new forum suggestion

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
EP Millstone

Re: new forum suggestion

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:44 pm Frankly, we don't have moderators right now, besides me and very occasionally movieman. Neither of us has time to be here as often as we'd like, and I generally stick to the technical stuff rather than the "moderating" things like reported posts, locking threads or banning people, that sort of thing . . .
Are you looking for moderators?

I'd volunteer, with the understanding that I'm still working full-time (I'm currently on a holiday break, which is why I've been able to romp more on the SSO lately). I moderated a forum several years ago, and my style is to moderate with a very light hand -- perhaps too light according to the SSO description of moderators. I have a very liberal attitude regarding "users . . . going off-topic" and, to me, "abusive or offensive material" is in the eye of the beholder. To wit, I have no interest in playing "baby sitter" to adults . . . even when they act like babies.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm,

Since you responded to my request and I "have you on the line," what are "guests"?

The SSO seems to have a lot of guests online -- indeed more online guests than online members. Are guests visitors to the SSO? And do guests include SSO members who visit the SSO without logging in?
Masha

Post by Masha »

scsu1975 wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 4:10 pm
Hmm ... I would consider Tor Johnson movies to be in their own genre - to say nothing of Marie Osmond films.
I agree that Tor Johnson movies are a class by themselves.

I must admit that I am a little surprised and shocked by your suggestion of Marie Osmond films. I did not think that gentlemen mentioned such things in polite company.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

EP Millstone wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:36 pm Lomm,

Since you responded to my request and I "have you on the line," what are "guests"?

The SSO seems to have a lot of guests online -- indeed more online guests than online members. Are guests visitors to the SSO? And do guests include SSO members who visit the SSO without logging in?
Guests are just what you say. Visitors who are not logged in.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 4:50 pm
ElCid wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 3:38 pm It appears that some people want to completely remake the SOS board. Get one accommodation and then request another change - ad infinitum.
. . . says the guy who requested a Noir City forum.

I don't see anything wrong with continuous improvement.
I made one suggestion to add a thread on Noir Alley under the TCM section since it is a weekly program on TCM.
There is nothing wrong with suggestions, but you apparently want to remake the SSO board. Any you get upset if anyone challenges you on it or disagrees with you - as many of your almost 400 posts since Oct. would show.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Masha

Post by Masha »

ElCid wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:58 am There is nothing wrong with suggestions, but you apparently want to remake the SSO board. Any you get upset if anyone challenges you on it or disagrees with you - as many of your almost 400 posts since Oct. would show.
I am sorry to have to tell you that you must have missed the memo: EPM is the Lord, thy God, and all must bow before Him. The forum must be remade into His divine image. Only His opinion is valid. Only His experience applies. Only His conclusions are worthy of consideration. Any who do not kiss His ... 'ring' ... must be belittled, bullied and harassed into submission.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: January 4th, 2023, 11:41 am I am sorry to have to tell you that you must have missed the memo: EPM is the Lord, thy God, and all must bow before Him. The forum must be remade into His divine image. Only His opinion is valid. Only His experience applies. Only His conclusions are worthy of consideration. Any who do not kiss His ... 'ring' ... must be belittled, bullied and harassed into submission.
By George, I think she's got it!
Last edited by EP Millstone on January 4th, 2023, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:58 am . . . There is nothing wrong with suggestions, but you apparently want to remake the SSO board . . .
I want to improve the board. Feel free to join me.

More forums are too difficult for the moderators to manage? No problem! In which case, I respectfully suggest that this topic (new forum suggestion) be closed or locked, since a limit has been reached and there is no more "room at the inn."

Plan B: I suggest changing the name of the Film Noir and Crime forum to Thrillers, to more broadly encompass the movies that I listed in my earlier response.
ElCid wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:58 am . . . Any you get upset if anyone challenges you on it or disagrees with you . . .
This from the guy -- the only guy -- who repeatedly requests a Dislike or Disagree button.
ElCid wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:58 am . . . as many of your almost 400 posts since Oct. would show.
Ohhhhh, stalking me, eh?

Note to Self: Consider getting a restraining order against ElCid.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: January 4th, 2023, 2:03 pm
ElCid wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:58 am . . . There is nothing wrong with suggestions, but you apparently want to remake the SSO board . . .
I want to improve the board. Feel free to join me.

More forums are too difficult for the moderators to manage? No problem! In which case, I respectfully suggest that this topic (new forum suggestion) be closed or locked, since a limit has been reached and there is no more "room at the inn."

