*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by knitwit45 »

One of her best roles (to me, anyway) was as Aunt Emma in Remember the Night. When she's checking the cookies in the oven, watching the developing romance between Stanwyck and MacMurray, but most of all when she opens the package containing her wedding dress...those tiny moments add so much to the movie.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Anna Magnani and her pussy cat

Errol Flynn with a doggie

Audrey Hepburn and her pet fawn
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Errol flynn looks a little tired in that one, wonder what he'd been up to the night before.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

What did Audrey do with her pet faun when it grew up? I'm hoping it didn't wind up on the dinner table as a holiday meal :(
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

jdb1 wrote:What did Audrey do with her pet faun when it grew up? I'm hoping it didn't wind up on the dinner table as a holiday meal :(
Not at all. On Sundays after dinner the two of them listened to Debussy's "Afternoon of a Faun" and reminisced. :lol: :lol:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judith, Audrey Hepburn had her little pet fawn Pippin (Ip) in 1958 and 1959. She kept the fawn at her home and became attached to it. It shopped with her, took naps beside her, and followed her around all day. This was right around the time when she was shooting the movie Green Mansions.
I would imagine that the critter ended up at a santuary of sorts.
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Flynn's canine chum is most likely a Miniature Schnauzer.
And I trust that if Audrey spent more than 6 or 7 minutes shopping (with her fawn), she also took a personal assistant along, armed with a dustpan & floorbrush.
"Magic marbles", you know.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

NOVEMBER 23rd. BIRTHDAYS

SYBIL JASON is 82 today

JACQUELINE WHITE is 87 today

MICHAEL GOUGH is 96 today

PAULA RAYMOND (1924 - 2003)

JOHN DEHNER (1915 - 2003)

ELLEN DREW (1915 - 2003)

GEORGE O'HANLON (1912 - 1989)

VICTOR JORY (1902 - 1982)

BESS FLOWERS (1898 - 1984)

NANA BRYANT (1888 - 1955)

HARPO MARX (1888 - 1964)

BORIS KARLOFF (1887 - 1969)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

George O'Hanlon, a.k.a. "Joe McDoakes", subject of some of the most annoying comedy/informational shorts ever filmed :x ; give me sour-on-wry Pete Smith, or overly-stentorian Jim Fitzpatrick, any day! :idea:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

If my memorary is correct George O' Hanlan was the voice of George Jetson ( what a bad show ), but I first remember him as a brash friend of Chester A. Riley, (Bill Bendix) in the 1950 sitcom The Life of Riley. O' Hanlon also has a small role as a neophyte show business agent learning the ropes from Edward Arnold in The Hucksters a great Clark Gable film exposing the high handed tactics of public relation firms and other sins that are found in a cpaitalist society. Getting back to The Life of Riley Sterling Holloway had a recurring role in the series " Waldo ", who I found very funny as a youngster. :D
Last edited by ken123 on November 23rd, 2009, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't tell you how much I like knowing that some of these stars are still around, like Michael Gough, God bless him. Thank you for posting not just the birthdays, but those stars who are still with us and their ages.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Wow, Ken, thanks for the background on Mr. O'Hanlon! I was unaware he did anything beyond caricaturing the flinching, cringing, eternally-double-taking McDoakes!
As for "The Life of Riley", which I remember from the small screen of childhood, I, too, recall Sterling Holloway as Waldo, and often thought of him in that role later in the 80's when the whole "Where's :roll: Waldo?" phenomenon was in vogue.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

klondike wrote:Wow, Ken, thanks for the background on Mr. O'Hanlon! I was unaware he did anything beyond caricaturing the flinching, cringing, eternally-double-taking McDoakes!
As for "The Life of Riley", which I remember from the small screen of childhood, I, too, recall Sterling Holloway as Waldo, and often thought of him in that role later in the 80's when the whole "Where's :roll: Waldo?" phenomenon was in vogue.

Well while I usually find an excuse to miss Joe McDoakes, it's not as bad as any Jerry Lewis film. Well almost not as bad. :D
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Brooklyn born George O'Hanlon had quite a resume.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641197/

P.S. I for one enjoyed the Joe McDoakes short comedies.
Joseph Goodheart
ken123

Post by ken123 »

mongoII wrote:Brooklyn born George O'Hanlon had quite a resume.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641197/

P.S. I for one enjoyed the Joe McDoakes short comedies.
I just checked a few internet sites and I cant find George O' Hanlon as a cast member of the 1950's TV series The Life of Riley.Was I mistaken ? Well I do know that Sterling Holloway WAS in the cast as was Gloria Blondell, Joan's younger sister. Gloria looked vary much like her sister. :?