A Man to Remember, in Several Languages

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

A Man to Remember, in Several Languages

Post by jdb1 »

Did anyone catch "A Man to Remember" early this morning on TCM?

I was a nice little film about a dedicated smalltown doctor and his positive impact on a generally ungrateful town. Anne Shirley and Lee Bowman were in it.

The real attraction was that this particular print had subtitles, which looked like Dutch. It was a first very distracting, but then became fascinating, because once you heard the dialog, you could pick out most of the Dutch written words - the language has so very many similarities to English (or is it the other way around?). In any event, I was much more entertained than I thought I would be. A bit of international cinema on a Saturday morning.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I didn't see it but it looks interesting from the discription. I will try to catch it next time it shows.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Having had a day to think about this one, I would say it was really quite good of this genre - the actors were very good, the pace was not draggy, and and the story was quite heartwarming. The actor who played the good doctor was lovable but not syrupy.

This would be a good one for the Funday Night concept - a good family movie with plenty of kids in it (there's a polio epidemic scare) to keep the young people watching. The whole polio scenario would be quite educational - how the disease was such a threat in the US at that time; what was done to minimize the epidemic's effects; what is done now, etc. There were still plenty of children in leg braces when I was a kid, and you rarely see such a thing now. This movie could be a good tool to show to the younger generation to emphasize that what happened in the past does matter today.