Movie and TV Mistakes

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
markfp

Post by markfp »

knit-it, thanks for telling us about the goof in A CHRISTMAS CAROL. I don't know how many times I've seen the film and never noticed it before. Last weekend, I had some film buff friends over and showed it to them and we had a great laugh.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Movie and TV Mistakes

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw a pretty dumb one this morning. Watching, sort of, "Cheyenne" before work I found our hero leading a covered wagon with two women and a man as he rides along side. They stop when faced with Indians ahead of them. One Indian shoots an arrow in their direction and the woman is hit in the back. The arrow had to have had boomerang effect. Amazing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, I saw the KING of Dumb mistakes in a movie years ago. My two sons loved Chuck Norris, and we had to troop to every movie he made. In Firewalker, there is a real "bad" guy with an eyepatch. The eyepatch moved from one eye to the other, sometimes in the same scene! Even my 12 year old caught it. After he said something to me (rather loudly) about it, others in the audience picked up on it and it seems like we all started counting......
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Nancy,
As one who hasn't watched Chuck Norris consciously since The Octagon (1980)--those appearances he made with Mike Huckabee don't count, do they?--your humorous description of Firewalker (1986) had me giggling. Apparently, J. Lee Thompson, one of the great hack-directors of our day, had a gift for continuity errors such as that shifting eyepatch. Just look at all the goofs listed on IMDb just for Firewalker (1986):

* Continuity: The adventurers enter the first cave in broad daylight, but it's dark when they exit approximately five minutes later.

* Continuity: Max throws a gun into the water, even though Patricia had it in the last scene. A few minutes later, Patricia has the gun again.

* Continuity: Max shoots Coyote in the chest, but he is unwounded minutes later.

* Factual errors: Aztec" and "Mayan" are used interchangeably to refer to the hidden treasure and the culture that hid it.

* Factual errors: The marker to the Aztec treasure is a Christian icon.

* Continuity: The gold dagger that falls out of the shattered skull is considerably larger than the skull itself.

* Continuity: While Patricia is swimming to shore, Max jumps in and starts swimming. The camera pans back to Patricia and you can still see Max's legs sitting on top of the sinking car.

* Continuity: Leo is bound at the hands while hanging over the boiling water. After he and Max force the rope to snap near the middle, Leo's hands are somehow unbound.

* Continuity: Coyote' "blind eye" changes during the film. Early on, he hides the left eye but at the end of the movie, he has the right eye hidden.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Moira.
Yep, by the time we walked (staggered??) out of the movie, we were pretty disillusioned with old Chuck. What a mess that movie was! I think I'll try to find it, just for the snickers!!!
Nancy
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I saw To Wong Foo this weekend - the best performance Patrick Swayze ever gave.

At one point, Swayze's character gives a young storekeeper a battered paperback copy of Diana Vreeland's memoirs to read. In the next scene, supposedly minutes later, the young man is reading the book propped up on a counter, and it is a full-sized hardcover.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Chris

In the first Bonanza movie, Bonanza The Next Generation little Joe's wife Amanda tells Hoss' son that the big man was best man at her wedding. This is a mistake, as it was clearly forgotten that Joe married his first wife Alice in the Forever episode, not long after Hoss had died.

It appears Micheal Landon jnr discarded The Next Generation, even though it's still shown on tv, and remade it under another title, killing off Joe (Michael Landon snr died between the shooting of both films, as I think did John Ireland, who played Ben's brother Aaron) and Amanda, while creating a daughter for little Joe

The sums don't add up in The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings Again. In TJS, Al goes into a 3 yr retirement after filming 1936s Go To Your Dance, that would make the final scene in the night club 1939. In JSA, Al after a great comeback again retires for 6-yrs, then he becomes one of the first American entertainers to go overseas to sing for the troops. Trouble is 39 plus 6 is 45, the war should be over, not in it's early stages.
rudyfan

Re:

Post by rudyfan »

movieman1957 wrote:Judith:

That is one of my pet peeves too. Matt Dillon was always in those Kansas mountains.

Last week I watched "They Died With Their Boots On" and the Civil War battle at Manassas that was staged was shot somehwere that didn't look anything like Manassas.
Hmm, since I lived in Warrenton and drove by the battlefields every day on the way to the office up Route 29, I had better revisit They Died With Their Boots On to compare! :lol:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I found two beauties in the most recent episode of The Rockford Files that I watched. And they were in the same chase scene. The first one could only have been done when they were preparing these shows for syndication. The episode is from 1974 so Rockford is driving his 1974 Firebird except in TWO shots they show the 1977 Firebird!!!! Then the car chasing him backs over some road spikes blowing all four tires. Followed after a minute by the car coming out of the same parking lot on four good tires.

Also they in a two different driving scenes repeated shows used only a minute before. I guess they needed to pad a few seconds in these. It was awfully sloppy. Joseph Cotten was in it though.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Maybe I'm the last one to catch this one but "Strangers On A Train" has an issue with its seasons. Near the end during the tennis match they play it in the heat of the day and presumably summer as the trees are full of leaves. Then they come to the amusement park and they're bare. It took several months to get there.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Rockford Files is at it again. This time it is just sloppy post production work. Three separate shots of a plane trip show three different planes and a still photograph of a sign announcing the Seattle Airport.

A Corsair 880 or Boeing 720 takes off. A Boeing stock shot of a 747 shown in flight and a different 747 lands. They all have different striping.

It's just being lazy.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Flooper alert!!!!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

In Bonanza The Next Generation Amanda Cartwright tells Hoss' son that his father was best man at her wedding to little Joe. Did they forget or just ignore the fact Joe was briefly married to Alice in the classic episode Forever, after actor Dan Blocker tragically died young, so Hoss was killed off before the wedding
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings Again got their sums wrong.

In the film Jolson and his wife retired from the silver screen in 1936, but 3 years later he made a comeback in a night club at the end of TJS. At the begining of Jolson Sings Again Jolie is back on Broadway, but after a while he decides to take a break. 6-years later, after the death of his mother, Jolson decides to entertain the troops. The would make it at least 1945, but the film pointed out Jolson was one of the first U.S entertainers to go overseas to perform for the troops. America entered the war in 1941, so I imagine Jolson went overseas in 1942 at the latest, if not before.

I think to in Rocky 4 Sly Stallone as Rocky, got his sums wrong when he looked back at his boxing career
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

M.A.S.H Bloopers

In one episode Col. Sherman T. Potter (played by Harry Morgan) wore a standard green Army Shirt with his Colonel Insignia and Medical Insignia on his collars ... In that same scene ... 5 seconds later he wore a different shirt and this time his insignia was missing.