Year-End TCM Remembers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Year-End TCM Remembers

Post by Lzcutter »

I got a chance to see the new year-end TCM Remembers spot this morning. It was shown early this morning between the Cat People movies (yeah for Tivo). I think that may have been its debut.

It definitely has a water theme. I'm not sure who the singer is but I thought overall it was very well done.

I think it may be the longest year-end tribute to date. I was surprised by the number of people who passed away this year who were included. Forrie Ackerman and Nina Foch were there but not Beverly Garland.

Perhaps the piece was locked and in the final stages of post-production (color-correction and mixing) when they got news that Garland had passed?

Anita Page was included for all those who were afraid she would be left off.

I think TCM does a much better job at remembering those who passed away than the Academy does at the Oscars each year.

I look forward to hearing other folk's reactions.
Last edited by Lzcutter on December 10th, 2008, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Lynn,

I totally agree with you that the Academy Awards show, "In Memoriam" is lacking in so many ways in paying tribute to those recently lost.....
But, this is the best forum for the world to see and honour everyone who contributed to their entertainment over the years.
This portion of their show should be expanded and all those dreary, excessive 'thank yous' should be cut out. People who say more than "Thank you to the Academy and all who helped me win this award!!" should be herded off the stage - yes even the Big Awards winners too...

TCM does a very good job of the remembrances and they are to be congratulated but this is only seen 'catch as catch can' by so fewer people than the Oscars.

As you know, I'd love to come to LA and repave Hollywood Boulevard with the correct & deserving Stars and also produce an Oscar show the way we'd all here do it properly!!
But, that will never happen.......

Larry
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

I alas no longer have access to TCM so could please list everyone who is remembered in it.

Possibly Beverly Garland is not included because her film work was almost all "B" and perhaps never at MGM or WB?

I couldn't imagine TCM possibly overlooking Anita Page, now that would have been an outrage to a huge chunk of their audience!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moviemagz,

There are over 60 people highlighted in the TCM Remembers that is currently playing.

It should be available in the Media Room on their website in the next couple of days. I will post a link here when it is.

I think Beverly Garland will probably be included in next year's year-end tribute.

Michael Kidd died just before last year's tribute aired and he is included in this year's.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw it tonight and they did squeeze in a shot of Van Johnson. I always thought that was why they had so many shots of the background, if you will, so that they could edit as the year went along.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

Are you sure it was Van Johnson. I watched the spot again today and did not see Van. Perhaps it was someone that looked like Van?

The spot premiered on Wednesday morning before Van died.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Lynn:

He's there. They squeezed Van in between Michael Pate and Isaac Hayes.

Just watched Michael Pate in "Westbound" with Randolph Scott (cue chorus.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

TCM Remembers 2008: This is the updated version with Van Johnson added to the piece. The music is "God only Knows" by Joe Henry.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks