Hallelujah, I'm a Bum

JackFavell

Re: Hallelujah, I'm a Bum

Post by JackFavell »

Geez, Pvitari!

I swear you and I are on the same wavelength. I love J. Hartman AND Hallelujah I'm a Bum. We seem to be hitting on the same cylinders lately.

I completely agree about Jolson's performance here - he is very moving, but in a more subtle way. He can still hit the back seats, but his quiet moments are what I remember from this movie.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

A couple of bum links----Enjoy

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Fossy -

Thanks for the links - the first Harry Mac McLintock song was just fascinating, a funny take on a desperate situation. I found the comments underneath the video even more fascinating, and very telling about how ignorant we are about that time period - don't the people writing in comments know about the Depression? Sheesh.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

After watching Hallelujah I'm a Bum or as Birdy was in England it's called Hallelujah I'm a Tramp and bum being the part of the anatomy that you sit on. I was delighted with the film, I agree that Al Jolson's performance was more restrained and I found him utterly believable as the character. I grew up as a fan of Jolson after the Larry Parks movies, with his voice one could forgive him anything, even the biggest ego in show business. It felt very reminiscient of Le Million and other Rene Clair movies to me, for escapism it reminded me of the Fred and Ginger movies, it's a sheer delight for an American movie of the 1930's.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin