WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

laffite

Re: WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

Post by laffite »

Kuroneko (1968)

If you like revenge movies, you'll like this.

If you like watching women getting raped, you'll like this.

If you like major trash, you'll like this.

:smiley_sick:
Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? (1977) The opening scene reveals folks sitting at a table speaking to each at random. No exposition. It continues this way. No music (a great asset in movie). The movie unfolds and there is no intrusive audience manipulation. What you see is what you get. One begins to get the idea behind Herr R.

Excellent !!

:smiley_clap:
Mona
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: October 30th, 2023, 11:08 am Kuroneko (1968)

I like that movie very much! I disagree heartily that it is trash.

I believe there is a significant cultural aspect. I have watched this movie in a theatre in Japan and the audience action/reaction showed it definitely made a much greater impression than is expressed by audiences in other countries.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I have it recorded so good to know. :smilie_happy_thumbup: :smiley_cheer:
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: October 30th, 2023, 3:41 pm

I have it recorded so good to know. :smilie_happy_thumbup: :smiley_cheer:
Don't erase it, the movie has a fan (and apparently many more.)
Mona
Masha

Post by Masha »

I have it recorded so good to know.
It might profit you to know also: IMDb.com rated it: 7.4/10, rottentomatoes.com rated it: 96% on the TomatoMeter with an Audience Score of: 84%.

Typical reviews:

Film Journal International: "Serious movie buffs and die-hard horror fans alike will want to see Kaneto Shindo's elegantly dream-like story of earthbound violence and otherworldly revenge, rooted in Japanese folklore and shot in shimmering, widescreen black-and white."

New York Review: "The movie's implacable sense of poetic justice is only equaled by its graphic smarts."

Village Voice: "Nippo-Gothic horror fables have a long tradition of proto-feminist outrage... Kaneto Shindô's Kuroneko may take the cake."

Boston Phoenix: "With an invidious black cat meowing about, Shindô's movie, elegantly shot in widescreen black-and-white, melds Edgar Allan Poe and Oedipus Rex, all in sight of the legendary Rashômon Gate."
laffite

Post by laffite »

It made me want to frow up. What ever happened to taste!? We are not safe, I tell you, we are not safe. The world has become more and more decadent. LoL. Ptui!
:twisted:
Mona
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I just finished Black Cat and I found a massive plothole. If the mother was willing to damn herself to hell for her son since her love was that strong then why did she care about him cutting off the arm of her temporal ghost form? She was going to go to Hell for all eternity in a day anyways. It just seemed like a really dumb plot to have her turn on her own son for something like that when she was demonstrated to be as devoted to him as his wife was.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: October 31st, 2023, 12:11 am It made me want to frow up. What ever happened to taste!? We are not safe, I tell you, we are not safe. The world has become more and more decadent. LoL. Ptui!
:twisted:
Yes, Chantal Ackerman makes me want to throw up too. She should’ve invested her energy and time in finding a decent film editor. ;)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Masha wrote: October 30th, 2023, 8:00 pm
I have it recorded so good to know.
It might profit you to know also: IMDb.com rated it: 7.4/10, rottentomatoes.com rated it: 96% on the TomatoMeter with an Audience Score of: 84%.

Typical reviews:

Film Journal International: "Serious movie buffs and die-hard horror fans alike will want to see Kaneto Shindo's elegantly dream-like story of earthbound violence and otherworldly revenge, rooted in Japanese folklore and shot in shimmering, widescreen black-and white."

New York Review: "The movie's implacable sense of poetic justice is only equaled by its graphic smarts."

Village Voice: "Nippo-Gothic horror fables have a long tradition of proto-feminist outrage... Kaneto Shindô's Kuroneko may take the cake."

Boston Phoenix: "With an invidious black cat meowing about, Shindô's movie, elegantly shot in widescreen black-and-white, melds Edgar Allan Poe and Oedipus Rex, all in sight of the legendary Rashômon Gate."
Yeah, I finished it. See my post above. It was visually very lovely and the plot was decent until the end which I found ludicrous. I would give it 7/10 just for cinematography.
Masha

Post by Masha »

LostHorizons wrote: November 1st, 2023, 11:09 pm I just finished Black Cat and I found a massive plothole. If the mother was willing to damn herself to hell for her son since her love was that strong then why did she care about him cutting off the arm of her temporal ghost form? She was going to go to Hell for all eternity in a day anyways. It just seemed like a really dumb plot to have her turn on her own son for something like that when she was demonstrated to be as devoted to him as his wife was.
That is not a plot hole. It is a Japanese cultural/mythological aspect. It is not difficult to grasp a general understanding but requires far more skills than I possess to explain properly.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Here are a few that I enjoyed ...

Paris Memories (2022) France
The Castle of Purity (1973) Mexico
Little by Little (1970 France
Herod's Law (1999) Mexico
Y tu Mama También (2001) Mexico - second time seeing this
Let the Right One In (2008) Sweden - second time seeing this
La Promesse (1996) Belgium
Two of Us (2019) France
The Fool (2014) Russia - really liked this one
A Priceless Day (1979) Hungary