A Doris Day Festival on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

A Doris Day Festival on TCM

Post by moira finnie »

Got a favorite Doris Day movie? Chances are this festival that begins with a week of Doris Day every night this week will probably include it. The festivities start at 8pm and last until the wee hours each night. Tonight features some good ones, with Lullaby of Broadway, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, My Dream is Yours, On Moonlight Bay, and Romance on the High Sea on the menu tonight. You can see more details here:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/4 ... l-2-6.html

Here are the other films to look for during this event:

Tea for Two
It's a Great Feeling
Starlift
Lover Come Back
That Touch of Mink
Move Over, Darling
Do Not Disturb
The Tunnel of Love
Lucky Me
Billy Rose's Jumbo
Midnight Lace
Storm Warning
The Winning Team
Julie
The West Point Story
Please Don't Eat the Daisies
The Thrill of It All
The Glass Bottom Boat
It Happened to Jane
April in Paris
Love Me or Leave Me
Young Man With a Horn
I'll See You in My Dreams*

* My fave!! Danny Thomas and Doris were a great team in this schmaltzy but enjoyable biopic.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Re: A Doris Day Festival on TCM

Post by knitwit45 »

AND it has Mary Wickes (my new image)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm pretty much a Doris Day fan ... I'm a sucker for a cute blonde like her and she has a charisma and charm of her own. I love them all for no apparent reasons whatsoever. I will be watching some of them late night on Turner Classic Movies.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:AND it has Mary Wickes (my new image)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
LOVE Mary Wickes and your new avatar. Don't you just long for her to get more screen time when she played the salty-talking, high-handed (but warm-hearted) housekeeper in I'll See You in My Dreams (1951)? Did you hear what Doris said about her being elegant off-camera while being hilarious on in that extended featurette that Day narrated? I let out a whoop when she mentioned her and Jack Carson during that spot. 12:15 AM

Btw, I'll See You in My Dreams is on early Sat. at 12:15am ET on TCM.

Here's a treat for Wickes fans from Mary's alma mater, the Washington University Libraries, which the actress endowed with her papers and funds to build up the Film and Theater Studies collection. These thumbnails are from an article from the Fall 2006 issue of Off the Shelf, found online here, with some great quotes from the lady herself:
ImageImage
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I wish Mary Wickes got more screen time in virtually every movie she ever made, from Miss Preen to Sister Mary Lazarus. I suspect she was a treasure. Thanks for the Washington U library info! I laugh hard every single time I see the Doris promo, and Mary Wickes takes that bump to the rear causing her to spill that tray in such a robust way. How they kept from cracking up on set and losing the takes, I don't know.

My top favorite Doris movies are Romance on the High Seas and Young At Heart, with Lover Come Back next and I'll See You in my Dreams after that. Doris has a way of making her more unusual leading men, like Danny Thomas or Frank Sinatra, shine. I would never have thought that either one would work well with Doris, or be compatible with her but they are, and I love the way she brings their characters out. I'll See You in My Dreams is nice because you get to see Doris in a sort of Country Girl role that makes you wonder about her just a little. And those songs! Oh gosh, to write any ONE of them would be a dream come true. Probably the most hummable score to a movie ever.

I was pretty disheartened to fall asleep right at the beginning of By the Light of the Silvery Moon last night since this was one I especially liked when I was kid and I haven't seen it since. Or it might have been Moonlight Bay, I'm never sure which is which. They used to show them often on WFLD in Chicago. The beginning of Silvery Moon looked really promising.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Doris Day Star of the month fest? It's Magic! I am in heaven...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:I wish Mary Wickes got more screen time in virtually every movie she ever made, from Miss Preen to Sister Mary Lazarus. I suspect she was a treasure. Thanks for the Washington U library info! I laugh hard every single time I see the Doris promo, and Mary Wickes takes that bump to the rear causing her to spill that tray in such a robust way. How they kept from cracking up on set and losing the takes, I don't know.

