Joel McCrea - What do you think?

mrsl

Joel McCrea - What do you think?

Post by mrsl »

I looked back to page 4 and couldn't find a Joel McCrea thread so I thought I would start one. Lately the Western Channel has been playing a lot of his movies and I've caught some that I never heard of before. Pretty much everyone agrees his last one with Randolph Scott Ride the High Country was one of his best, but he did some darn good westerns as well as war movies. Todays movie was The Tall Stranger about a guy traveling alone and suddenly his horse is shot, and so is he. He's found by a wagon train and of course he gets involved in their business which is starting a community on his half brothers ranch, which naturally the brother is not about to allow.

In any case, I like Joel a lot in most of his parts. Foreign Correspondent is great where he is paired with Larraine Day. Often his co-star is squeaky Jean Arthur where I cover my ears with my hands through half the movie before her voice makes me nuts. His acting habits are basically the strong, mainly silent type, though a little more vocal than Randy whose answers are often a grunt. If for no other reason, he bears respect for staying married to one woman for a lifetime, and never getting into embarrassing situations, that we know about at least. I also respect him for becoming the lone rider at a certain age, and also like Randy, his lady co-stars aged just as he did. i.e. when he was 55 he wasn't romancing some little 20 something as Cooper and Gable did. Most of Joels' leading ladies were television rejects who for some reason never got noticed and that was odd because it was at a time when the great actresses were getting on and some fill ins were needed.

Besides that, Joel looks like a cowboy with a rugged complexion, long, bowed legs, and nicely developed torso. He also fits a saddle well and looks comfy riding a horse.

Does anyone have a favorite Joel McCrea movie or comment to make about his acting talents?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Hi MrsL! Count me in as a Joel McCrea fan. :)

There are several favourites of mine among his pictures, especially these two westerns: Colorado Territory (1949, R. Walsh) and Stars in My Crown (1950, J. Tourneur).

Colorado Territory has left a deep impression on me ever since I saw it. Walsh transposes WR Burnett's High Sierra to the western environment. In doing so, he keeps the film noir elements of doom, suspense and a heartbreaking love story. I find the film superior to the original. It's one of my very favourite pictures. McCrea brings his own understated persona to the outlaw Wes MacQueen. He is just superb so is Virginia Mayo.

Stars in My Crown is a lovely piece of Americana cum western; McCrea is the parson of a small town. He is a do-gooder but never preachy. The film is like a travel to your childhood memory. Lovely picture!

Robert Parrish (the editor and film director) wrote a lovely book of memory: Growing Up in Hollywood where he describes a trip to McCrea's ranch. His portrait is really congenial and charming. Joel comes through a very straight talking fellow. He is also very hard working: spending the whole WE spreading manure on his fields. And he expects the guests to help out!!! Parrish was exhausted by the end of it.... :lol:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Count me too as a Joel McCrea fan too. He's been vastly underrated and he starred in one of the best Romantic Comedies ever done: George Stevens' "The More the Merrier" (1943). His chemistry with Jean Arthur in this film is AMAZING. The Porsche scene is one of the most sexy scenes I've ever witnessed in a Classic Hollywood film. He was tops too in "The Palm Beach Story" (1942) and "Sullivan's Travels" (1941). "Foreign Correspondent" (1940) is also very good and well, "Ride the High Country" (1942) a masterpiece that trascends the Western Genre.

I have also enjoyed his performances in such lesser known early talkies as the rousing adevnture film "The Silver Horde" (1930) in which he stars opposite the very sexy Evelyn Brent, with Jean Athur, Blanche Sweet also in the cast. He also stars in two of my favorite Pre-Code Campy films "Bird of Paradise" (1932), lots of chemistry and erotic rapport between him and Dolores del Río and "The Most Dangerous Game" (1932) with Fay Wray and Leslie Banks.

