Went the Day Well?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Jezebel38

Re: Went the Day Well?

Post by Jezebel38 »

Hey Kingrat –

I missed this screening by a hairsbreadth – so exasperating! MoraldoRubini and I dashed out of the Voice Double panel (it ran overtime) at Club TCM, across Holly wood Blvd., up the escalator to Cinema #4 only to be told it was full! I was dumbfounded, as this was one of the main titles I’d wanted to see at the festival, and I had already bypassed Kevin Brownlow’s conversation to see Hoopla.

Anyways, after returning home, I decided to look on YouTube and voila! Found it posted – and now you’re saying it is on DVD too. Well, I spent yesterday watching it on YT and I really loved this quirky British propaganda film. So many familiar faces; Leslie Banks, David Farrar (hubba, hubba) Marie Lohr (Mrs. Higgins from Pygmalion) Elizabeth Alan (Tale of 2 Cities) Thora Hird, Muriel George, and Mervyn Johns (just discovered he is Glynis’dad). And whoa - pretty violent for it’s time. You are right – although I was gasping by myself in front of my computer screen, this really begs to be seen with an audience.

For any curious SSO friends, here is a trailer done by the BFI to give you a taste. I do warn you though, someone has posted a 6 minute spoiler reel with added pithy comments (this bloke is a Quizling!) on YT – I suggest you do NOT watch this first (as I did) but just go straight into the film.
[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Last year, TCM scheduled almost every movie which was shown at the festival, so I am thinking it will be on the schedule soon.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw this on DVD a couple of years ago and gave it five stars. Very suspenseful, and the action scenes are very powerful. (More so than in a Hollywood war movie of the same vintage, I thought.)
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey, People, dig this:
I heard of this finely crafted movie for the first time in this thread right here, last week, jumped right over to my Netflix queue, bumped WTDW? up to the top slot, got it the next day, watched it with the Mrs., and:

WE LOVED IT! As in virtually every single thing about it - only criticism: we fell so fast into adoring camaraderie with the folks of Bramley End, and the twining gavotte of their daily lives, we would have preferred a wee bit more time for more "cuppas" with more of them, and/or for some times a tad longer . .
But maybe that would've made the demises of those sacrificing the more alarmingly painful . . hmmmm . . undeniably, so very Ealing . .
Yet interestingly, as much as I was powerfully reminded of Ealing's The Maggie, & Whisky Galore, I was also frequently put in mind of The Archers' A Canterbury Tale, and, more fleetingly, I Know Where I'm Going . .
None of those delightful films, though, boasted so malevolent a presence as Mr. Wilson :x
Grrrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

I noticed in the early scenes of the quaint bucolic village, the Foley artist almost went overboard in the addition of birdsong to the daily proceedings – too much chirping I thought; someone deciding to set up juxtaposition to the pending violence? Sure enough, while the postmistress is serving tea to the nasty sausage eating Nazi, there come the chirping birdies through the open window....
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MikeBSG wrote:I saw this on DVD a couple of years ago and gave it five stars. Very suspenseful, and the action scenes are very powerful. (More so than in a Hollywood war movie of the same vintage, I thought.)
Sounds like an excellent film during World War II ... I seen well over 50-75 WWII films and never, ever heard of this film until now. According to everyone here in SSO loved it. It's definitely on my list of movies to see!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Just like Klondike I bumped this up on my queue. Also there was an article in last week's Wall Street Journal about it as it played in NY. (My copy was sent from TX.)

I loved it. All the reasons mentioned worked for me too. A few awkward moments almost exclusively in the killing scenes but I thought it was a good story. It struck me that it all came out so early in the movie but they did a great job in holding the tension throughout the film.

Worth looking into.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

I saw that article in WSJ, Chris, or rather should say that I heard it; the Journal's a daily read for the Mrs., and so, spotting the article immediately that day, she shared it aloud with me.
And it was nearly as much fun as watching WTDW? again. :mrgreen:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

There is an article on "Went the Day Well" in the current issue of "Film Comment," (the one with "Midnight in Paris" on the cover.)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I missed "WENT THE DAY WELL?" when I was at TCM's recent film festival. (Too many movies...so little time). To be honest, the film's synopsis didn't even raise a blip on my cinematic radar when I saw it on the programming schedule. England... war-time...<< YAWN! >> The film is winding up its run here in NYC's Film Forum and based on your recommendation, I checked it out.

