BLACK MOON (1933) early FRI am

Dewey1960

BLACK MOON (1933) early FRI am

Post by Dewey1960 »

It's here! One of the most disturbing and visually intriguing pre-code horror films ever: BLACK MOON (1933) makes a rare TCM appearance early Friday morning! This one is not to be missed, especially for those who thrill to the exotic rhythms of voodoo rituals and salacious sexual pandering.
Dorothy Burgess plays a New York socialite who is convinced that she's living under a voodoo curse and travels back to Haiti to discover the truth behind these haunting notions. I don't want to reveal much else about the plot but it is safe to say that this unpretentious and shocking Columbia B picture will not soon be forgotten by those fortunate enough to tune in.
It was directed by Roy William Neill, who brought us the wonderfully stylish noir BLACK ANGEL (1946) and the SHERLOCK HOLMES films done for Universal in the 1940s. Jack Holt and Fay Wray are also in the cast.
Last edited by Dewey1960 on October 8th, 2009, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Re: BLACK MOON (1933) early FRI am

Post by ChiO »

This one is not to be missed, especially those who thrill to the exotic rhythms of voodoo rituals and salacious sexual pandering.

I hate when that happens.

It shall be recorded (if I can remember to insert a disc).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Remember, ChiO, you're supposed to remind me to remind you to insert said disc :lol: :lol:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

WOW, no trouble getting on after two days.

Well, Dewey, my dear, we finally agree on a movie :!: :!: :!: Luckily I have the kind of satellite service that lets me set my included DVR to record in advance, and copy later. The whole time I was watching it (well, when they got to the island), I kept saying to myself, "why didn't they save this for a Friday night?" But maybe it will show up on one of them this month. It really has that eerie quality about it, and I bet seeing it in a dark theater would definitely have put a few goose bumps even on the biggest guy there. For me however, comic relief came in seeing Jack Holt waltzing around in his perfect white suits, and at the end, on the boat, in his jolly sports coat and hat. Anyway, all that drum beating and natives jumping and singing, created a frightening atmosphere. I hate to say it but, this is a scary, horror movie. It's so much better than Halloween III, because you have to use your imagination -- e.g. who's next, how are they going to sacrifice her, DON'T GO OUT THERE ALONE, YOU FOOL, all of that makes it exciting. I hope plenty of people got your heads up and checked it out.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Anne sez: Well, Dewey, my dear, we finally agree on a movie!
I believe we're also both big fans of THEM! (1954).
She went on to say: It really has that eerie quality about it, and I bet seeing it in a dark theater would definitely have put a few goose bumps even on the biggest guy there.
I had the pleasure of programming this film at the Roxie in San Francisco about 15 years ago for a Pre-Code Hollywood festival. Needless to say, it was one of the most well received films of the entire series!
Then she said: I hate to say it but, this is a scary, horror movie.
Hey, I love to say it!!
Finally, she said: I hope plenty of people got your heads up and checked it out.
Me too! This is one incredible film, and one that should be on everyone's Halloween list! Glad you enjoyed it, Anne!!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You're right, we do agree on Them, but with this you didn't finish out my thought, shame on you. I love to say it too; this is a scary, horror movie . . . because . . . it makes you think and use your imagination, which often is harder on your blood pressure than a visual, like today's moviemakers.
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I recorded this one, but haven't watched it yet. I'm excited!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

You have every reason to be excited, MissG. And a little nervous, too...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Dewey1960 wrote:You have every reason to be excited, MissG. And a little nervous, too...

ooooh...then I'll definitely have to leave at least one light on while I watch it! :shock:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm so depressed, Dewey! I had this on my To Watch list for October, then promptly forgot to watch it.

Maybe I should just pack it in right now and check myself into the old age home. I know there's a rocking chair with my name on it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Would you even remember where you put the chair??

Okay okay, I'm going...I'm going! ;-)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Bronxgirl:

Find your car keys, then drive to your nearest K-Mart, or Walmart or Dollar store and get a packet of those little bitty 1-1/2 " x 1-1/2 " post it notes, and stick them to your computer, if it's a lap-top, then stick them to your refrigerator or any other appliance close to your computer. Mine are bright orange and they stick to the seascape print I have hanging over my computer table. Right now, there are 3 of them hanging. Name of movie, date, and time. With my memory, I need some kind of help. TCM used to have that reminder, but I don't go there anymore, except once in a blue moon.

Anne

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

BronxGirl sez: I'm so depressed, Dewey! I had this on my To Watch list for October, then promptly forgot to watch it.
Fear not Bronx Girl (yeah, easy for me to say). Sometimes a prolonged hunger for something mysteriously and inexplicably beyond our reach heightens our desire to ultimately find it. I suspect in time your cravings will be rewarded.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dewey1960 wrote:BronxGirl sez: I'm so depressed, Dewey! I had this on my To Watch list for October, then promptly forgot to watch it.
Fear not Bronx Girl (yeah, easy for me to say). Sometimes a prolonged hunger for something mysteriously and inexplicably beyond our reach heightens our desire to ultimately find it. I suspect in time your cravings will be rewarded.

Dewey, I feel calmer now thanks to those philsophical sentiments.

At least I saw the Louis Malle BLACK MOON, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CineMaven wrote:Would you even remember where you put the chair??

Okay okay, I'm going...I'm going! ;-)
What chair?

LOL