"Cry of the City"

mongoII

"Cry of the City"

Post by mongoII »

The film noir "Cry of the City" (1948) is one of my favorites from 20th Century-Fox.
The film has good performances by Richard Conte and Victor Mature. Conte is great with his soft-spoken voice and shifty eyes. Mature turns in a superior performance. The best scenes though are with the bigger-than-life HOPE EMERSON! Her entry down the long corridor, eating the pancakes, and trying to strong-arm Conte are all memorable, cult-ish moments.
Joseph Goodheart
vallo

Post by vallo »

Another Great Noir by Robert Siodmak. (This guy knew Film Noir) I haven't seen this film in some time. I think it was Debra Paget's first film. You gotta love Hope Emerson. Always liked Richard Conte, I just purchased "The Blue Gardenia" with Conte and Anne Baxter.
vallo
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

My favorite part of the film is when Conte escapes from the hospital. That was one of the most suspenseful things I've seen. What gets me is that everything seems so natural, particularly the one guard who is gassing on about sports.

Apparently, director Robert Siodmak never really liked this film and its semi-documentary style much.