The Wizard of Oz

News and Upcoming Releases
Moraldo Rubini

The Wizard of Oz

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Has anyone purchased the new deluxe set? I believe it's out in two formats, Blu-Ray and regular DVD. I bought the 3-disk Collector's Edition a few years ago and I'm curious if this new set features any supplemental material that the previous set didn't have. I don't want to invest in this if I already have it all. Anyone know?
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on November 1st, 2009, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichiganJ

Re: The Wizard of Oz

Post by MichiganJ »

Here is the review from DVDTalk, which goes into detail about what is included. I picked up the 3-disc Blu-Ray at Target (which was their exclusive), which includes all of the audio/video mentioned in the review, but does not include the book.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/39772/wizard-of-oz-the/

Hope this helps. By the way, if you have Blu-Ray, you simply have to upgrade. Oz never looked so good..
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Has anyone purchased the new deluxe set? I believe it's out in two formats, Blu-Ray and regular DVD. I bought the 3-disk Collector's Edition a few years ago and I'm curious if this new set features any supplemental material that the previous set didn't have. I don't want to invest in this if I already have it all. Anyone know?
There has been extensive discussion on the various releases on the Judy Garland Message Board. You may wish to have a look through this thread. There is also detailed information on Scott Brogan's sister site The Judy Room. :)
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

We didn't get the new set, but in early December, Austin had a nice two-day showing of it at one of the theaters. It was the second time our young kids had seen it, and I keep thinking I'd name WIZ OF OZ as the ultimate Hollywood film. Maybe not the best in any one aspect, but it's got a great supporting cast, incredible - indelible - characters. Great music - some of the best and most memorable tunes of all time. A great villain(ess). Scary, spooky, tense. And heroic charges to rescue the damsel in the distress. The special effects are, even now, outstanding.

Frank Morgan's stumbling, stuttering "pay no attention" scene - perfectly done, and great audio-recording and sound-mixing. His ability to switch from bragging chest-beating in one second into a humbled stuttering apologist the next is so well-done. His light-bulb brilliances to solve all problems at the end, only to float away and the teary Dorothy left behind... such a great and touching scene. (Of course, it doesn't help when my daughter is hugging my neck, "Oh, she'll never get back home now!" didn't help MY ability to restrict tears either.)

Yes, I think I could easily nominate this as the Ultimate Hollywood Film.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Marco,

Yes, it is definitely worth getting on Blu. In addition to the wonderful restoration, yes-it looks heavenly, you also get two books, a watch, the earlier Oz movies as well as a documentary on Victor Fleming, the When the Lion Roars documentary (Standard Def) and the John Ritter TV movie about Frank Baum.

Mr C got it for me for Christmas and I am very happy with it and the GWTW Collector's Edition!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese