Kevin Brownlow to receive honorary Oscar!

JackFavell

Re: Kevin Brownlow to receive honorary Oscar!

Post by JackFavell »

That article ended way too soon!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

The Wall Street Journal: "Hero of the Silent Screen"
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 53158.html
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

As a fitting tribute to Kevin's work, I published the original (English) transcript of the interview I conducted in September 2008. The first part is now online at the following: Beginnings and Directing Pictures.
The remaining 4 parts will be published in the following days.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I didn't even look. I'll withdraw my duplicate. Please see "MichiganJ's" post above.

(Thanks for being so gracious not to point me out the goof that I am.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Christine, great interview and thanks for posting it in English! Congrats!

Kevin & Chris, thanks for posting the interesting articles.
Last edited by feaito on November 11th, 2010, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you so much for posting these interviews with Kevin Brownlow, Kevin, Christine and Chris. I am so glad to read that he is still looking forward to possible documentaries about the Irish-born filmmaker Rex Ingram and a career topping tribute to Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. If only he could be present at the TCM festival next Spring, I think I would be tempted to hitchhike out West to see him!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I hope you'll enjoy Part II of Kevin's interview about French Silent cinema. It's an era of French cinema still very much overlooked and difficult to investigate due to the paucity of DVDs available. Nevertheless, Kevin will introduce you to some great figures of that era and some useful link will lead you to some short reviews with pictures. :wink:
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:D I sure would love to hear Mr. Browonlow's acceptance speech. He is a personal hero and champion to so many of us. Maybe it will be posted on Youtube or someplace by the Academy. Is there any indication what Kevin and Patrick Stanbury are working on now? Maybe the long promised collaboration with Warner Home Video to finally get us the likes of THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, THE BIG PARADE, THE CROWD, A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS, SHOW PEOPLE etc, on DVD and Blu-Ray?

Hopefully, with any luck this honor will lead to more and more of Photoplay Productions product appearing on DVD and Blu-Ray. TCM is airing WINGS again in February. But as of 3 months ago, it appeared unlikely that it would be the Photoplay version. I hoped that has changed. It seems there never was an American broadcast contract.

As for THE WEDDING MARCH is there any news if the Carl Davis score will be used on the up-coming Criterion edition? I have not heard anything to suggest that it would or would not be included, at least as an Alternate. A recording of the original J. S. Zamecnik track from 1928 does exist. I have found a few people who have seen the film with this score. So in other words, the Criterion lease of the picture from Paramount has been another problem with TCM struggling to obtain the rights to the Photoplay version. I'm sure that TCM will air the film once the Criterion project is completed. Although, they have yet to run any of the three Von Sternberg's. A figure a couple of those could be forth-coming early next year. Probably for 31 Days of Oscar.

As I look at TCM's MOGULS AND MOVIE STARS this month, I can't help but feel that this series, could have benefited substantially from the involvement of Kevin and Patrick' Stanbury. At least for the first three chapters. I'm gratified that they have spent three chapters in the Silent era, but the clips are so brief, and not always the best quality footage either. It's hard to believe that Photoplay and Kevin in particular, were apparently excluded from the project.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Part 3 about Napoléon and Abel Gance is now online.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Part 4 about The Parade's Gone By... and Hollywood is now online.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Terrific interview, Christine! Part two makes me want to see all of the films Kevin mentions and it's fascinating but disheartening to read about the disappearance of the Tourneur documents. Hopefully we'll get a biography one day.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Some award coverage by Steve Pond (the short Brownlow mention is on page three.)

http://www.thewrap.com/awards/column-po ... -fun-22505
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

MichiganJ wrote:Terrific interview, Christine! Part two makes me want to see all of the films Kevin mentions and it's fascinating but disheartening to read about the disappearance of the Tourneur documents. Hopefully we'll get a biography one day.
Thanks MichiganJ! Since I made the interview, I managed to see quite a few of the films he mentioned. I was never disappointed. They were all wonderful. :)

No video so far on the Oscar Website. But quite a few pictures:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I might have missed something, I expected him to get his award at the Oscar ceremony in March. Is there a reason he's been given it early? I personally can't think of a more deserving winner and we've had him here at the Oasis :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Last year the Board of Governors of the Academy decided (in an effort to cut down on the length of the show) to have the "special" awards such as Kevin's, the Thalberg and others at their own award ceremony. Last year, Roger Corman and Lauren Bacall were awarded theirs in a ceremony similar to the one last night. Corman and Bacall were invited to the actual Oscar ceremonies and the camera cut to them when their awards were announced from the dais, hopefully Brownlow will be as well.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese