Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Re: the leads in TORN CURTAIN -- Julie Andrews and Paul Newman represent the "clean-cut" types Hitch liked to use -- think Joel McCrea and Laraine Day in FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, Robert Cummings and Priscilla Lane in SABOTEUR.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

txfilmfan wrote: August 14th, 2023, 10:28 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 7:15 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: August 13th, 2023, 7:08 pm

Unfortunately, Mackintosh is just plain grim and mediocre. Torn Curtain is more lively, but it isn't showing tonight.

It always happens with movies I want to stay up for -- I wind up falling asleep before they begin. And I even had three cups of coffee beforehand but that didn't help. I've seen TORN CURTAIN a few times -- heck, even TOPAZ is better, lol.
The only part of Torn Curtain I like is the former countess trying to get to the West, played by Lila Kedrova. The rest of it falls flat - probably because Newman and Andrews just have no zip together. It seems like they're sleepwalking through it. Hitchcock did not like working with method actors. Makes you wonder why Newman was cast.

The real-life "making of" story is more entertaining than the movie, IMO. Wolfgang Kieling, who plays an East German agent, actually defected from West Germany to East Germany in 1968. He became disillusioned with the West after witnessing the LA Watts riots while making this film. His disaffection didn't last long. He moved back to West Germany in 1971.

Wolfgang played the gum-chewing Gromek, right? "Hot dog! Do they still say that?"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: August 15th, 2023, 9:22 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm I'm looking forward to seeing THE MACKINTOSH MAN as part of Paul Newman's SUTS line-up. Judging from that trailer it just might be delightfully bad. I'm hoping TORN CURTAIN airs later that night as it too is another winner, lol.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but I found the plot hard to follow. Newman seems miscast, but did a good job. Mason was wasted as was Dominque Sanda. Felt like a lot was left on the cutting room floor. The ending was good but I just didn't understand all the goings on. Were several good action sequences.

If I ever get to see this film I'm sure it wouldn't be Huston's worst. That honor might go to ANNIE, lol.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

For sure. He's made far worse than Mackintosh Man. It is an oddity though.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 1:27 pm :yahoo:

Before I answer any other posts I must mention THE STORY OF MANKIND, shown this morning as part of Ronald Colman SUTS -- Lord have mercy!!!! LOL Hedy Lamarr as Joan of Ark! Groucho Marx as Peter Minuit! Harpo as Isaac Newton! Chico as a monk discussing "the oith can't be round" with Christopher Columbus! Peter Lorre as Nero! Francis X. Bushman as Moses! Virginia Mayo as Cleopatra! Dennis Hopper as Napoleon! Vincent Price as the devil (Mr. Scratch) with poor Ronald representing The Spirit of Man duking it out over the eventual fate of humanity!

I was feeling cranky due to the heat but immediately perked up during this wonderful schlockfest.

An absolute must for bad movie fans!!

A truly terrible movie! Even as a kid watching it on tv, thought it was bad. I haven't rewatched it since.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hedy is done up to look and even sound like the "original" Maid of Orleans, Ingrid Bergman in the 1948 film.

And if you can believe it, Dennis Hopper actually gives a pretty good performance as Napoleon. I know it sounds surreal but then everything about this Warner Bros. mess is.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm I'm looking forward to seeing THE MACKINTOSH MAN as part of Paul Newman's SUTS line-up.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but I found the plot hard to follow. Newman seems miscast, but did a good job. Mason was wasted as was Dominique Sanda. Felt like a lot was left on the cutting room floor. The ending was good but I just didn't understand all the goings on. Were several good action sequences.
Have to say the ending...

***SPOILER ALERT***

...in which both Ian Bannen and James Mason set their guns down on that chair and so within easy access for Sanda to then grab one and shoot the both of them in the back as they walked away, was a little too unbelievable for me anyway.