THANK YOU, KING RAT!

I thought this film was worth ten Mrs. Minivers!!! I enjoyed it immensely, King Rat. Hitchcock could not have done a better job of supplying tension, suspense and thrills. (Actually, I kind of think Hitch would, but I want to leave a sliver of admiration for other directors). Director Cavalcanti had us vest our interest in the townspeople of this little English Village, characters all. You've seen these characters before: the Vicar, the busybody, your sexy Plain Janes, pub drinkers and those to the Manor born. And then he's given whole slew of character actors a chance to shine, take the lead, be the hero and save the day.

And heroes all, they were.

WENT THE DAY...SPOILED

This isn’t "RED DAWN" or "THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING." It was like Ewoks fighting Imperial Storm Troopers. They didn't pull bazookas out of their...bowlers. Everything they did was organic to what they had at their disposal. I've seen several of these actors before but the only one I was really familiar with was David Farrar (of "BLACK NARCISSUS"-fame). Oh my my my. David!

How insidious and dastardly and cowardly clever a plan it was for the "Gerrys" ("Gerries?") to pretend to be British. How unfair and particularly hateful those Nazis were. And how cold-blooded they carried out their mission!

Several characters don't make it to the end of the movie and their demise caused unexpected audible gasps from me. Each one broke my heart. The announcement that the children would be killed boiled my blood; Farrar's character makes this vile decision drunk with wine. What the heck King Rat! What is this?! Why’d you send me here!!!

"WENT THE DAY WELL?" Is no 8" x 10" glossy Hollywood movie shot on the biggest, most expenseive of M-G-M sound stages. Yes, "WENT...WELL?" Is a movie, of course, but somehow it seemed so real. Perhaps it's b'cuz the folks were ordinary joes like me. I could identify with the townspeople; just plain ordinary folk. You see, at the end of the day, no matter how plain they tried to make Ann Sheridan and Errol Flynn be part of the Resistance, they still had that glam Oooomph thing going on.

WHEN EVIL WALKS AMONG US

This was one of the most cowardly infuriating things I've seen. You know what I’m talking about. Evil...with its arm in a sling. This was the most Hitchcockian element of the story; your villain... nondescript, polite. He walks among them, unsuspected. And the plot chooses to show who he is; here's another Hitchcock element, give the audience more information than the characters in the movie.

To see him escape the house with one of the prisoners and pull a knife from his sling...I had to swallow my screams in the packed house!

"Is this loaded?"

This leads the sweetest moment in the entire film for me. And my silent cheer. I doubt if this were a Hollywood picture, they would have let her pull the trigger. (Yea Ealing!)

This movie was very well-done. It had me on the edge of my seat. It showed me bravery, heroism and courage from male and female alike. The women weren't regulated to just bandaging the wounded and serving high tea. They held their own in defense of their country. I rooted for Georgie...I was saddened for the telephone operator...I despised the imposters...I wept for the little dog and cheered the cavalry as the film came to its exciting climax.

Thank you King Rat for ’really...truly’ recommending ”WENT THE DAY WELL?” I really and truly enjoyed it.

:D
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You started it! :D
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I loved all the comments here on Went the Day Well?--one of Cavalcanti's best films. I always keep thinking of how this must have seemed to the people seeing it at the time. Was it shocking, frightening or (as I suspect) vicariously satisfying to movie goers to see average people shedding their civilized, prosaic shells and doing what needed to be done--even if that meant it probably wasn't going to be discussed socially later on by anyone who was there.

I particularly appreciated CineMaven's comment that the people facing their invaders in their bucolic village: "Everything they did was organic to what they had at their disposal"

For those who haven't seen this exceptionally engaging film, I thought some might want to see Went the Day Well? online, with a good quality image from youtube, which begins below:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks