ENOUGH!!!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
klondike

Post by klondike »

Fresh me up, Larry: wasn't Available Jones related to Stupefyin' Jones?

(Ahhh, that Julie Newmar . . . I'd let her stoke my still any day!)
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Klondike,

I just cain't jes' rightlie recollect now if "Stupifyin' & Available" is kin or ney!!
But, here 'round the chili cheese dog counter, we all purdy much is all related; cus weens call each udder cousin enyways....

Spects if'n I goes back a few yars, I'll find out I's my own granpa!!

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

{JUST WHEN YA THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE SAFE TO GO NEAR THE MEDIA AGAIN . . . :x }

Palin creates SarahPAC

Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:19 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: Republicans
From NBC's Norah O'Donnell

In a sign Sarah Palin wants to continue to be a player on the national political stage, the Alaska Governor has started a new political action committee to raise funds, SarahPAC.

The PAC is registered in Virginia and is modeled after HillPAC, Hillary Clinton's former political committee. Palin's committee allows her to raise money for other Republicans.

According to the Web site, the committee will also support Palin's "plans to build a better, stronger, and safer America in the 21st century."

Palin continues to have a huge political following. As of noon today, she has 464,000 friends on Facebook.com
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Wow,

464,000 friends - but do they all add up to just 1 with a lick of sense???

Friends is such a misconstrued word these days. I have about a dozen real friends; but I do have around 50 - 60 acquaintances around the world, some a little more toward friend than others.

If any of these 464,000 got into real trouble, would Sarah come to their aid? What kind of friend is she, really?

BTW, since the capital of Al;aska is Juneau, does that mean she can see Canada from her house???

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

Vecchiolarry wrote:
BTW, since the capital of Al;aska is Juneau, does that mean she can see Canada from her house???

Larry
To the best of my memory, the north end of Ketchikan, and about 7 sizeable Aleutians block her line of sight; but trust me, when her fellow Alaskans boot her bahookie back to Wasilla in the next gubernatorial race, she'll have good clear view from her roof.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

While the media spin on Gov. Blagojevich's media blitz was in the background as I was reading, I happened upon this passage:

In other words, we wished to show a man with an urge to assume a position of responsibility in public affairs but having himself no sense of responsibility, only a series of good intentions, fuzzy sentiments and numb, undefined yearnings.... If the world did not behave the way he wanted it to behave, then he would build a world of his own where all the citizens were his subjects and on his payroll.

-- Welles describing Kane

I love it when Life imitates Art, or versa vice.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed how much the new Attorney General Eric Holder looks like Oprah's boyfriend Steadman?

When I saw Holder at the inauguration in the background, I thought it was Steadman and wondered why Oprah should be on the podium. It wasn't until this past week I realized why he really was.

I probably should have put this in the Blank is to Blank thread, but I didn't want to pirate that one to politics.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

mrsl wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed how much the new Attorney General Eric Holder looks like Oprah's boyfriend Steadman?
Don't keep up with Oprah much any more. Could be he looks like him. The important thing is that he made it through, so he must have paid his taxes. 8)
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
klondike

Post by klondike »

Here's hoping our new President starts making better informed cabinet appointments choices; he's already equalled the appointee-rejection total that W achieved with torture-advocate Alberto Gonzalez, and tax-cheats/illegal alien-bosses Linda Chavez & Bernard Kerik. :x
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And he even got one in, Geithner (sp?) Richardson had to withdraw too but for different reasons.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

The fact that one tax-dodger got in, while two others bowed out, says to me that they had worries about other things coming to light besides how much tax they "forgot" to pay. I'm very disappointed about Daschle.

And just when are these public figures going to learn that there is no such thing as "confidential" in this day and age? If you put yourself before the public, as a celebrity or a legislator or anything else, you are going to get relentlessly scanned. Those all-news TV networks have a lot of time to fill.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I know most of you hate it, and ultimately me, when I rant on this thread. However, one more time I have to take a minute to rave on the stupid injustice and moronic actions of our elected government. I cannot believe the 5 year old mentality and na, n-na, n-na, na attitudes of the House and Senate in regard to the stimulus package. All the raving about needing to straighten things out and get the country back on track, and the very first thing Barack offers is treated like a couple of kindergarten kids fighting over two toy trucks - "I'll give you mine if you give me yours, but not until I see yours first, bla, bla, bla, etc." These are men between 40 and 70 years of age, yet none of them have grown up yet. They're still just spoiled little boys who have tantrums when they can't get their way, or there are no written rules to follow.

As someone said last night on TV, Obama did all he could to bring both factions together to discuss problems and solutions, yet they continue with this refusal to accept any kind of overture at urging independent thinking. The party, the party, the party - screw the party. If I had three wishes, my first would be to wipe out both sides entirely and replace both sides with independent, educated, and sensible thinkers. This country will never get out of its' hole until people wake up and start complaining. I'm not talking about just Republicans, the Dems are just as bad. Believe me, I'm always counting pennies on my Social Security, but there are people who receive less than half of what I do, and I can't imagine how they live if they don't have family to take them in, and if you're in your forties now, that may be you in 20 years. Not everyone can continue working until they're 70 - I was only 58 when my thundercloud burst over my head. I'm telling you, all of you younger folks, do something now so you don't find yourself out in the street when you're 65 and can't earn a paycheck. Now go ahead and get mad at the old biddy for spouting my thoughts, but believe it or not, I'm really only thinking of you - I probably won't be here, but if you let your government continue this way, we'll all be speaking a different language soon.

Anne
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote: These are men between 40 and 70 years of age, yet none of them have grown up yet. They're still just spoiled little boys who have tantrums when they can't get their way, or there are no written rules to follow.

Anne
You've nailed the destructive & counterproductive behavior dead center perfect, Anne, but let's all please remember that in the last 40 years, we've experienced increasing numbers of women elected to seats in both houses of Congress, and quite often they go right along with behaving every bit as selfishly, blindly & knee-jerk-reactively as their male counterparts, and some of them are inexcusably absent nearly as often as the Good Old Boys themselves!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You're 100% right Klondike. I am so angry about this it's hard to keep a level head. It was even hard to type that without being totally abusive in word and phrase. Your comment about the women being absent only adds to my anger and seconds the comments I made last month about Palin being able to be a mom and a government official. Many women are working moms - I was for years, but having even a demanding job like I did, you still get to go home each and every night. Governmental jobs last for months and often the family cannot follow, so kids go for long periods of time without seeing mom. I was often at work by 6:00 a.m. and home by 8:00 p.m. in time for tuck ins and prayers, but that was only just before a big meeting or planning a trip for the boss to a convention, and only one night out of maybe 2 months time.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

Your earlier post mentioned Obama bringing factions together and that people were devoid of any independent thinking. Well, I would disagree on both points. Obama's tactic from the beginning was to either shame or embarass the Republicans to join in. The fact that they had their own ideas meant nothing. The crap loaded into this bill is awful. At least in the end they got some more tax cuts then originally included. He didn't need the Republicans vote. In fact the last thing he wanted was any independent thinking. Everybody get in line. "We are headed for a catastrophe." Scaring people ought to work.

As for the rest of it. It's just Washington. Nothing has changed and it is likely nothing ever will. As long as people keep sending the same knuckleheads back this is what they are going to get.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."