The Golden Globes

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello,

Well, so there's no freedom of speech here, eh!!
That's just what I thought 2 years ago when some of my posts were deleted and nobody would explain why - thanks for confirming my suspicions......

And yes, a couple of people did come down on Anne condemning her for her lack of compassion to two whom she perceived as not worthy of it.
I agree to a certain extent.

Whether I agree or disagree with any persons thoughts and perceptions, I always defend their right to have those very rights.

Since this is not a 'free speech' forum, then I see no further use in staying here and again may just disappear.
You and Jon can then happily censor whatever you like and you won't have me to chastize you.

Larry
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Larry:

Now you know when that happened to your posts nobody deleted them. There was a software problem and some were lost. No one could explain. As I recall there was nothing that was remotely wrong with what you put up so there was never any intention to do anything with your posts.

Jon has always been pretty laid back with what goes on. I think it seemed as if there was trouble coming and it was an attempt to step back and consider what was said. Truth be told this is a private enterprise. There are certain things that cannot be posted for legal reasons and matters of decorum. We deleted a poster who had some weird picture on here yesterday that certainly didn't fit our this forum.

No one was censored. No posts were deleted. In fact the only time I know something was deleted here in the past carried a reason for all to see.

If you have any concerns PM me or Moira or if needed we can talk about them here.

Don't go anywhere. All is well.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Larry, Larry, Larry . . .
To begin with, I was not even addressing my last post directly to you, but, as long as we're on the subject: what part of "not a public forum" do you not understand?
This is a website where all of our members are more than welcome to express any opinions they like, whenever they like, as long as they keep their statements within the simple, fair, respectful, nearly-common-sense guidelines clearly explained in our Code of Conduct.
Stop to consider: anybody's welcome to buy a ticket to see a movie in practically any theatre in America, or shop in any department store, or dine in most any restaurant . . but if you start irritating or offending other people in those establishmnets, or you insist on continuing to break their rules, then you're going to be told that you need to behave. Now, would you tell the people employed by the theatre, or the store, or the restaurant, that you have a right to behave however you want, say whatever you feel like to anyone else you please?
You seem to also have some confusion over what censor means; to censor means to use governmental authority to block or cancel material from being published, or broadcast, or exhibited in a public venue.
I think the word that would better fit your complaint is "censure", which describes the efforts of a body of peers to reduce or suspend an individual's priviledge of statement based on behavior that is contrary towards the goals of the group. Censuring, as a punitive measure, is done most often, in modern America, in private fraternal orders, collegiate faculties and on the floor of Congress.
Frankly, either term is pretty inapplicable here at SSO.
And I seem to remember that four of this site's moderators bent backwards repeatedly trying to help you understad that the post of your which disappeared was one of over a dozen random posts from a handful of members which were lost due to a software failure which knocked the entire site offline & accidentally dumped all the newest postings. Jon not only worked hard to rectify that "crash", but he posted explanations afterward under "Announcements", and when you began pitching a fit back then about being "censored", I distinctly remember how hard and how often Jon & Lynn & Moira tried to explain to you that the vanishing of your post had nothing to do with anybody's deliberate action.
You wouldn't listen then . . but I sure hope you'll listen this time.
Larry, everybody here enjoys & appreciates each & every one of your posts about movies & hollywood & the old-time stars, and deeply value your opinions on those subjects, and your wonderfully droll sense of humor . . and I am certainly no exception! Many of us have gotten to know you so well here at SSO, we consider you to be a friend . . and you can never have too many of those! The day this past year when you returned to the Silver Screen Oasis, was a day of great joy for those of us who remembered you and missed your contributions to our community.
I'd like to suggest you actually review what is spelled out in our Code of Conduct, and really, read it word-for-word . . it's not complex, or hefty, or even very long.
And please, Larry, don't over-react this time.
You are a cherished member of this community, Sir; I believe I speak for virtually everybody when I say that we don't want to start missing you all over again!
Last edited by klondike on January 12th, 2009, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryce

Post by bryce »

I fail to see what I did wrong and would appreciate public clarification. I was not the only one to call Anne heartless (this site's most esteemed poster did as well) and I was not the only one to refute her many incorrect assertions.

I thought, very, very carefully about what I said and how I said it and continue to do so here. My choice of word and phrasing is very deliberate.

While I have no problem with a leaderless empire, there is nothing I despise more than an empire in which the only one who knows where the line is is constantly re-drawing it. You have bent over backwards for Anne and this forum has suffered gravely for it (cue comments regarding the grace and tolerance with which the administration handle me).

It wasn't constant flamewarring that destroyed TCM - it was ineffective management and the inability for carebears to take out the trash. Allowing Anne, or anyone like her, to continue to exist on a forum, simply for her sake alone, is what destroys communities.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do Moira a favor and throw myself in a dumpster. I'm past my sell-by date and have gone flat. (Yeah, yeah, you've all heard that one before)
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

CNN posted the following article about Mickey Rourke today:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

It's really worth reading if you get the chance.

While I highly doubt he'll win the Academy Award (and, truth to tell, can't say whether or not he should - I've not seen most of the likely nominees this year), I nevertheless have to admit I'm pulling for him to win just after reading what he's been through since his career tanked during the 1990s. Entertainment Weekly has speculated that despite the brouhaha, he'll still be passed over for a nomination. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen, but given the Academy's potential for pettiness, it wouldn't be surprising.

Owing in part to illness and the other part reticence to shoot off my own mouth about what I believe should be the rule concerning posting about any topic on any internet forum (i.e., "Live by the sword, die by the sword"), I've not commented on the rest of what's gone down in this thread and earlier tried to lighten the mood - that is, until now. But I'll let the preceding suffice and instead say that I hope I misinterpreted Bryce's post (above) as a goodbye message. Earlier last year I hated that we lost JohnM due to the fact that his opinions about life and film, while perhaps out of step with many, were nevertheless articulated well and often provided a different insight into any given issue. And I feel the same way about Bryce. I enjoy reading his posts and, whether I agree or disagree, I still find his opinions well-written and thought-provoking. My own opinion, for what it's worth.

EDIT: Well, I see he's still with us, so in the words of Emily Litella, "Never mind."

-Stephen
klondike

Post by klondike »

srowley75 wrote: Earlier last year I hated that we lost JohnM due to the fact that his opinions about life and film, while perhaps out of step with many, were nevertheless articulated well and often provided a different insight into any given issue. And I feel the same way about Bryce. I enjoy reading his posts and, whether I agree or disagree, I still find his opinions well-written and thought-provoking. My own opinion, for what it's worth.
Stephen, it just so happens that the opinions you've expressed are pretty darn identical to the feelings of myself & my fellow Moderators; even when an aggravated situation forces us to take a supervisory role to help members work-out little conflicts, we still actively appreciate the contributions of virtually every single member, because lets face it, beyond the personal enjoyment we derive from interacting & sharing with those individuals, diversity really is the most vital component of any fan-based website . . . which is one of the many reasons the Moderators here prefer to walk softly, and carry no stick at all!
Perhaps the only facts I would request that everybody try to remember regarding JohnM, are that all we Mods ever asked him to do during that final spell of contention was to please be less hostile, in word and tone, in his postings, and to please stick a little more closely to the basic guidelines of our Code of Conduct . . that was all. Also, don't forget that JohnM's departure was entirely his own idea and decision, made, I believe, with great spontaneity & passion, as was his decision to engineer the complete deletion of every single one of his voluminous SSO postings, and even all trackable evidence of his membership.
Like yourself, we frequently remember, & miss him . . his voice here was a unique one; and also, like yourself, we are happy & relieved to see that Bryce is still here with us!