LA Sheriffs' Dept Reopening the Case of Natalie Wood's Death

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

LA Sheriffs' Dept Reopening the Case of Natalie Wood's Death

Post by Lzcutter »

The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department announced this afternoon that it is reopening the case on Natalie Wood's death. Saying that "new information" has been brought to their attention.

"Recently, sheriff’s homicide investigators were contacted by persons who stated they had additional information about the Natalie Wood Wagner drowning," the department said, as reported by the Los Angeles Times. "Due to the additional information, sheriff’s homicide bureau has decided to take another look at the case."

The department has scheduled a press conference for 11 a.m. Friday.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Re: LA Sheriffs' Dept Reopening the Case of Natalie Wood's Death

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Pray do tell us more when the news has come in, it's unlikely to be shown on British TV. Has her family said anything about it?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm wondering what on Robert Wagner's (right now) mind when he heard about his wife sudden death (at 43) being re-opened again after 30 years. It will be interesting to see what unfolds here. I'm curious about it too!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The LA Times has provided pretty even-handed and extensive coverage of this turn of events and story background on their site. There are some who believe that the timing of this announcement, just prior to the 30th anniversary of Natalie Wood's tragic death, was prompted in part by the actress' younger sister, Lana Wood, (who has had a difficult life), and the Splendour's captain. Perhaps there are legitimate reasons to reexamine the case, including a need on the part of Lana Wood (who has expressed a longtime enmity for Wagner) and Dennis Davern, the captain of the boat, may have been prompted by restless consciences and perhaps some financial motivations as well. If you read the articles linked above, the police have emphasized that they are still regarding the matter as an accident, and Robert Wagner is not regarded as a suspect. Wagner issued a statement in support of the new investigation.

I am sorry for the children of the late actress. Her loss, and the memory of that at such a young age, must affect them painfully at each Thanksgiving. And none of this is going to bring their mother back to them.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Natalie Wood IMO was the most beautiful woman ever to appear on the screen, who as far as I can tell was a well respected woman who cared about others. I remember former disc jockey and actor Pete Murray saying Robert Wagner was one of the nicest people he had ever interviewed on his UK radio show, which seems to be a wide spread opinion of the actor. I hope the reputations of both R.J and Natalie aren't damaged.

PS IMO had she lived a normal life span Natalie would have been an actress of the stature of a Hepburn or a Davis and without doubt the most successful child/adult actress of all-time
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I have always thought that there may have been foul play on that boat. If Robert Wagner was involved in any way with Miss Wood's death, that is something he had to live with for the past 30 years. May she rest in peace.
Joseph Goodheart
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I am not sure what I hope for here. I prefer that all rest in peace, however, justice should prevail. The media will blow this up and perhaps out of proportion.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I am not sure what I hope for here. I prefer that all rest in peace, however, justice should prevail. The media will blow this up and perhaps out of proportion.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Christopher Walken, while also not a suspect, has retained a lawyer for dealing with the inquiries and the Sheriff's Office. The captain of the Splendour was on the Today show yesterday and basically said it was RJ's fault citing that he heard the two fighting and that he, the captain, lied 30 years ago in one of the reports he gave to law officials. He also says that Wagner refused the captain's request to turn on the searchlight and that Wagner didn't do much to look for Natalie when it was discovered she was missing. In some reports the captain came across as a bit crazy and opportunistic in trying to drum up sales for his book.

The CBS news show, 48 Hours, is scheduled to do a lengthy report tonight (Saturday) with the captain at the heart of the story.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It has made it to the news over here. I'm unsure as to what they are going to discover, I remember reading a book about Natalie a few years ago, I can't remember the author but it didn't appear to be a scandal mongering type of bio, it treated all parties to Natalie's life without rancour. There was something that really didn't add up, if she was as terrified of water as this book made out what would she be doing hanging over the side of the boat? Our paper today says that she had drunk plenty of wine and taken barbituates prior to falling into the ocean so perhaps this is explains it. Does anyone believe that Robert Wagner would not have called a search for Natalie as soon as he discovered her missing? Even if they had have been arguing prior to her accident a sense of emergency must have taken over you wouldn't just leave her out there. I'm a bit suspicious on the surface of what I've seen but hopefully time and a thorough police investigation will prevail.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ambervioletta

Post by ambervioletta »

I hope Natalie receives justice if infact her death was foul play.
She was an amazing, talented, and beautiful actress.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I adored Natalie Wood and still think she is one of the most beautiful women to grace the movie screens and with that said, I hope everyone understands how much I like her even though what I have to say will probably anger most of our readers.

With the book coming out by the Captain, the 30th anniversary of her death, and the 50th anniversary re-release of West Side Story, as well as the update and new production of West Side Story, I can't help being cynical and thinking FREE ADVERTISEMENT ! ! !

I would love to know the answer to this question - Did she have a bracelet on her left wrist when her body was found? I understand the dinghy was gone and found out on the lake so I doubt if she was
'dangling ' over the side of the Splendor considering her fear of water, which she overcame at least twice for parts in her movies. Also, all of us who are, or have been married know you get into arguments with your spouse from time to time, and I imagine between two actors the the calibre of RJ and Natalie, an argument can get pretty dramatic, so even if they did disagree about something that night . . . maybe RJ could buy off the Captain, but I doubt if he could buy off Walken, who apparently was already under Natalie's spell, since he had already followed her like a puppy from the Carolinas to California for the holiday. As for the bracelet, I imagine most of you know she had a tiny scar on her left wrist which she felt was VERY noticeable, so she never left the house without a bracelet on her wrist, and no matter how drunk she was, that instinct would have made her wear a bracelet, like some women and lipstick since the story was that she was headed for the mainland and a bar.

When all of this started RJ said 'bring it on'. . . he's not worried about more investigation. As for sister Lana, she's pretty but no raving beauty like Natalie, and less than half the acting talent, and she probably resented RJ long before Natalies death for not getting more parts for her instead of his wife, who didn't really need his help.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************