HELP WITH A DILEMMA

Chit-chat, current events
silentscreen

Re: HELP WITH A DILEMMA

Post by silentscreen »

It's so hard to let go of a cherished pet that has become part of your family. I had to put my dog Sadie down, and when it comes to my current dog Chester, it won't be any easier. You just have to hang onto the fact that they've led good lives, but when that quality of life is gone, it's better that they are at peace. So sorry about Fred, Alison! I know he's a good cat.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Dear Friend, please listen to Birdy! She said everything I would also say. You must see a doctor as soon as possible, and her advice about handling work calls and work people is spot-on. No one yet has finished up their life wishing they had spent more time at work and less time at home with family.
I'm so sorry about your Fred, my Charlie has seen me through a terrible time of sadness and grief. It is right to see him through to the end, even though it is a hard thing to endure. I'm so glad Chris is there beside you, and Joe and Libby are both joys in your life. I hope you know that we are a part of your family, too, and we care about your well being.
hugs to you
Nancy
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

You've all given me the good advice I've needed to hear. Yesterday I was frustrated that I was still so tired and knew that to push myself too hard would make me physically ill. Now I know it was probably the start of the tonsillitis and the tonsillitis is probably a result of the stress my body has gone through over this past couple of weeks. I've been to a pharmacist, they are our first port of call seeing as the doctors are so busy, if I can't clear it by Tuesday I will get an emergency appointment with a doctor but it won't be my own. I will ring my own GP on Monday and get the required sick note from him, this I know I won't have a problem with, he's known me since I was 15 and knows I'm not a malingerer. Tonsillitis and me have a relationship evry so often it comes around to get me again and I'm too scared of hospitals to have them removed.

Although I'm not doing my job I'm don't get much chance to sit down during the day, at the moment I've been taking every opportunity to put my feet up. There's absolutely no sitting down when Joe is around, I wish I knew where he gets his energy from, I'd bottle it and sell it for a good price. I still have people viewing the house who want to buy it (I sold it to the builder and my part of the deal is to show people around when they want to come) I see people quite regularly too, so I know I'm doing the right things.

Poor Fred, in my heart I knew he was becoming an old dear, I just wanted him to slip away and to find him at peace. My horror of hospitals spreads to the vets to. There is a chance they can up his medication but have to test his kidneys first which they think are failing. Poor boy he's going to have the stress of a move soon, then I think we'll lose him soon after. I knew there were animal lovers on this board and animal lovers know what to say.

This may seem hard but I can't dwell or think too much about him, I cried this morning and now I've hardened up. I've another cat too who is just so fat, one thin cat one fat cat, the fat cat might find himself on a diet soon.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

It's OK not to think too much.
Just live.
B
charliechaplinfan

My throat was so bad last night it kept me awake, in fact I got so fed up I brought a sleeping bag downstairs and got a book and started reading. This morning the pain from my throat is unbearable and I can't speak. So I had to go to the emergency doctor who gave me some antibiotics, he said the infection has taken very firm hold and it might take a couple of doses to get rid of it.

Ever tried not talking, it's HARD especially when used to being a chatterbox :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

A sore throat is no fun at all! It's difficult to swallow and a constant pang. I hope the meds kick in and get rid of it soon! It's entirely possible that the onset of that was what was causing you to feel so exhausted. Feel better soon! :wink:
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning Alison,

I'll tell you what my brother in law once said to me. He said that even though I'm not a doctor, nobody knows my body as well as I do, and to not listen to what it's trying to tell me would be just plain foolish. I guess the perfect analogy would be that "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." (Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues) Do what your heart and your head tell you to do and you'll be just fine in the end. Remember that work is just the means to that end. It provides for the basic necessities of life, but it rarely satisfies you spiritually. Wow, another lyric just jumped headfirst into my mind. This time it's from Jackson Browne's Running On Empty. "Gotta do what you can just to keep your love alive. Tryin hard not to confuse it with what you do to survive." From what you've written, I'd say you've got a pretty good grasp of the situation. Follow your heart but listen to your head for the best route to take. Everything will work out fine. You'll see.