(...and especially considering that she knew Mason had ordered the earlier killing of her father)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Before I answer any other posts I must mention THE STORY OF MANKIND, shown this morning as part of Ronald Colman SUTS -- ...
RONALD COLEMAN is always enjoyable, and VINCENT PRICE. A parade float, don't forget about Khufu!
It is a Bad movie must... a MESSTERPIECE!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

lol, did I miss John Carradine as Pharoah?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: August 15th, 2023, 7:48 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm I'm looking forward to seeing THE MACKINTOSH MAN as part of Paul Newman's SUTS line-up.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but I found the plot hard to follow. Newman seems miscast, but did a good job. Mason was wasted as was Dominique Sanda. Felt like a lot was left on the cutting room floor. The ending was good but I just didn't understand all the goings on. Were several good action sequences.
Have to say the ending...

***SPOILER ALERT***

...in which both Ian Bannen and James Mason set their guns down on that chair and so within easy access for Sanda to then grab one and shoot the both of them in the back as they walked away, was a little too unbelievable for me anyway.

(...and especially considering that she knew Mason had ordered the earlier killing of her father)
LOL. True!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Here's a bad movie that while I can't say I "love", I've always found it to be fascinating in how poorly it was executed on screen. Yes, almost laughably so.

This has been brought to my mind here because of the current topic in Bronxie's "Ponder" thread being William Faulkner and his novel 'Sanctuary' and it being used as the basis for the 1933 film 'The Story of Temple Drake', and then in turn again IT inspiring the 1948 British film...

(...especially all the Brit actors in it attempting but failing miserably to speak in a beliveable American accent)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I recently watched ARROWHEAD (1953) which to me defines "bad" in another way. It is not "badly made" or "badly acted" it is filled with BAD messages like warranted suspicion and racism, hand to hand fighting including head bash on rock death blow, suicide. Seething hatred.
Violent, ultimately challenging. I think I loved it.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 1:51 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm I'm looking forward to seeing THE MACKINTOSH MAN as part of Paul Newman's SUTS line-up. Judging from that trailer it just might be delightfully bad. I'm hoping TORN CURTAIN airs later that night as it too is another winner, lol.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but I found the plot hard to follow. Newman seems miscast, but did a good job. Mason was wasted as was Dominque Sanda. Felt like a lot was left on the cutting room floor. The ending was good but I just didn't understand all the goings on. Were several good action sequences.

If I ever get to see this film I'm sure it wouldn't be Huston's worst. That honor might go to ANNIE, lol.

Annie at least had a fantastic performance from Carol Burnett and a dancing scene for Ann Reinking. Mackintosh is his worst I think, although The Barbarian and the Geisha is on the flat side.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Before I answer any other posts I must mention THE STORY OF MANKIND, shown this morning as part of Ronald Colman SUTS -- Lord have mercy!!!! LOL Hedy Lamarr as Joan of Ark! Groucho Marx as Peter Minuit! Harpo as Isaac Newton! Chico as a monk discussing "the oith can't be round" with Christopher Columbus! Peter Lorre as Nero! Francis X. Bushman as Moses! Virginia Mayo as Cleopatra! Dennis Hopper as Napoleon! Vincent Price as the devil (Mr. Scratch) with poor Ronald representing The Spirit of Man duking it out over the eventual fate of humanity!

I was feeling cranky due to the heat but immediately perked up during this wonderful schlockfest.

That one was cheesy as all get out. I think I watched it just short of having my mouth agape. That said, Irwin Allen never was one of the world's best writers. He made Jacqueline Susann look like Charlotte Bronte.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: August 18th, 2023, 7:17 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 1:51 pm

Annie at least had a fantastic performance from Carol Burnett and a dancing scene for Ann Reinking. Mackintosh is his worst I think, although The Barbarian and the Geisha is on the flat side.

Yes, Carol is terrific as Miss Hannigan. Ann was a great dancer but I prefer her moves in ALL THAT JAZZ. I've only seen snippets from THE BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA -- didn't look good, lol.