I have also seen him in the very interesting "Private Worlds" (1935) as Claudette Colbert's doctor pal; in the excellent Pre-Code Gregory La Cava picture "Bed of Roses" (1933), a small gem which deserves to be better known, with Connie Bennett; in the very amusing "The Richest Girl in the World" (1934) with Miriam Hopkins and Fay Wray; in two interesting Women's pictures: "Born to Love" (1931) and "The Common Law" (1931), both opposite Connie Bennett; in the unfairly underrated "Barbary Coast" (1935) with Miriam Hopkins and Edward G. Robinson; in the excellent Wyler film "These Three" (1936) with Ms. Hopkins and Merle Oberon; in the very good "Come and Get it" (1936) and "Dead End" (1937); in De Mille's "Union Pacific".... Coming to think of it, Joel McCrea appeared in many, many great movies!!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Probably what I like most about McCrea, is his ability to play straight parts, look natural, and not bore people to death. This is difficult, because you are not grabbing the spotlight, your flashier costars are. If you press your part too hard--you upset the whole apple cart. Play it too weak, and you are the drag that everyone hates seeing.

When McCrea did take all the focus, his ease in front of the camera gave him utter believability. Cooper is often mentioned with McCrea (often it is McCrea in Coop’s shadow), but if you really study both actors, Cooper is much more planned and calculating. McCrea’s lines never seem forced or hurried.

I think it was a shame that he refused roles other than westerns at the end of his career. While he is excellent in the western genre, his other roles define much of his range and great flexibility. Who else could play such varied parts in Dead End (1936), The Lost Squadron (1932). Sullivan’s Travel’s (1941), These Three (1936), The Palm Beach Story (1942), and many others? An underrated actor to be sure, but then again, unlike most actors (or people in general), McCrea’s work does not toot its own horn. Instead, like many of his characters, his work is thoughtful and patient and stands on its own merits.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on November 30th, 2008, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

I've seen several Joel McRae films like Union Pacific and Wells Fargo, but haven't as yet seen Trooper Hook with Barbara Stanwyck and Stars In My Crown and would very much like to.

I'm almost tempted to say he was a poor man's Gary Cooper, but he was a much better actor than that. Its been suggested he wasn't as ambitious as many of the other great stars, therefor possibly didn't achieve what he was really capable off. That said his film achievments are still most impressive

I think along with Randolph Scott, his co-star in Ride The High Country Joel made a number of good 50s westerns when they were no longer young, appearing with much younger actresses like Barbara Hale. I mean no criticism in that, as it worked quite well for them both.

Along with Robert Duvall in Open Range and James Arness in his Gunsmoke movies, I think Joel was still impressive in the saddle in his 70s when he made his one off comeback movie Mustang Country
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

I was watching Joel McCrea again the other day in Sullivan's Travels. He's so great in that film paired with Veronica Lake. In many ways, I prefer him to Cary Grant in comedies - he's so subtle and understated - very natural and likeable. Looking at his credits, I realize I haven't seen him in that much else - only Foreign Correspondent and The More the Merrier, where he and Jean Arthur make one of my all time favourite romantic teams.

Regarding his making the shift into westerns, he had this to say in a 1978 interview (taken from Wikipedia):

I liked doing comedies, but as I got older I was better suited to do Westerns. Because I think it becomes unattractive for an older fellow trying to look young, falling in love with attractive girls in those kinds of situations...
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Sullivans Travels and The More The Merrier are amongst my favorite films of the period. He's someone I plan to get more acquainted with :wink:

Anne, I love Jean Arthur's voice, it is very distinctive, I suppose it's one of those voices that you either love or hate.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I like him a lot, what's not to like? He's gorgeous and always comes across as a real, unassuming gent. Have you seen him in THE OKLAHOMAN? I liked that one. Encore Westerns has aired it recently. He does get a chance to be with a super young chick in that one, but the ending may surprise folks. "Della Street" is also in the cast. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Count him among my favorites too. His early 1940's period is among my favorite period of his. "The More The Merrier", "Sullivan's Travels" and "Palm Beach Story are all great films.

