"Oscars"

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bilbo

"Oscars"

Post by Bilbo »

This subject may have been covered somewhere before - if so I'm sorry to waste your time - if not - lets go!!

I have watched highlights of many Oscar Ceremonies and end up cringing at some of the acceptance speeches - I'm not against Oscars - I think the idea of rewarding outstanding performances in each field promotes healthy competition and better all round results.

I have cringed through a few but the last awards night this year contained the phrase - from a well known actress - "I would like to thank my mum and dad for having me" - WHAT!!!!!!

In my opinion there is only one person a best actor/actress should acknowledge - and that is the Director - he - or she - is the one responsible for getting a brilliant performance from them.

Directors - or Best Directors - in turn probably should thanks the script-writer and so on down through the various categories.

This idea of thanking mum and dad - husbands and wives - particularly the cringing speech of CZJ saying she "sleeps with him" - refering to Michael of course.

Many of you will disagree with me - but I'd be interested in your views

Bilbo
Vecchiolarry

Re: "Oscars"

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Bilbo,

Oh I don't disagee with you at all.. In fact, I agree 100%.....
And, I don't think anyone on this message board will disagree with you either; as we are all intelligent on here and probably cringe, like me, when I hear someone give a ridiculous speech.

One should probably just acknowledge that they love their husband or wife and parents, but actually thank their production staff and name only three.
They should also, as a courtesy, acknowledge their competition, as viable competitors.

Also, the words 'winner' and 'loser' should not ever be voiced during the ceremony.
I like it when one announces, "And, the Oscar will be awarded tonight to..."!!!!

Larry
Bilbo

Post by Bilbo »

Hi Larry

I like the idea of that - saying "awarded to" instead of "the winner is" - has a better ring to it.

When watching a star on film - acting the part - it is in some cases almost the only time you see them - so when given an "award" - their own personality comes out - and not a script writers or characters - that is when your perception of them changes.

OMG - that all sounds a bit deep - what is happening to me - help !

Bilbo
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi again,

Well, it is "deep" but certainly profound...

One must remember that many (but not all) of these stars are pretty vacant in the brains department.
Some reached fame & fortune in their teenage years and their youth; and unless they continued education and reading & learning throughout their lives, then they satyed stupid.

Sometimes when asked to speak, even for a minute, they reveal themselves pretty badly!!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I always appreciate a good speech at an awards show, especially more recently, since people seem to have gotten dumber or maybe just more full of themselves in the last few years.

If you are nominated, have the courtesy to come up with a decent speech, or have one written for you. Usually the writers have the best acceptance speeches. Others who I have enjoyed over the years are Michael Caine, who can entertain as soon as he opens his mouth, Randy Newman, who probably had a speech ready for 12 years, and Emma Thompson....I don't remember what she said, but I do remember it was good.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Is this the one? There is quite a bit before she is awarded the BAFTA, but it is all worth viewing. Talk about some acting!!!!

[youtube][/youtube]
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Oh I don't disagee with you at all.. In fact, I agree 100%.....
And, I don't think anyone on this message board will disagree with you either; as we are all intelligent on here
Perhaps I'm not quite that intelligent and I may be more of a black sheep member of the Oasis family, but I actually do disagree with a number of things.
Vecchiolarry wrote:One must remember that many (but not all) of these stars are pretty vacant in the brains department.
Most certainly this.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nan - yes! That's it! I can't believe you found it. I always like a funny speech, and also ones that seem truly heartfelt, she combined both very well, short and sweet too.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Larry my dear, you do get to the heart of the matter quickly. I loved this one though -- Shades of Lina Lamont and putting your true self forward. 8)

I know most of you must hate my references to C & W all the time, but I have to say one thing; the C & W folks do. practically without fail is thank the fans for buying their music. The best director in the world and the best surrounding co-stars cannot get that oscar for you if nobody goes to see your movie. 8)

I do want to give one small bit of credance to thanking your spouse, simply because of the long amounts of time spent away from the family. Let's face it, acting is not the only job that takes up a lot of time. Something as simple as managing a store, being a top flight executive or his/her assistant, etc. can all be tough on families. :roll:
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Here's is my $0.02 in this matter

We have the Academy Awards, The Golden Globes Awards, BET Awards, Country Music Awards, and 15-20 others awards shows as well and I've not watched any of them in the past 25-30 years because I simply cared less about them. To me, its basically staged, scripted, and politically motivated because I really don't trust these events at all.

I just had a hard time understanding the "nature" of these events and I often wonder why I just don't watch them. Because its boring to me. I have a dear friend who loves movies like I do; and he watched every Academy Awards shows on television in the past 40 years and loved them! I just can't watching 10 minutes of this; I rather watch "Patton", "Casablanca", "Bringing Up Baby", "Gilda", and/or any of the Hollywood Classics on FMC, TCM, AMC, and even my own local channels if there is an excellent movie showing that day of any of the Awards shows on Cable Television.

I'm not trying to be negative here ... but these shows including the Academy Awards ... aren't my cup of tea! Period!
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

We are crazy.

G.C.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith