Reality TV

mrsl

Reality TV

Post by mrsl »

I can hardly believe it. After all these years of boring, stupid, people trying to either make fools of themselves, or simply kill themselves, it looks like finally the networks are changing directions so now what are they sending out???????

Bending over backward to the young kids who never watch TV and making vampire shows. For this junk they canceled Eureka, Flash Forward, Ghost Whisperer, and Jericho?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Re: Reality TV

Post by klondike »

Anne, many members on this site are interested in what your opinions are on any number of topics, but you need to put that hammer away!
Calling films or television broadcasts "junk", or refering to them by any descriptor that is in any way openly, blatantly dismissive is unacceptable; see the following excerpt from our Code of Conduct:

Criticize:
One of the joys of a community is the exchange of ideas. Our goal is to share our enthusiasms, discover new aspects of film and media, and create a atmosphere that promotes diversity without sacrificing civility. It's fine to say a certain aspect of a film is bad, as long as you don't insult the people who think otherwise, and as long as you actually back up what you say. Jumping in and shouting "That film sucks!" is not an acceptable form of constructive criticism.

You have demonstrated on numerous occasions your potential for insightful critique, to the appreciation of all your readers.
So please carry on, Anne, describe for us how & why you feel the way you do; I for one am eager to hear your opinions . . 'cause frankly, I don't care for those new vampire shows either! :? :? :? :?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm sorry Klondike. I really don't know any other way to say it. Have you read or seen any news reports about how teens are literally biting their girlfriends and boyfriends from what they see in these movies and TV shows? When something goes out and instills ideas like that, it is not only disturbing but also dangerous and someone should put a stop to it. I thought this was a good place to let people know what is happening out there. Our kids and grand kids are involved. I taped The Gates thinking it was some kind of gothic mystery, but the first minute - the scene to drag you into the story, was a biting scene, so I just erased it. There is a ban on language, blood spurts, and various other things but apparently the code board doesn't feel this is important enough to regulate, so it's more or less up to us. If I'm wrong - okay. I've said my piece and I will not return to this particular subject.
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

I think you brought up some very salient points, Anne, and voiced many of the same reactions I (and likely several other members) had when attempting to check out many of the seemingly similar themed new shows of the last couple years - "The Vampire Diaries", "True Blood", "The Gates", etc., et al.
By all means, Anne, if you are so inclined, I believe you should go right ahead and use this thread to investigate the boundaries of this virulent new subgenre, as it looks like it just be hangin' around for a time . . sadly . .
And hey, what's everybody else here @ SSO think?
Yea, or nay?
Do you feel there's a good example, or two, of this new category out there, small screen or big?
Or are they all really pretty tough to suffer through, and deserve avoiding?
Anne, fellow Members, I turn the lecturn over to you . . .
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

To anyone interested - Warehouse 13 returns on Tuesday, July 6, previously I had said tonight, but again I was incorrect, and I was wrong about Eureka, it was not cancelled, just moved to another night, but I'm still not sure when.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I'm looking forward to the return of Warehouse 13 on Tuesday.

I'm also enjoying Memphis Blues, The Closer, Burn Notice (love me some Bruce Campbell) and Royal Pains.

That new show on TNT with Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander (formerly Kate on NCIS). Rizzoli and Isles looks good, too.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Lzcutter wrote: (love me some Bruce Campbell)
Well of course you do, Lynn; no-one ages cooler than a Scots-American!
8) 8) 8)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

I love him in Army of Darkness and especially as the one and only Brisco County, Jr.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lz:

I'm looking forward to the Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander show also. I just wondered why she left NCIS as she did, and I ended up thinking maybe a baby, and it's first few years? Anyway, I liked her then, and I think the two ladies will play well off of each other. In Plain Sight has ended again, I swear they have the shortest seasons of any show. I think this time there were 6 weeks. The idea of people living under cover of the FBI is intriguing, but just as you get into it, the season is ending again. Oh well.

The networks have 'way' too many medical shows on this year. I can't remember what's on when. I just preset my DVR and when a new title appears on my "scheduled recordings", I just go ahead and watch it.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I am enjoying Rizzoli and Isles. It makes a good companion piece to The Closer.

I was sorry to see Donnie Wahlberg leave this week as I was hoping he and Rizzoli (Angie Harmon) would work out their differences but it looks like Donnie is going to be part of the new Tom Selleck show, Blue Blood (or whatever it is called), this fall.

BTW, did you know that Sophia Loren is Sasha Alexander's mother-in-law?

I had no idea!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

I had no idea either! When she went off of NCIS, I went onto the site but they gave no reason why she left, and nobody in the message boards seemed to know either. So I was kind of shocked when you mentioned that she was going to partner with Angie Harmon. I think it's good too, but I hope they increase Sasha's part a little. Angie seems to be getting more camera time. I seem to remember Sophia and Carlo having a baby with a lot of troubling medical problems. Is that child her husband? Are Donnie and Mark related? If they're brothers, I hope he doesn't keep hopping all over looking for a better role to play. He's good but he doesn't have Mark's looks.

Anne