The Long Gray Line

ken123

The Long Gray Line

Post by ken123 »

Did anyone see this John Ford film starring Tyrone Power & Maureen O ' Hara which aired yesterday on TCM ? :D
CharlieT

Re: The Long Gray Line

Post by CharlieT »

I caught the last half hour. I first saw it when I was in junior high school as a reward for perfect attendance for the semester. Being in my early teens, I didn't expect much of a movie, but found it to be a wonderful film. I would recommend it to anyone.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've seen it before, and i caught some of it on Sunday. It's a really good movie, and Tyrone is fantastic, playing someone so far from his usual swasheroos, or out-for-himself characters.

I love that this movie is about someone who is waiting for something better to come along... someone who's life seems to have passed him by. The relationship between Ty and Maureen O'Hara starts out kind of stereotyped, but grows into a very mature and realistic relationship. The scene in the hospital is heartbreaking, as Maureen shows Ty that they can rise above tragedy.

This movie is about how a person like you or me, is in fact, a hero.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We had a little discussion on it not long ago. I thought maybe you'd like to see it.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 7&start=15
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I had read that thread before, but now with the film fresh in my mind it is more clear to me.

I really like the idea that certain of Ford's films are taken from an "in between" position - Marty is not really military, but is not really civilian either. He is to help but not to fight. Though I hate to mention similarities with other Ford films, because too many people see them as copies of each other already, I will mention The Wings of Eagles and They Were Expendable as having some themes in common.

Everything in Marty's life is pre-empted. (this is my word for this morning I guess.) He cannot settle on a career, so he takes a job at West Point. He keeps waiting for the day when he can leave. He never does. His marriage never really pans out the way he wants it to, because of his father's intrusive appearance and insistence on his own "rules and regulations". He and Mary want to have children but end up unable to have any. To me all these trials and tribulations seem very real to me. These are the kinds of things that happen to everyone - what is the phrase? Life is what happens to you while you are waiting for something else to happen...that is very true to me. I just like the sort of randomness of events in this movie. And what these people do to cope with those random events is what makes the film interesting and above average.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Jackie, you summed up TLGL PERFECTLY and succinctly. What took me ten thousand words you said much better.

"Pre-empted" I like that choice of words. It is EXACTLY right to describe poor Marty's existence. It's really
not an altogether happy story, though on a superficial level it can give you a heart warming impression.

That's what's so fascinating about Pappy's films, they work on so many levels, and the deeper you go,
sometimes the further it takes you away from the superficial interpretation. But either way, you enjoy
a good show.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

And I think Ford's works become a far richer source of enjoyment when you DO put them in context with
and compare them to his other films. They can stand on their own, of course, but half the joy for me is finding touch-
stones to the movies that came before.

His whole career constitutes an interconnected oeuvre.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The man who seemed a failure wasn't really a failure after all.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And I think Ford's works become a far richer source of enjoyment when you DO put them in context with
and compare them to his other films. They can stand on their own, of course, but half the joy for me is finding touch-
stones to the movies that came before.

I am beginning to agree - they are like one story, with lots of parts... the story of John Ford?

"Pre-empted" I like that choice of words. It is EXACTLY right to describe poor Marty's existence. It's really
not an altogether happy story, though on a superficial level it can give you a heart warming impression.

That's what's so fascinating about Pappy's films, they work on so many levels, and the deeper you go,
sometimes the further it takes you away from the superficial interpretation. But either way, you enjoy
a good show.

Oh, that is brilliant! It is so true. Like a mystery story. The more you watch, the more it is like unlocking a secret door into an alternate universe..... everything suddenly goes just a little topsy turvy from the way you initially understood it. Sometimes there are opposing ideas within the same movie, even the same scene sometimes. Through the Looking Glass.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Sometimes there are opposing ideas within the same movie, even the same scene sometimes. Through the Looking Glass.

Right you are!!! And can you name two Ford films in which he directly quotes from Lewis Carroll? :wink:
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I am awful at quotes! Let's see....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Give me a little time to work it out.... I have to go get a turkey for Thanksgiving tonight. I'll be back later.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I somehow think of the phrase "The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of may things, of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings." but I am probably way off. It is probably much simpler than that....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:I somehow think of the phrase "The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of may things, of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings." but I am probably way off. It is probably much simpler than that....

No, you got one of the phrases right, but it's from a Ford film I think you said you haven't seen yet! :D
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

agggh! I am soooo stupid at this. When I first joined TCM, I tried going into the games and trivia threads to do quotes. I thought I was going to ace all the little games and such. I finally had to unwatch the thread because I didn't get one right in the course of a month... even when I had seen the film the day before!

Is one of them The Wings of Eagles?