The Christmas Album

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Christmas Album

Post by moira finnie »

The fire is out, the wind is cold. What better time to warm ourselves with the memory of Ava Gardner, as we raise a toast to the actress whose often crowded life began on December 24th, 1922 as a Christmas Eve baby? The youngest of seven children born on a tobacco farm in Grabtown, North Carolina, as she grew up it was a bit of a shock to the girl that it "appeared that there was this whole other person Jesus Christ whose birthday a lot of people tended to confuse with mine. I was personally outraged. It was a long time before I forgave the Lord for that."

Despite that early brush with blasphemy and display of innately irreverent humor, Gardner's destiny seemed charmed. Her unvarnished natural beauty on display in a New York photographer's window caught the eye of someone with ties to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, leading to a contract with the studio in 1941. The kind of work she did there involved softening a pronounced Southern accent, learning to blend seductiveness and purpose under the tutelage of Lillian Burns, and posing for pictures like the one above, for all the holidays, some of which graced the walls of garages and barber shops throughout the land. Many walk-on parts and a couple of missteps down the marital path later (Mickey Rooney and Artie Shaw), the writer-producer Mark Hellinger spotted her in the low budget Whistle Stop (1946), and he just knew--this was "Kitty O'Shea."

With that heart-shaped face, cleft chin, green eyes, lithe form and instinctive sensuality, in earlier times she might have been Helen of Troy, Dido of Carthage, Boadicea of the Iceni, Nell Gwynne, or Emma Hamilton, but she was definitely perfect casting for the femme fatale in a loose adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's The Killers (1946). A star was born, even though it would take a few years of living before she observed that "stardom...gave me everything I never wanted."

Later, she was a glorious lost soul in The Great Sinner (1949), even better as the star-crossed Julie in Show Boat (1951), superbly mythic in Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951), touchingly human in The Snows of Kilimanjaro (1952), and a jet set gamine with an aching heart in Mogambo (1953). Yet, this great beauty, losing some of her luster, became more touching, funny and despite her denials, a damn good actress in later films such as On the Beach (1959), Seven Days in May (1964), The Night of the Iguana (1964). (Heck, I even liked the Spanish Civil War movie The Angel Wore Red where her ragged bar girl lit up the screen opposite the talented Dirk Bogarde). And her own assessment of her life work? She claimed that she was "never an actress – none of us kids at Metro were. We were just good to look at....[most of the time the] answer I usually gave was 'For the loot, honey, always for the loot,' and there was more truth than poetry in that remark. I had to do something and I didn't know how to do anything else."

The worldly elbowed each other for most of her sixty-seven years to gaze on her on the screen and in the street, all eager to see what an empty-hearted publicity hack labeled "the world's most beautiful animal." International headlines dogged her throughout her final tangled marriage to Frank Sinatra and through all the subsequent sordid and sad episodes with a parade of men who strutted through her hectic days. Eventually after Spain, movies, and a few television appearances, the actress found a quiet home in London with her dogs, her memories and occasional encounters with old friends (reportedly even Sinatra, who helped pay the bills and quietly carried a torch to the end). As her robust health ebbed away, she simply commented wryly, "There comes a moment when every woman has to face up to being an old broad."

In the years after she left home, Gardner would often return to North Carolina claiming, "I am pathologically shy. I was a country girl and I still have a country girl's rather simple ordinary values." Fittingly, that is where she rests since 1990, near her family and her roots. She was better than she knew.

Above: One of the images of a 17-year-old Ava Gardner ascribed to photographer Larry Tarr. The display of this startling beauty in his New York studio window in 1939 drew the attention of Hollywood--eventually.