I heard he once said he never got a script that didn't have Cooper's fingerprints on it but there is a bit of a resemblance in their style and looks.

He too played the strong silent type in his westerns. Like Randolph Scott that is all he did after about 1949. He seems an easygoing guy and very easy to like.

Some of his 1930's work which has been mentioned is very good as well.

A poster here (though not in awhile) CarrieLiz has a website for Frances Dee who was McCrea's wife of 50 years as I recall. There is a link to her site and you can read about McCrea there. Check in the "Movie Friends of the Silver Screen Oasis" in the forum "Movie Links.

He seemed a wonderful man and for me it shows in his work.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

As has already been pointed out, McCrea and Cooper were quite similar and that’s why they were both offered so many of the same roles. They were also good friends and Gary asked Joel’s advice about playing Sgt. York when it was offered to him as he was reticent to play a part based on someone who was still alive. Joel had a copy of the script too and Gary (who hadn’t completely read through it yet) asked Joel how it turned out. Joel said ‘he ended up the hero, and you will too’.

One of the things I like best about Joel was his refusal to play in what he saw as kinda trashy or too violent movies. He turned down many films near the end of his career as the times were changing and he said he had worked hard all his career to carve out an image of the good guy and that’s how he wanted to leave it.

Some of my fave of his films are Most Dangerous Game, The More the Merrier, and Adventure in Manhattan. I’m also a big fan of his wife, Frances Dee. I don’t know if any of you have seen their son Peter (I think he’s the one I’m thinking of anyway), but he’s the spitting image of his dad. :)
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm in agreement with everything said about about the man - he was wonderful, versatile and appealing. I'll add that I've always thought he would have had great success as a TV star. His persona was strong, but so low-key that I don't think it would have been diminished by the small screen. I think an apt description of his style would be "manly, resassuring, and friendly." That always goes over well on TV.
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I realized that I forgot to point out that Joel also had a copy of the Sgt. York script b/c he was being possibly considered for the role if Gary wouldn't do it. He knew it would be great and encouraged Gary to do it instead of taking it for himself. Joel had a lot of character and actors like him and Gary, who both at times refused parts b/c they knew someone else would be more suited for them, are few and far between.

:)
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Great responses everybody! I never did say that my favorite part played by Joel was the preacher in Stars in My Crown. I saw that on TCM this past year when they premiered it, I copied it, and have watched it many, many times since. I love Dean Stockwell and Joel is just marvelous. Joel also had a son named Jody who was in a lot of the Beach Blanket movies and also looked like Dad.

I am a minor Coop fan, but admit I like others more. I KNOW it's all acting, but have to admit sometimes I can't understand why a fine actor with a good reputation would accept a role like Coop did in Love in the Afternoon and Ten North Frederick. I have read stories that the writers or directors begged him to do both movies, but I can't help thinking some other actors may have done a better job. Some guys get smoother as they age, but to me Coop's not one of them. Cary Grant was, so was Cesar Romero and Montalban. Right now Redford is doing pretty well heading into his late 60's, but DeNiro and Pacino are getting craggy and crusty, and Eastwood turned downright old about ten years ago. Not trying to cause eruptions, just my opinion, kind of like if Veronica and Betty ran into Archie and Reggie - all of them would probably take off running in four different directions. :shock:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

mrsl wrote: Eastwood turned downright old about ten years ago.
This reminds me of a review programme I saw a few years ago. The panel was talking about The Bridges of Madison County - and one of the critics acidly said of Clint (who as the director had modestly cast himself as an enigmatic hunk sweeping Meryl Streep off her feet), "He's a bit past his snog-by date."

Back to Joel McCrea; I found this article witty and interesting:

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/50/mccrea.htm
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

What a nice article on McCrea. One thing they pointed out, and I am embarassed for having forgotten it, is the scene with Colbert in "Palm Beach Story."

I've seen it plenty of times and it sure looks like when McCrea kisses her between her shoulder blades she is surprised and gets a genuine tingle from it. I don't know if it was all planned but it worked wonderfully.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."