Love the photo of Una O'Connor. It's the first time I ever saw her looking glamorous.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thanks, Moira. I was loaded with images of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, some of which I used prior to his death. Of course I will continue to use them

Judith, I believe Una O'Connor made a few films where she is dolled up and looking swell in styles of the era.

Director William Wyler with Audrey Hepburn on the set of "The Children's Hour"

Jean Negulesco directs Cornel Wilde & June Allison in "Woman's World".

Greta Garbo relaxes with co-star Nils Asther.

Bonita Granville happily submerged with Jackie Cooper.

A lovely Loretta Young on the set of "Zoo in Budapest" (1933).

Peter Lorre with wife Celia Lovsky enjoying their villa.

Exuberant actor Sabu (Dastagir) with a pet horse.

Rita Hayworth weds 4th, husband crooner Dick Haymes in 1953.

The cast of "Listen, Darling" includes Judy Garland, Mary Astor, Walter Pidgeon, Freddie Bartholomew, and little Scotty Beckett.

Guess who? It's none other than Wallace Beery.

Animal lovers Hugh Hefner and Doris Day.

Cowboy star Bob Steele with a rare smile.

Chico Marx, Martha Raye, Norma Shearer & Brian Aherne on the town.

Dual Oscar winner Luise Rainer aging gracefully.

Julie Adams paling around with "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" (Ben Chapman).

Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman on the set of "Casablanca".

Femme fatale actress Marie Windsor chatting with Dennis Hopper.

James Dean and Sammy Davis Jr. seeing eye to eye.

Ava Gardner and husband Frank Sinatra arriving in Hawaii.

Clara Bow in a swastika outfit of the 1920s before the Nazis used it.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love the one with Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor. I love the pictures of Paul Newman, God rest his soul
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I enjoy so much this thread Joe!! There are so many, many photos that I had never seen before. :D Visiting your thread is a wonderful way of beginning the day.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe et al,

Some more useless information you may not need or care about:

1) Pola Negri's dog, Boris (a Russian Borsoi) lived for 26 years. He was a puppy present from Rudolph Valentino just before he went to NYC in 1926 and Boris died in 1952.
I used to play with him off and on and he was big and ungainly and pretty stupid. He never came when called and really didn't know which way was up; he was pretty lazy. He ran off on me right out her front door and on a leash. We searched all over Santa Monica for that damn dog. It was finally Billy Haines & Jimmy Shields who found him, looking confused as usual....

2) Gloria Swanson's husband, the Marquis, was my grandfather's cousin. They were both from Normandy in Northern France and descended from the Vikings (Norsemen who conquered that area)...
My grandmother, Nell, introduced Gloria to Henri in 1925 when Swanson went to France to film and needed an 'interpretor'!!!!!

3) I remember quite well when Rita Hayworth married Dick Haymes and everybody warning her against it, especially Harry Cohn.
After the ceremony, Rita declared, "This one will last forever!"...
'Forever' lasted 4 years!!!

4) Marie Windsor - I love her, love her, love her...... Thanks for the photo and please, bring on some more...

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

Vecchiolarry wrote:
Pola Negri's dog, Boris (a Russian Borsoi) lived for 26 years. He was a puppy present from Rudolph Valentino just before he went to NYC in 1926 and Boris died in 1952.
I used to play with him off and on and he was big and ungainly and pretty stupid. He never came when called and really didn't know which way was up; he was pretty lazy. He ran off on me right out her front door and on a leash. We searched all over Santa Monica for that damn dog. It was finally Billy Haines & Jimmy Shields who found him, looking confused as usual....
Borzois require a lot of room to exercise (even more than Malamutes!), and someone with the health and determination to get out there and help them exercise, preferrably daily, but at least 4 times a week (we're talking hours, miles & acres in this formula, folks!); even back in the twenties, a home in Los Angeles county (with grounds totaling less than 20 acres) would be an awful choice of location from which to raise a Borzoi. Small wonder Boris appeared ungainly & confused & "stupid"; his grossly deficient daily routine probably made him a neurotic mess.
That popular, snobbish magazine cover/art deco image of the Borzoi as an ideal companion for wealthy, fashionable young women was about the worst disservice that could have been done to the breed.
These dogs were & are athletes, first & foremost, with huge appetites for cross country sprinting and a strong prey-drive . . much better suited for folks who frequent rodeos than Rodeo Drive!
Adequate proof of the ridiculous conceit of "gifting" other people with pets; ultimately, it makes as much sense as delivering orphan children for your friends to adopt!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Klondike,

Yes, I agree with you 100%...
All dogs need to run and have stimulation and mental acuteness exercises.
Boris was not mistreated but also was not given insentive(s) to 'be a dog'....
By the time I came along, he was 20 and he lived in Santa Monica and I lived in Beverly Hills and I was only 4 to 10 when he lived - and I was no dog expert!!!

I hope you'll be happy to know that Miss Negri's next dog was a Shih Tzu - a small one!!

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

A toy breed would be a better choice, I think, for anyone in the acting profession.
I got to say, though, Pola must have been doing most things right by old Boris; Borzois have a typical life span of only 9 - 15 years (common for most sight hounds), so his beating that quarter-century mark is something pretty commendable, for dog & mistress!
Adding to that the fact that Ms. Negri kept him all that time, in what was probably often a problematic relationship, speaks pretty darn well for her as a Human Being, IMO.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you CCfan and Fernando. I appreciate your input.

Larry, your tidbits regarding your recollections of your days in Hollywood are always interesting.
I would imagine that Miss Negri's dog was all the more special to her since it was a gift from Valentino.
Last edited by mongoII on September 29th, 2008, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.