Sources:

Allan, William, Ava Gardner 'Country Girl', The Pittsburgh Press, Dec. 26, 1982.
Gardner Ava, Ava: My Story, Thorndike Press, 1992.
Server, Lee, Ava Gardner: Love Is Nothing, .Macmillan, 2007
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, I look forward to this album every year and this one is a beauty. Since I adore Ava Gardner the information is very interesting and the Christmas image right on target.
I can't wait to see more. Thanks.
Joseph Goodheart
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

More for the book.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love your article on Ava Gardner Moira, she's a favourite of mine and was better than she thought. Incidentally I watched Whistlestop yesterday, I didn't know it was her breakthrough movie, I thought she was a leading actress before Whistlestop, I knew it took her a few years to get established as a star but thought she'd made it before this.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Alison, probably ava's best known credit before WHISTLE STOP was co-starring with the East Side Kids and Bela Lugosi in GHOSTS ON THE LOOSE (for Monogram). Don't really think WHISTLE STOP did much for her, either, though George Raft recommended her for the part. I believe where she really clicked was in THE KILLERS.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Beautiful, Moira, just like Ava. She WAS better than she knew.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It's the official start of the holiday season! Forget that Black Friday nonsense!

Once Moira updates the Christmas Album, the festivities begin!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love that picture of Ava Gardner Moira!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

How did George know of Ava Stone? Did he recommend her based on previous film performances or did he know her socially. Whichever it was I'm glad George recommended her and gave her a step up to the stardom that she was made for. I'm sure she'd have made it without him, but would have taken longer to get there.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

The Christmas Album: Tom Mix

Post by moira finnie »

Day Two of our holiday jaunt takes us into the cinematic sagebrush. Even if you've never seen this man before, his theatrical mien makes him memorable. With that immaculately white ten gallon hat, beautifully tailored duster, splendidly decorated boots, and dazzling smile, could this outlandishly fantastic figure be anyone other than a movie cowboy from a child's dreams? And wouldn't Tom Mix be surprised that decades later, his lasting impact restored the blush in the unlikely cheek of someone who had crossed paths with him just once long ago?

Attending the annual holiday event sponsored by The Los Angeles Examiner in the movie capital, the fifty-two year old cowboy star Tom Mix is pictured as he arrived backstage at the Shriners' Auditorium in the hard-bitten December of 1932. The petite lady next to him swathed in fur is the fifth Mrs. Mix (née Mabel Hubbell Ward). The broadly smiling Mix was nearing the end of his time in pictures. During this last decade of his life, he returned to his early show-biz roots, appearing in circuses run by him and others, even as that peripatetic form of entertainment was waning. By the middle of this decade, Mix, who had been a great star in the '20s, made his last film, The Miracle Rider, a Mascot serial, in 1935.

After a lifetime of stunts (and the inevitable injuries that accompanied them), he knew that time was no longer on his side, though in public his high-living style sense masked any self-doubt nicely. The irrepressible showman's duds are actually rather restrained in this image. No rhinestones can be detected (though I bet those boots gleamed as brightly as his teeth). Tom appears to have left his legendary purple tuxedo at home and isn't wearing (or driving) anything adorned with a set of actual long horns as he did in real life. In his day, Mix's flamboyant presence on the screen had a razzle-dazzle that was in striking contrast to the silent cinema's other iconic cowpoke: that grounded, powerfully austere, yet sometimes puritanical Western wraith, William S. Hart. Separated by a vast generational gulf as well as style, both early cowboy stars were born in New York and Pennsylvania--not The Wild West. The flinty, paternal Hart often taught audiences a moral lesson, but Mix seems to have been a somewhat rascally uncle, showing off and sharing escapist fun with his viewers as he gave miscreants a drubbing. He managed to draw the line between good and bad guys without the starch of Victorian stuffiness.

It would be easy to mock the kind of fantasy cowboy that Tom Mix played on screen in hundreds of films from 1909 on, as he evolved into one of the highest paid movie star in the 1920s. Unfortunately, all but nine of his movies were silents and most are now lost (*sigh*). The glimpses that remain remind me of film's ability to transport us to an open-hearted world with chances for adventure and hope as vast as the prairie. As film historian Jeanine Basinger described the cowboy star's showmanship and dazzling stunt work, Mix seemed to dash "through his slam-bang adventures as if his pants were on fire."

His was a career that bloomed under the hot house conflation of early studio flacks, who claimed at various times that Mix was born in El Paso county in Texas, had been a rough rider with Teddy Roosevelt in Cuba (Mix rode in a parade with TR once), had upheld America's "place in the sun" during the uprising in The Philippines, defended Western civilization during The Boxer Rebellion in China, and fought with the Brits during the Boer War in South Africa (even though Mix never went overseas during his tour of duty in the army).

