TCM Classic Film Union

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

TCM Classic Film Union

Post by moira finnie »

The TCM Classic Film Union is up and running. You can find more about it here, if you'd like to check it out.
I've no more info than others about it, except that it might be a new way to enjoy TCM on line. If I discover more, I'll post it here. I hope that you will share your impressions too.
http://www.tcm.com/fan/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Re: TCM Classic Film Union

Post by klondike »

Looks & sounds terrific . . !
But I'm a little confused . . I just went through the entire registration process, only to be told that my user name, password, & email address is "already in use . ."
Which would indicate that my TCM Board membership had somehow carried me over to this new Union . .
Except I'm not named on the New Members role . .
Hmmmm . . . .
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Klondike, if you're already a TCM member it looks like you will become a member of the Union without registering. I just "visited" the site one day and discovered on returning that I was a "member"! This happened to several others who are registered at TCM...if you go back in I bet you'll see your name in the "New Members" section.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ahh, good news then, my suspicions were correct!
Thank you, April! :mrgreen:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey guys,

If you are familiar with Facebook, the TCM Classic Film Union, is very similar. Kyle and I were asked about two months ago to test drive the site, so I hope you will find us and "friend" us. We are a couple of pages back in the main Friends forum.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Lynn:

We're friends. You like me. You really like me.

BTW, is there a link from the main TCM page? It works from the fan site to the main page but I don't see it the other way around.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

me too, me too!!!!! Sally Field, Move OVER!!!!!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ok, I know I'm technologically challenged, but what exactly is the point of the site? Any discussions just throw you back to the message boards (UGH!) at TCM city. Is this just a profile type thing, where you can list favorite movies, etc? I love my friends, but now I'm getting some "friend" requests from people I've never heard of or about. And it looks like the favorite movies list is limited to those shown on TCM. Am I wrong?

I sure prefer this place!!!!!! wish we had a heart smiley!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes -- it just goes to show that the medium is the message. I think they are doing it just because they can, and because they think it's expected (and not least because they are trying to enlist the younger generation). I don't see anything wrong with trying to present Classic Hollywood in a format the Twitter generation can deal with. If it wins new converts, it's a good thing, no?

We can hope that if this thing actually takes off, TCM will think a little more carefully about what this site new is really for and what it should be doing.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I thought it might be fun to post a link to some things in their media room that are some of my favorite scenes. I tried this when there were some problems there so I'm no sure whether it was me or them. I guess you could blog here just as well but with a different format.

I am generally techincally challenged so I will have to learn a few things if I'm to make anything of it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

I joined this site too, but still have not done much....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I added a great many pictures but now that I'm familiar with the place, the bloom is off. Now I know why I never went onto MySpace or Facebook. B-O-R-I-N-G.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:I added a great many pictures but now that I'm familiar with the place, the bloom is off. Now I know why I never went onto MySpace or Facebook. B-O-R-I-N-G.
Likewise! Just my feelings in relation with Facebook.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I added a great many pictures but now that I'm familiar with the place, the bloom is off. Now I know why I never went onto MySpace or Facebook. B-O-R-I-N-G.
THANK GOODNESS!!!!!! I really thought I was a fuddy-duddy! I just can't see any point to it! I'd rather be here, where EVERYBODY is my "friend".
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I'll pile on, too. As imagined with FaceBook, MySpace, etc, "Uh, what does it do now? Just lay there? Up, boy! Speak!! Roll over!! Fetch, boy, fetch!!"

Nope.

But I did post a lot of photos of character actors who I'd never "put names to". RayF pointed me to a few more, and I'll keep scrounging around. Maybe that's a good topic here.