What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
Allhallowsday

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Allhallowsday »

jimimac71 wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 2:49 pm :From "Surf Sounds" on Accuradio:
I love Surf music. That's nice... this is what I listen to, including right now:

Endless Summer Legends

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Allhallowsday wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:57 pm
jimimac71 wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 2:49 pm :From "Surf Sounds" on Accuradio:
I love Surf music. That's nice... this is what I listen to, including right now:

Endless Summer Legends

Surfer Joe was the B-side to Wipe Out. Unfortunately the 45 RPM wasn't in stereo. They were mono until later in the 60s.
I enjoy instrumental surf music and really love good stereo sound.
The 1960s really nailed it.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jimimac71 wrote: May 25th, 2024, 12:24 pm ...Surfer Joe was the B-side to Wipe Out. Unfortunately the 45 RPM wasn't in stereo. They were mono until later in the 60s.
Okay, I was born in 1961 and was listening to our cousin's BEATLES 45s (and many more) by 1968. For me, I love a great recording and some are better in Mono.

The collection I listen to is 80 percent Surf guitar; I skip most of the inclusions of vocal groups. I love THE BEACH BOYS who are well represented, but they AINT surf guitar. But the collection has all of those wonderful Surf guitar 45 essentials. "Surf Riders" "Diamond-head" "Theme from Endless Summer" ...
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Allhallowsday wrote: May 25th, 2024, 2:03 pm
jimimac71 wrote: May 25th, 2024, 12:24 pm ...Surfer Joe was the B-side to Wipe Out. Unfortunately the 45 RPM wasn't in stereo. They were mono until later in the 60s.
Okay, I was born in 1961 and was listening to our cousin's BEATLES 45s (and many more) by 1968. For me, I love a great recording and some are better in Mono.

The collection I listen to is 80 percent Surf guitar; I skip most of the inclusions of vocal groups. I love THE BEACH BOYS who are well represented, but they AINT surf guitar. But the collection has all of those wonderful Surf guitar 45 essentials. "Surf Riders" "Diamond-head" "Theme from Endless Summer" ...
One thing I'm not good at here is quoting and editing properly. So there is more than is necessary.
Okay, the Beatles music before they came to America was excellent mono.
I can agree that good mono is better than bad stereo.
The soundtrack to American Graffiti on CD has this song (same as the video) in stereo and it is a little longer than the 45 version on the American Graffiti soundtrack on LP. With the LPs, the sides were One backed by Four. Then Two backed by Three, for those of us with record changers. They would play in proper sequence.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

LES PAUL & MARY FORD WARM AND WONDERFUL

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Yeah. Record changers.

I love THE FLEETWOODS. They were the first act in the Top 40 era to have 2 #1 hits in the same year.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I found this quite by accident and "The Needle" caught my eye.
It is from the Netherlands, which explains different equipment.
Mr. Radio Guy is fascinated by the Grundig record player.
It resembles the old BSR turntables but is not a changer.
Amazing to me that it has variable speed control, in the event it is idler/platter drive.
I didn't see that feature until direct drive turntables appeared.
I could have picked a better song. My 45 is in stereo.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

My father was proud of our Grundig stereo console...
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I've been listening to an audiobook of Harper Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD read by Sissy Spacek.
I'm not really a fan of the movie adaptation (I mean, it's okay), but I do recall liking the novel when I read it in high school although I haven't re-read it since then.

The book is told in the first person, narrated by the adult Jean Louis ("Scout") Finch, recalling the events from her childhood that led up to her older brother breaking his arm.

I'm only up to Chapter 3, but I am really enjoying it so far.
Sissy Spacek does an excellent job of making the text come alive, and it's wonderful hearing it read by someone with an authentic Southern accent.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE STOOGES Fun House

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 25th, 2024, 7:51 pm I've been listening to an audiobook of Harper Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD read by Sissy Spacek...I'm only up to Chapter 3, but I am really enjoying it so far. Sissy Spacek does an excellent job of making the text come alive, and it's wonderful hearing it read by someone with an authentic Southern accent.

She is also a wonderful actress, no doubt imparting the emotion of the narrative.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 25th, 2024, 7:51 pm I've been listening to an audiobook of Harper Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD read by Sissy Spacek.
I'm not really a fan of the movie adaptation (I mean, it's okay), but I do recall liking the novel when I read it in high school although I haven't re-read it since then.

The book is told in the first person, narrated by the adult Jean Louis ("Scout") Finch, recalling the events from her childhood that led up to her older brother breaking his arm.

I'm only up to Chapter 3, but I am really enjoying it so far.
Sissy Spacek does an excellent job of making the text come alive, and it's wonderful hearing it read by someone with an authentic Southern accent.
I would like to see a thread about books and audiobooks!
Woof! You've Got Mail!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

This seems to have plenty in common with Dion's "The Wanderer."
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jimimac71 wrote: May 27th, 2024, 11:19 am This seems to have plenty in common with Dion's "The Wanderer."
Except... it's not a good record...?