As always, Hollis

P.S. I've adopted a second cat from my veterinarian's menagerie. Her name is Punkin and she's half the size of Oscar but she stands her ground really well and won't let him push her around. As a matter of fact, she's tearing that concept of the Alpha male all to shreds! But what a sweet little girl she is. She's worked her way into my heart in a big way and she's only been here since the 22nd of April. Now they'll both have another four legged creature to play with!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have had tonsillitis bouts before, and when I had it the first time, my throat closed up so quickly that within one night I went from normal to sounding like Kermit the Frog. It was extremely painful.

I was flat on my back for two weeks recuperating, so make sure you take it easy and let it get completely out of your system. I remember it was torture, because it was before VHS tapes, and I was so bored, but was too weak to get up. One night I literally cried for two hours, because the best thing on TV was the movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with the Bee Gees. Talk about torture.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Alison - Hope you're feeling better soon.
Anything left in that Forbidden Hollywood set to cheer you up?
Thinking of you, B

Hollis,
What color is your new cat?
She sounds like a sweetie.
B
charliechaplinfan

Hollis, I think your brother talked sense, thanks for sharing it with us. So far the meds haven't kicked in but from expereince it usually takes a good nights sleep to make them start working.

Hollis, Punkin sounds absolutely adorable. I'm sure Oscar will soon be quite the father. What colour is she? Tell us more.....
charliechaplinfan

An update on Fred, fingers crossed everyone, he has had some costly blood tests, tomorrow he goes in for the day to have his system flushed out of the toxins that are attacking his kidneys. Seems the medication that controls his thyroid has worked too well and is pressuring his kidneys, altering the dosage and flushing out his system should buy him quality time. That is what is important to us, we don't begrudge the money if he gets quality of life back. We were prepard to let him go but looks like he has a chance. He is one smashing cat.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Good for Fred! and good for you, Alison. You needed some good news, for sure.

Give Mr. Fred a scratch behind the ears for me
Nancy
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Birdy and Alison!

Punkin is sort of a medium gray with black tiger stripes, and is a gorgeous little girl. She has a creamy underside and bright, greenish gold eyes. Except for the first night she was with us, I don't think I've ever heard her meow! She communicates with a number of sounds that emanate from her throat. She'd make a perfect ventriloquist's dummy! I've never come across a cat that "talked" that way before. It's an absolutely endearing quality, and is just as cute as cute can be. Oscar is still a bit put out by another cat moving into his territory, but is slowly coming around to where he realizes she's not here to take his place but to compliment him. I wish there were some way that I could make him understand that I brought her home so that they would each have a four legged "friend" to play with. Unfortunately, I still don't speak feline! But the rift between them is growing just a bit narrower day by day. She's won me over completely, that's for sure. Then again, when it comes to cats? I'm an easy mark. A cat would have to be the equivalent of a pit bull for me not to love it! I have a really nice digital camera but I've been totally remiss in learning to use it. Just a bit longer and I'll be able to upload a picture of the two of them so you can see them for yourselves. I hope this note finds the two of you in good health and spirits. I know you've been dealing with a case of laryngitis (it must really be hard to be a woman and have it! Just teasing...) Alison, but this too shall pass. When you're over it, fire up Skype and we can have a good long chat. It's been too long since we've spoken. Birdy, it sounds as if you're in the pink. Stay that way, okay? I'll "talk" to the both of you later. Be well and take care!

All my best, Hollis
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Congratulations Alison! Fred is an adorable cat, and I'm glad he has a chance at a quality life!It's always worth it! Congrats on your new feline friend too Hollis! :D Can't wait to see some pictures!
charliechaplinfan

Hollis she sounds so adorable, I can't wait to see the pictures. I too am an easy mark when it cats, I don't question the paying to get my cat better, as long as it's in the cat's interest. People at the school gates were in two camps, people who would never consider spending a penny on an animal and those who would almost bankrupt themselves. Fred is back and I don't begrudge a penny and he has eaten something. I don't think I could have beared losing him at this time. He needs a lot of fuss tonight :D

You're right it was hard not having a voice, I know I'm the chatty type.