A pre Bond, Bond type of film

stuart.uk

A pre Bond, Bond type of film

Post by stuart.uk »

I watched I Was Monty's Double today and though the film was based on fact, I thought writer Bryan Forbes, who also acted in the film, wrote a screenplay that was familar to Bond, in fact Ian Fleming maybe inspired him.

The film was about 2 rate actor M.E. Clifton James, who was hired by the British Secret Service to impersonate Field Marshal Montgomerie, just before and during the D-Day landings in order to confuse the Germans. I do wonder if Forbes took liberties by having two assination attempts on the fake Monty, more so the 2nd one which really did look like it came out from a Bond movie. James played himself in the movie

Heres where I thought the similar links where to Bond

John Mills played the James Bond like role, full of charm and wit. He was so good I wonder if he could have been a good Bond himself.

He walked into his boss' office and chatted up the assistant played by busty blonde Vera Day. Vera was later replaced by the slightly older Barbara Hicks, but though she was a more approriate looking assistant, she seemed to still have a good working relationship with Mills, who at one point kissed her on the cheek.

Cecil Parker was the head of the organization. He was like M
Ollie

Re: A pre Bond, Bond type of film

Post by Ollie »

This is one of those films that I forget to remember! Such a good piece of work by John Mills, too. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get this!

Actually, it's films like this - and ICE COLD IN ALEX, MORNING DEPARTURE among others - that makes me wonder why Alec Guinness gets his DVDs pressed into North American hands but John Mills gets so few (HOBSON's just made it in with MORNING in the past year - ICE COLD never has). I've never done a detailed comparison of the two, but I keep running across very impressive Mills films and only occasionally see a Guinness film that comes close (LAVENDAR is probably the one I'll notice when it's on, or occasionally pull it off the shelf for re-watching. Mills, however, has 5 or 6 in that status).
stuart.uk

Re: A pre Bond, Bond type of film

Post by stuart.uk »

ollie

Recomended Mills classics

In Which We Serve-Above Us The Waves-Waterloo Road-The Way To The Stars-This Happy Breed-Great Expectations-Scott Of The Antartic-I Was Monty's Double-Morning Departure-Hobson's Choice-The Colditz Story-Ice Cold In Alex-It's Great To Be Young-Tunes Of Glory-Tiger Bay-Swiss Family Robinson-The Family Way-Ryan's Daughter-The Thirty Nine Steps-Ghandi