In reality, Mix had learned to love horses from his father in rural Pennsylvania, a genuine, lifelong skill that enhanced his later career. He had earned his show biz spurs in Wild West Shows and had been a genuine rodeo champion after knocking around with traveling circuses. He had also been a deputy sheriff and a marshal for a time. The compliant Mix understood that his fans wanted to believe in his larger-than-life persona and it was good for business to exaggerate his exploits, (so good that when he died, the U.S. Army felt obliged to give the actor a full military funeral after he died in a car accident in 1940, despite the fact that he had actually been technically AWOL since 1902).

Today, if Tom Mix's movies are remembered, they are often cited as the precursor to the highly popular flicks of Gene Autry and Roy Rogers from the '30s through the '50s, which also dressed frontier tales up in tinsel, sometimes setting stories in contemporary times, complete with streamlined convertibles and villains who wore snap brim hats, pin-striped suits and gats alongside the Westerners in chaps, pistols and Stetsons. Mix's characters had never smoked, drank alcohol or used his gun in anything except self-defense or the defense of another, though alcohol was a part of his life for many years in private. In a revealing comment made to a journalist in the Yuletide season during The Great Depression, the cowboy hero expressed his wish that children might have a Happy Christmas, adding "I hope their parents [and] guardians take an interest in them too, and bring them up to be better citizens than we are. We've made our mistakes."

Mix's extravagant bravura reached an army of children and he took his influence on them seriously. Among those who could be transported back to a moment when he left his brand on the imagination of myriad boys and girls was Peter Cushing, the elegant British actor noted for his intelligent (and subversively amusing) portrayals in numerous Hammer Studio films from the '50s on. Cushing often reflected on his own re-enactments of Tom Mix adventures in his family's garden when he was a boy. On one notable occasion, the distinguished actor recalled how one of his imitations of his cowboy idol nearly led to the wiry boy's accidental hanging. Something involving leaping off an imaginary horse onto a tree branch, no doubt?

Even though I was born many years after Tom Mix left the world, some decades ago his then unknown-to-me name came up in an unexpected setting. This small event taught me that I can never really know diddly about what goes on inside the people around me. On one of those warm days in May when being in high school is an insult to our inner siren call, a stork-like nun named Sister Sardo was given the unlucky assignment of hammering some English Lit into the dull skulls of pubescent girls. This nun was unusually tall for her era, with glasses and a dry, high voice probably earned from years of speaking to the often intellectually deaf herds of students. There were nuns in that generation who came up to my shoulder when I was in fourth grade (and I am only 5'3" now), but she towered over everyone.

She could have been aged anywhere from fifty to seventy-five years old, but you could never be sure when they wore a habit, hiding their hair and masking much of their humanity. (It was always exciting when some poor nun, sweating on a warm day or whisking along on a blustery one, momentarily had to readjust her wimple or veil, sometimes revealing for a fraction of a second some actual hair). The old habit that some Sisters of Mercy still clung to back then also gave them an air of mystery, considerable authority, and some deadly weapons, as I witnessed during my long career in Catholic institutions. Seeing a few loafers being gently garroted with the heavy three-foot rosary that hung from their thick, black belt could really put the fear of God (or his earthly reps) into a student. But Sardo (as we called her when her back was turned and we felt "bold") wasn't likely to commit mayhem. Her weapons were more often sarcasm or an occasional pointer between the shoulder blades to get a lollygagger or a whisperer's attention.

On this particular afternoon, one minute she was nattering about the wizened spirit of a character in Silas Marner. In the next moment something happened to her. Her eyes glowed, her voice softened and (thankfully) she put down the pointer. The teacher had been describing what an epiphany was and how it can occur when something unexpected and wonderful might come into our lives when we least expect it. It was startling to note that there was something nearly rhapsodic was about the way that Sister Sardo went on to describe a day when a train arrived in town when she was a girl. A reference to pre-convent days, much less girlhood, was highly unusual coming from a nun, so my ears perked up.

