This week on SVENGOOLIE...

LostHorizons

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by LostHorizons »

Destroy All Monsters is terrible.

Not so fun fact: it is the lowest rated movie in the Criterion collection both on IMDB and on Letterboxd.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin, I used to get confused as well with those hunchback characters. Your "hunch" (sorry) is correct -- Naish is the one in HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. He falls in love with a gypsy girl (Elena Verdugo, who has eyes for someone else...) Poor Daniel.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

LostHorizons wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 7:26 am Destroy All Monsters is terrible.

Not so fun fact: it is the lowest rated movie in the Criterion collection both on IMDB and on Letterboxd.
Won't disagree with you. But it was the first Godzilla movie that I ever saw on the big screen and that was when I was the ideal age for such a movie. So it gets a pass from me just on the basis of nostalgia.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

6/1: The Tingler (1959) w/ Vincent Price, Judith Evelyn, Darryl Hickman (rest in peace) and Patricia Cutts. And directed by William Castle.

6/8: The Monolith Monsters (1957) w/ Grant Williams, Lola Albright, Les Tremayne, Trevor Bardette and Phil Harvey. Plus William Schallert, Troy Donahue and Paul Petersen. And directed by John Sherwood.

6/15: The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) w/ Vincent Price, John Kerr, Barbara Steele and Luana Anders. Written by Richard Matheson. And directed by Roger Corman (also rest in peace).

6/22: The Leech Woman (1960) w/ Coleen Gray, Grant Williams, Philip Terry and Gloria Talbot.

6/29: The Undead (1957) w/ Pamela Duncan, Richard Garland and Allison Hayes. Plus Val Dufour and Mel Welles. And Billy Barty and Dick Miller. And directed by Roger Corman. In case you missed it last December (like I did!).
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LiamCasey wrote: Yesterday, 12:05 pm This month on Svengoolie...

6/1: The Tingler (1959) w/ Vincent Price, Judith Evelyn, Darryl Hickman (rest in peace) and Patricia Cutts. And directed by William Castle.

6/8: The Monolith Monsters (1957) w/ Grant Williams, Lola Albright, Les Tremayne, Trevor Bardette and Phil Harvey. Plus William Schallert, Troy Donahue and Paul Petersen. And directed by John Sherwood.

6/15: The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) w/ Vincent Price, John Kerr, Barbara Steele and Luana Anders. Written by Richard Matheson. And directed by Roger Corman (also rest in peace).

6/22: The Leech Woman (1960) w/ Coleen Gray, Grant Williams, Philip Terry and Gloria Talbot.

6/29: The Undead (1957) w/ Pamela Duncan, Richard Garland and Allison Hayes. Plus Val Dufour and Mel Welles. And Billy Barty and Dick Miller. And directed by Roger Corman. In case you missed it last December (like I did!).
Nice line up of films for Sven with some actresses that I like: Gloria Talbot, Barbara Steele, Coleen Gray, Lola Albright, and Allison Hayes.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: Yesterday, 12:05 pm This month on Svengoolie...

I love The Undead, it's funny and creepy and unusual, a sort of Search for Bridey Murphy-influenced horror.

SPOILER:

The Leech Woman is also great and features some great lines. Estelle Helmsley, playing Old Malla, a member of the Nando tribe, says to Coleen Gray: "You will never divorce your husband. You won't have to. He will die. His death will give you life. A new way of life. You may run away but you will never escape me. YOU ARE THE ONE IN MY DREAMS OF BLOOD!"

Estelle Helmsley
Last edited by Swithin on June 1st, 2024, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Vincent Price goes on possibly the screen's first LSD trip in THE TINGLER, airing tonight.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: Yesterday, 3:45 pm Vincent Price goes on possibly the screen's first LSD trip in THE TINGLER, airing tonight.
Of course though, LSD wasn't illegal yet when The Tingler was made. I guess it provides some interest, since The Tingler is pretty silly stuff, although the scene with the creature loose in a movie theatre has some panache
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yeah, I like that part too! Plus what poor Judith Evelyn finds in her bathtub...