This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Hibi

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by Hibi »

Yes, the score has a Green Acres feel to it! LOL (a demented Green Acres) I watched the early part of the film, but there was something else on later so I switched. I'd seen the film several times before. I agree Stanwyck looked great. It's too bad that this turned out to be her final film. It's a bit better than the usual Castle schlock and she doesn't descend to the likes of Charlotte or Baby Jane in appearance, but it's still William Castle. The film's casting is interesting. Wonder whose decision it was to cast Taylor. And interesting that Babs agreed to it a decade or so after they divorced.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks for that article....I love Gwengoolie & Nostalgiaferatoo and when Koz is ready to retire hope they can "take over"...but then what would the show be called?

All those demo tapes the public sent in were fun to see but just illustrates the chasm between amateurs & professional actors. I'm so glad they hired talented pros and hope Gwengoolie doesn't resort to imitating Elvira.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: December 18th, 2023, 10:44 am Yes, the score has a Green Acres feel to it! LOL (a demented Green Acres) I watched the early part of the film, but there was something else on later so I switched. I'd seen the film several times before. I agree Stanwyck looked great. It's too bad that this turned out to be her final film. It's a bit better than the usual Castle schlock and she doesn't descend to the likes of Charlotte or Baby Jane in appearance, but it's still William Castle. The film's casting is interesting. Wonder whose decision it was to cast Taylor. And interesting that Babs agreed to it a decade or so after they divorced.

Bob was the love of Missy's life. I think the reason they broke up was because of Stanwyck's workaholic ways; whenever Taylor wanted to take vacations and have a more laid-back lifestyle, Barbara enjoyed grinding out another movie. But I think they had an amicable divorce and always remained friends. It's fascinating to watch their interactions in THE NIGHT WALKER. There's a particular scene where Robert is guiding her along a hallway. He places an affectionate and protective hand around her back. It didn't seem rehearsed. Babs in turn looked into his eyes with shy smiles almost like a schoolgirl.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, I had read she attended his funeral and cried though the entire service.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

I personnaly do not believe they were very friendly towards each other.Bob Taylor asked her several times to let go the 15% share of his income he had to shell out as long as she was single,it happened several times in the 60's as his earning power was diminishing and she always refused despite being very rich herself.Apparently they did not know they were playing in The Night Walker before signing the deal,another stunt by William Castle.Barbara was mad at Taylor for having strayed with others while married to her,it started early in the marriage,Taylor was dominated by his mother hence Stanwyck took over.Taylor was a confused man and found his path with Ursula Thiess in the early 50's while filming Quo Vadis in Rome.I'am waiting for many years for the part two of Stanwyck's bio ,pretty sure nothing really scandalous will emerge, she is my favorite Hollywood actress.Helen Ferguson was more important than Taylor for Barbara there is even one film with that name in the early 50's...she shared her life for something like 30 years.As far as i see it it was an arranged contract and Taylor broke it and she was resentful for the situation.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:25 am I personnaly do not believe they were very friendly towards each other.Bob Taylor asked her several times to let go the 15% share of his income he had to shell out as long as she was single,it happened several times in the 60's as his earning power was diminishing and she always refused despite being very rich herself.Apparently they did not know they were playing in The Night Walker before signing the deal,another stunt by William Castle.Barbara was mad at Taylor for having strayed with others while married to her,it started early in the marriage,Taylor was dominated by his mother hence Stanwyck took over.Taylor was a confused man and found his path with Ursula Thiess in the early 50's while filming Quo Vadis in Rome.I'am waiting for many years for the part two of Stanwyck's bio ,pretty sure nothing really scandalous will emerge, she is my favorite Hollywood actress.Helen Ferguson was more important than Taylor for Barbara there is even one film with that name in the early 50's...she shared her life for something like 30 years.As far as i see it it was an arranged contract and Taylor broke it and she was resentful for the situation.
Who was Helen Ferguson? Yeah, what happened to that Part Two of Stanwyck's biography??? The first part must've came out a decade ago to very mixed reviews. I enjoyed it but it was way too detailed and too long. I wound up skimming through parts that didnt involve Barbara. That's interesting about the casting of Night Walker. I had not heard that. It must have been awkward for both of them working together.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 21st, 2023, 4:36 pm He places an affectionate and protective hand around her back. Babs in turn looked into his eyes with shy smiles almost like a schoolgirl.
nakanosunplaza wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:25 am I personally do not believe they were very friendly towards each other.
Wow I love those contrasting accounts!