The nun's rigid posture relaxed, she moved toward her desk and sat on the edge of it while her words seemed to tumble out of her. Next to the railroad, Sister Sardo (what was her real name back then, I wondered d?) and her friends hadgathered as the last boxcar eased to a stop on a late summer day. The door of the freight car slid open. From the shadowy interior, a splendidly attired horse and rider alighted, wearing black and silver regalia and moving fluidly toward her and the other children present--it was Tom Mix riding Tony, the Wonder Horse. This man and his steed, neither of whom we had never heard of before, was something special to her, she explained. The years and the weight of her vows seemed to fall away as she described this smiling man and the way that Tony reared with Mix on his back while the horse's hooves waved through the air in greeting. Even more unlikely, she said, Tom Mix climbed down from the horse and spoke to each of the children clustered around him. None had money to visit the show he was scheduled to give that evening. Yet, the cowboy star encouraged the small girl who had grown up to be a nun to pet the velvety white nose of the highly intelligent Tony, a mixed breed horse who had been purchased for $18 and whose hoof prints appeared next to Mix's at Grauman's Chinese Theater.

There wasn't any profit to be made for Mix by sharing a few moments with a passel of ragamuffins during a tour of a failing circus. Yet, here we were, more than forty years later, reflecting on this precious memory and learning that the most improbable individuals have had their lives brightened by just such a seemingly trivial incident. The moment passed, the nun straightened up, and returned to asking us to consider the random power of incident in fiction and in reality in her customary erudite manner. The cowboy image had faded from movie screens, but clearly, not from her heart, as she proceeded to grill us about imagery, plot, themes and metaphors in George Eliot's novels.

But it was too late. We'd glimpsed the girl inside her all over again. Just as Tom Mix, who once slid inadvertently across a highly polished marble floor on his keester after entering a mansion wearing high heeled cowboy boots: "Go on and laugh. I'm just trying to be entertaining."

Sources:

Basinger, Jeanne, Silent Stars, Wesleyan Univ. Press, 2000.
Jensen, Richard D., The Amazing Tom Mix: The Most Famous Cowboy of the Movies, iUniverse, 2005.
"Tom Mix-Twentieth Century Knight of Adventure," The San Jose News, Dec. 1, 1931.

Some Tom Mix Films and Clips online can be seen here.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can't help but enjoy Blake Edwards' respectful film, SUNSET. No greatness to this one, but the fact that the story concerns Tom Mix and Wyatt Earp is good enough for me. Not many filmmakers would have ridden into that territory. There aren't many Blake Edwards.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Once Moira updates the Christmas Album, the festivities begin!!!

Absolutely! When I see the word DECEMBER on the calendar, I start thinking about Christmas. I don't need it to dictate half the year.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

What a great story about the Sister. Don't know if you know, but our very first Oasis Guest Star, Robert Birchard, has written a book about Mix (whom Bob has always had a soft spot for Mix):

http://www.rsbirchard.com/id15.html
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hey, Red,
Thanks for the encouragement. I wanted to like Sunset (1988), the Blake Edwards movie, since it had great potential as a take on the West and movies. I thought James Garner was terrific as Wyatt Earp, but probably will never quite forgive Bruce Willis for his portrayal of Tom Mix as a really mean-spirited b*****d. (I think Mix had some very dark angels to wrestle with, but I don't think he was a total weasel by any means). BTW, in The Garner Files, the actor James Garner mentions that Edwards had wanted Robert Duvall for the role of Mix, but settled for Willis, who ad-libbed throughout the whole movie. According to Garner, "At one point, I took [Bruce Willis] aside and gave him some friendly advice: 'No matter what you think, you're not a better writer than Blake Edwards.' He didn't listen. He just wasn't serious about the work. I've heard he's changed since then, and if so, more power to him." Maybe Bruce would do a better job in the role today?

Lynn, I wish I had access to Bob Birchard's book, King Cowboy: Tom Mix and the Movies, but my local library didn't have that book available when I began working on this entry in the annual holiday album. I hope to read that eventually, since I know what a blend of history and pure fun storytelling Bob's books can be. If others are interested, we were lucky enough to have Mr. Birchard as a Guest Author sometime ago. That conversation can be seen here.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

A bonus entry! Yeah for us.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."