Plan B: I suggest changing the name of the Film Noir and Crime forum to Thrillers, to more broadly encompass the movies that I listed in my earlier response.
ElCid wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:58 am . . . Any you get upset if anyone challenges you on it or disagrees with you . . .
This from the guy -- the only guy -- who repeatedly requests a Dislike or Disagree button.
ElCid wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:58 am . . . as many of your almost 400 posts since Oct. would show.
Ohhhhh, stalking me, eh?

Note to Self: Consider getting a restraining order against ElCid.
:lol:
EP Millhouse: Your responses above prove my points. Thank you.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:39 pm

I can use as example: Serenity (2005). It is science fiction because the setting is in space and on various planets. It is war because the Reavers are against the Alliance. It is horror because of the constant threat of what Reavers do to civilians. It is mystery because no one know why the Alliance seeks to capture River Tam. It is crime because the main characters are thieves and smugglers. It is action because fights range from one-on-one to battle fleet-against-battle fleet. It is political thriller because a secret could bring down the government. It is western because many people wear six-shooters and ride horses and many areas are mostly 18th Century subsistence with a minimal amount of futuristic technology. It happens to be also a delightfully funny movie.
In other words, it is science fiction. IMO. The setting in this case is operative. The other genres you mention are secondary in this case.

But a nice exercise in confusion. ;-)
Mona
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Not to detract from her point but “war” is almost universally used to denote real life historical battles recreated for film or parodies of said historical battles. A sci fi war is definitely not the war category as it would be used on here.
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: January 4th, 2023, 8:31 pm
In other words, it is science fiction. IMO. The setting in this case is operative. The other genres you mention are secondary in this case.
The setting is a convenience. The same story could be set in the northern provinces of 17th Century China or the Mediterranean Sea during the Bronze Age.

Would you call: Throne of Blood (1957) a Japanese historical drama because it is set on Mt. Fuji and the actors are in period dress or would you identify it first and foremost as an adaptation of: Macbeth?

Do you call: Solaris (1972) science fiction despite the fact that it is set on a space station only to provide isolation and claustrophobia and could easily have been set on an 18th Century island or in a deep 19th Century Cornish mine? Even IMDb.com lists it as: 'drama' and 'mystery' with science fiction bringing up the rear.

I consider: Serenity (2005) first and foremost romance because Simon and Kaylee finally get together despite all that stood in their way.
Masha

Post by Masha »

LostHorizons wrote: January 4th, 2023, 8:37 pm Not to detract from her point but “war” is almost universally used to denote real life historical battles recreated for film or parodies of said historical battles. A sci fi war is definitely not the war category as it would be used on here.
I question your assumption that your definition is: "almost universally used". It is common to base war movies on historical battles but it is far from a requirement. Would a movie set during the Trojan war have been labeled: 'fantasy' before Heinrich Schliemann discovered that Troy was an actual place? Would it be labeled: 'fantasy' even today because there is so little evidence that a war truly took place?

Is: Force 10 from Navarone (1978) not a war movie because the actions depicted are entirely fictional?

Are: D.A.D. (2016) or Hakuchi (1999) or Anthar l'invincibile (1964) or Dr. Strangelove (1964) not war movies simply because the war depicted is an extrapolation of what might have happened?
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Masha wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:37 pm
LostHorizons wrote: January 4th, 2023, 8:37 pm Not to detract from her point but “war” is almost universally used to denote real life historical battles recreated for film or parodies of said historical battles. A sci fi war is definitely not the war category as it would be used on here.
I question your assumption that your definition is: "almost universally used". It is common to base war movies on historical battles but it is far from a requirement. Would a movie set during the Trojan war have been labeled: 'fantasy' before Heinrich Schliemann discovered that Troy was an actual place? Would it be labeled: 'fantasy' even today because there is so little evidence that a war truly took place?

Is: Force 10 from Navarone (1978) not a war movie because the actions depicted are entirely fictional?

Are: D.A.D. (2016) or Hakuchi (1999) or Anthar l'invincibile (1964) or Dr. Strangelove (1964) not war movies simply because the war depicted is an extrapolation of what might have happened?
Yes to all of them. WWII and the Cold War were still real even if the events of the movie were not.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: January 4th, 2023, 11:41 am
ElCid wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:58 am There is nothing wrong with suggestions, but you apparently want to remake the SSO board. Any you get upset if anyone challenges you on it or disagrees with you - as many of your almost 400 posts since Oct. would show.
I am sorry to have to tell you that you must have missed the memo: EPM is the Lord, thy God, and all must bow before Him. The forum must be remade into His divine image. Only His opinion is valid. Only His experience applies. Only His conclusions are worthy of consideration. Any who do not kiss His ... 'ring' ... must be belittled, bullied and harassed into submission.
And we thought the guy 'over there' was bad.
Mona