I actually believe ALL that is true (or could be) because over the span of time, feelings can change between two people who love each other. Life is complicated and actors are just normal people who have weird jobs.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I had not realized how young Robert Taylor was when he died (only 58). He looked much older.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

nakanosunplaza wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:25 am I personnaly do not believe they were very friendly towards each other.Bob Taylor asked her several times to let go the 15% share of his income he had to shell out as long as she was single,it happened several times in the 60's as his earning power was diminishing and she always refused despite being very rich herself.Apparently they did not know they were playing in The Night Walker before signing the deal,another stunt by William Castle.Barbara was mad at Taylor for having strayed with others while married to her,it started early in the marriage,Taylor was dominated by his mother hence Stanwyck took over.Taylor was a confused man and found his path with Ursula Thiess in the early 50's while filming Quo Vadis in Rome.I'am waiting for many years for the part two of Stanwyck's bio ,pretty sure nothing really scandalous will emerge, she is my favorite Hollywood actress.Helen Ferguson was more important than Taylor for Barbara there is even one film with that name in the early 50's...she shared her life for something like 30 years.As far as i see it it was an arranged contract and Taylor broke it and she was resentful for the situation.

Wow, thank you for this crucial information, nakano! I did remember reading that Taylor was attracted to strong women because of the relationship with his mother but didn't know the rest of the story with Stanwyck.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

1/6: The Invisible Ray (1936) w/ Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Frances Drake and Frank Lawton. Plus Beulah Bondi and Frank Reicher. And directed by Lambert Hillyer.

1/13: The Old Dark House (1932) w/ Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton, Gloria Stuart, Lilian Bond, Ernest Thesiger, Eva Moore, Raymond Massey, Elspeth Dudgeon and Brember Wills. And directed by James Whale.

1/20: The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) w/ Peter Cushing, Peter Woodthorpe, Duncan Lamont and Sandor Elès. Plus Kiwi Kingston. Screenplay by Anthony Hinds. And directed by Freddie Francis.

1/27: Willard (1971) w/ Bruce Davison, Sondra Locke, Elsa Lanchester and Ernest Borgnine. And directed by Daniel Mann.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 3:24 pm This month on Svengoolie...

1/6: The Invisible Ray (1936) w/ Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Frances Drake and Frank Lawton. Plus Beulah Bondi and Frank Reicher. And directed by Lambert Hillyer.

1/13: The Old Dark House (1932) w/ Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton, Gloria Stuart, Lilian Bond, Ernest Thesiger, Eva Moore, Raymond Massey, Elspeth Dudgeon and Brember Wills. And directed by James Whale.

1/20: The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) w/ Peter Cushing, Peter Woodthorpe, Duncan Lamont and Sandor Elès. Plus Kiwi Kingston. Screenplay by Anthony Hinds. And directed by Freddie Francis.

1/27: Willard (1971) w/ Bruce Davison, Sondra Locke, Elsa Lanchester and Ernest Borgnine. And directed by Daniel Mann.
Thanks, I love The Invisible Ray. Great cast, including Violet Kemble Cooper as Boris Karloff's mother. She has one of the last lines in the film, as she performs one of the most noble acts in a horror film. The Invisible Ray may be the first movie about the misuse of radiation.

Boris Karloff, Violet Kemble Cooper
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hadn't watched THE INVISIBLE RAY in literally decades so was thrilled to see it on Sven's schedule. Everything came back to me -- I was mouthing all the dialogue, lol.

"They come like thieves in the night and steal EVERYTHING from me!"

"Lady Arabella...matchmaker..."

In a delightful reversal, Boris is enjoyably hammy here while Bela's performance registers delicate restraint.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Willard (1971) was on last night and I still like it. Bruce Davison's performance is excellent and there is fine support from Sondra Locke, Elsa Lanchester and Ernest Borgnine as the boss from hell. The scenes with hordes of rats are still disturbing and will have you pulling your feet up while sitting on the couch.
Some trivia that Sven did not cover-

Two of Bruce Davison's memorable roles later on were as the suspected child molester in the film version of the Miguel Pinero play Short Eyes (1977) and Davison got an Oscar nomination for Longtime Companion (1990).

The director Daniel Mann previously directed three actresses to Oscar wins-
Shirley Booth for Come Back Little Sheba (1952)

Anna Magnani in The Rose Tattoo (1955)

Elizabeth Taylor in Butterfield 8 (1960)
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

2/3: Revenge of the Creature (1955) w/ John Agar, Lori Nelson, John Bromfield and Nestor Paiva. Plus Ricou Browning, Tom Hennesy and, of course, Clint Eastwood. And directed by Jack Arnold.

2/10: The Monster That Challenged the World (1957) w/ Tim Holt, Audrey Dalton and Hans Conried. And directed by Arnold Laven. Audrey Dalton! Hopefully Dargo doesn't have other plans for that evening! :-D

2/17: Bride of Frankenstein (1935) w/ Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger and Elsa Lanchester. Plus Una O'Connor, E.E. Clive, O.P. Heggie, Dwight Frye, Mary Gordon, Walter Brennan and John Carradine. And directed by James Whale.

2/24: How to Make a Monster (1958) w/ Robert H. Harris, Paul Brinegar, Gary Conway and Gary Clarke.