PBS Shows Going Online

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

PBS Shows Going Online

Post by moira finnie »

The Public Broadcasting Corporation has announced that they will be allowing access to hundreds of hours of their programming online, including such programs as the American Masters series with dazzling profiles of giant figures in 20th century entertainment as diverse as John Ford, Gene Kelly, Leonard Bernstein and Duke Ellington. Other shows, such as the recent You Must Remember This: The Warner Brothers Story, are expected to be online soon.

From a New York Times Bits Blog report on this development:
There’s a lot of programming on the new site, including several years worth of episodes of many PBS programs including “Frontline,” “Nova,” “The American Experience,” the “Newshour with Jim Lehrer” and “Antiques Roadshow,” the highest-rated show on the network. Cooking fans may enjoy a library of the Julia Childs shows[...but some programming will not be online]. For example, much of the programming on “Masterpiece Theater” is owned by the BBC, which will allow shows to be available on PBS.com for only a few weeks.
You can access the video player for the PBS shows here: http://www.pbs.org/video
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: PBS Shows Going Online

Post by movieman1957 »

"The American Experience" has often been a great show. I caguth one several years ago on the Battle of The Bulge. It was great. It was moving, troubling and enlightening at the same time.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:"The American Experience" has often been a great show. I caguth one several years ago on the Battle of The Bulge. It was great. It was moving, troubling and enlightening at the same time.
I remember that one about the Battle of The Bulge well too, Chris, which had particular significance for me since my father was there throughout that period. (I half watch documentaries about that stage of the war, foolishly hoping to catch a glimpse of a young Dad). I still remember the heartbreaking eyewitness accounts and the images from that program. My local PBS station tends to show that one around Memorial Day, but it would be great if people could see it in other venues now too.

Another recent American Experience show that was broadcast last October (oh, how appropriate!) was The Crash of 1929, which interviewed a range of men and women who lived through that period, as well as describing the forces that led to it. Have you watched any part of the current 5 part The American Experience program, We Shall Remain, about the American Indians' abiding presence on this continent? I seem to only remember these shows when seeing the commercials! Too much good stuff gets missed.

I would imagine that this accessibility will make these programs phenomenal teaching tools for kids as well as the rest of us. They really stimulate my interest when I do have time to see them.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I've been hoping for this forever. I'm always surprised that these networks haven't used the YouTube-type service before now. I don't know if TCM really advocates YouTube's "TCM Remembers" series, but I appreciate that they haven't forced YouTube to drop those clips. I wish they'd stick more out there - I'd like to see every film's Intro's & Outro's stuck on either TCM.COM or YouTube, and especially for these Guest Programmers, if our friends would agree to such.

Actually, that may not be a great idea - CineMaven, MissG and everyone else has probably had one stalker-unwanted-follower experience in their past, and a continuous Internet 'presence' might bring even creepier folks than me out! Darn - and that IS saying something! ha ha