Favorite Musical Poll FINAL: #1 & #2

Moraldo Rubini

Re: Favorite Musical Poll FINAL: #1 & #2

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I like musicals that have a serious undercurrent or foundation. I don't find them to be less "musical" than their frothier brethren. Perhaps because I'm an opera lover, which has as many tragedies as it does comedies -- all sublimely musical. So I'm attracted to the view of the Depression that's unveiled in Gold Diggers of 1933, the human struggles in A Star is Born, the unraveling milieu of Cabaret, the uneasy relationships of Borzage's Flirtation Walk, Harry Palmer's crippling actions in For Me and My Gal, and the femme fatale's ensnaring of the nebbish professor in Der Blaue Engel. While this poll was growing I was interested to see the thought processes used to pick the favored musicals. Sometimes it seemed some movie mavens defined a "real" musical as something inherently unlikable. If we like it, it isn't a real musical -- instead it's some other genre that just happened to have music. So I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people are afraid of the genre, and want you to know that the musical lovers are here for you. We'll be happy to hold your hands while you muster the strength to admit it -- you like them too. There's a musical out there for most tastes; they can seduce other genres like horror (Little Shop of..., Sweeney Todd) and westerns and... with that, I'll vote for:

Meet Me in St. Louis
patful

Post by patful »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:So I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people are afraid of the genre, and want you to know that the musical lovers are here for you.[/i]
I'm not afraid anymore. :-)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:While this poll was growing I was interested to see the thought processes used to pick the favored musicals. Sometimes it seemed some movie mavens defined a "real" musical as something inherently unlikable. If we like it, it isn't a real musical -- instead it's some other genre that just happened to have music.
The varying definitions of "musical" was what also fascinated me about this poll. In the initial ground rules, ChiO specifically left the definition of musical up to us, and those definitions obviously varied greatly. For some, dance is a necessary component, while others see some of the films as dramas or melodramas with songs.

Of the more traditional musicals, I tend to prefer those where the songs actually advance the plot. While I like Meet Me in St. Louis, for me, it is a bit too episodic with almost no plot at all.

While the songs in Singin' in the Rain weren't specific for the film, they do still move the story forward, and that story is pretty great.

No question, I'm Singing' in the Rain.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Mish, I don't know if you were aware that Meet Me in St. Louis is based on a series of stories which appeared in magazines. I believe Minnelli kept the episodic nature of the story line on purpose (roughly, an episode for each season), and those who had read the stories before seeing the movie (a whole lot of people) probably preferred it that way.

Not that your preference for a broader story arc is in any way erroneous -- just pointing out that the episodic style in St. Lou was intentional.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

jdb1 wrote:Mish, I don't know if you were aware that Meet Me in St. Louis is based on a series of stories which appeared in magazines. I believe Minnelli kept the episodic nature of the story line on purpose (roughly, an episode for each season), and those who had read the stories before seeing the movie (a whole lot of people) probably preferred it that way.
Thanks, and yes, I was aware of that (and have read some of Benson's stories). While I don't necessarily mind the episodic nature of the film, the "flaw" for me is that some of the episodes outweigh others. The Halloween segment in particular is so powerful and entertaining that even Christmas can't compete.

This happens in most films that are made up of a few short stories: some parts are greater than the whole.

Also, while you can excerpt any of the songs in Singin' in the Rain and enjoy them, they hold up better in the context of the film. I don't find the same thing in St. Louis. Garland's Trolley Song, my favorite single performance by her, is actually better served excerpted. IMHO, of course.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Alrighty. Judge Nancy? You ready to count the ballots? One, two.... It's a Miracle! Cyd has high-kicked in for Ann, and ALL THAT JAZZ wins! Oh. That was only in the parallel universe? And this is for the SSO Favorite Musical in this, all known, unknown and parallel Universes? Rats!

#1 Singin' in the Rain - 11
#2 Meet Me in St. Louis - 4

So it's now SINGIN' IN THE REIGN (sic) as the SSO Favorite Musical in this year of 2010.

Thanks to all who participated.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Supreme Judge ChiO, I heard every vote, and every chad that fell....

still wish it was Band Wagon. Ah well, the people is spoke.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm very pleased with the result :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I'm likewise pleased, although not at all surprised. There's really only one other musical that I prefer: YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT. And even though I did list AMERICAN HOT WAX as my number one favorite, that film is technically not a musical in the conventional sense. Before I first saw YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT in a San Francisco movie theater in 1998, SINGIN IN THE RAIN had always been my hands down favorite musical. It never occurred to me that another film would come along and knock it off its roost. Regardless, SINGIN IN THE RAIN is a film I revisit often and always with great and joyous anticipation. I've always felt that it more than lived up to its stellar reputation. Long may it rain!
Congrats, Justice ChiO, you done good!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Singin in the Rain is the top of all my 'feel good' movies. When Gene dances with Cyd Charisse, that's my favorite of all his dances on film, topping even the American in Paris ballet.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just love Fit as a Fiddle, Moses Supposes, and Good Morning.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Just for the Dewmeister and Da Judge:

Image :lol: :lol:
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I'll take the one in green...solely in anticipation of St. Patrick's Day, of course.