Funny you should reference "Now Voyager" Jaxxx. She seemed kind of ominous giving "Granny dear" a neck rub. But here...ahh, here:

[youtube][/youtube]
"I can feel the hot blood pumping through your varicose veins!"
My top favorite Doris movies are Romance on the High Seas and Young At Heart, with Lover Come Back next and I'll See You in my Dreams after that. Doris has a way of making her more unusual leading men, like Danny Thomas or Frank Sinatra, shine. I would never have thought that either one would work well with Doris, or be compatible with her but they are, and I love the way she brings their characters out. I'll See You in My Dreams is nice because you get to see Doris in a sort of Country Girl role that makes you wonder about her just a little. And those songs! Oh gosh, to write any ONE of them would be a dream come true. Probably the most hummable score to a movie ever.
Of the films TCM is showing during Doris' stint as STAR OF THE MONTH (yay!) my top five favorites are:

1. "My Dream Is Yours" (She's a gum smacking hep cat. I love it!)
2. "Lover Come Back" ("...like olives it's something you acquire a taste for").
3. "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (A mom with four kids can be sexy too...what with David Niven as the father).
4. "Love Me Or Leave Me" (She stands toe-to-toe with the great Cagney. Fantastic dramatic performance).
5. "Midnight Lace" (I love her frightened and hysterical).

and my least favorites (and I mean I can't even record or watch 'em) are:

1. "Tunnel Of Love"
2. "April In Paris"
3. "Jumbo"
4. "Lucky Me"
5. "The Winning Team"

Should I really give Danny Thomas a chance with her? Your "Country Girl" comment intrigues me if Doris is one of those passive-agressive wives like Grace was in "CG" or June Allyson in "The Shrike." If she's not that...then I'm stuck with just Danny Thomas. (Or is that Danny Kaye? MOIRA...my glasses!!) Tell me wha'cha mean.
I was pretty disheartened to fall asleep right at the beginning of By the Light of the Silvery Moon last night since this was one I especially liked when I was kid and I haven't seen it since. Or it might have been Moonlight Bay, I'm never sure which is which. They used to show them often on WFLD in Chicago. The beginning of Silvery Moon looked really promising.
Your WFLD sounds like NYC's WOR where "Million Dollar Movie" used to run one film for an entire week.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yeah, you could never make Now, Voyager nowadays. Mary cheerfully drugging up the old person to keep her quiet for a while probably wouldn't go over very well now... :D

Banjo is my favorite part of TMWCTD, I've always longed to use the rye bread line on someone.

Speaking of Jimmy Durante, I am actually enjoying the schmaltzy Billy Rose's Jumbo right now, partly because of Stephen Boyd, who is always easy on the eyes, and partly because of Doris, Jimmy and Martha Raye as happy go lucky carny types. Doris and Stephen have good chemistry. And the score is fabulous! It's fun to watch which stunts Doris or Stephen did, and which ones they cut away from, like Stephen dancing. He must have had two left feet, but who cares? When you have a dimple the size of the grand canyon and masses of thick curly hair, he could barely know how to walk and I wouldn't mind it. :D

Give I'[ll See You in My Dreams a try. I think it might surprise you. There's really very little 'cute' in it, and it's a quick watch if you don't like it.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Midnight Lace and Storm Warning TONIGHT!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Midnight Lace and Storm Warning TONIGHT!
Thanks for the reminder ... I haven't seen these two in years ... Mr. Ark. thanks for your post here!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][b][i][color=#BF0000]JACKFAVELL[/color][/i][/b][/u] wrote:Yeah, you could never make Now, Voyager nowadays. Mary cheerfully drugging up the old person to keep her quiet for a while probably wouldn't go over very well now... :D

Ha! D'ohhhh!
Banjo is my favorite part of TMWCTD, I've always longed to use the rye bread line on someone.
Banjo IS a hot mess, isn't he. Saaaay, isn't there a pretty cute guy in your house that you can use that line on when the kidling is with grandma?
Speaking of Jimmy Durante, I am actually enjoying the schmaltzy Billy Rose's Jumbo right now, partly because of Stephen Boyd, who is always easy on the eyes, and partly because of Doris, Jimmy and Martha Raye as happy go lucky carny types. Doris and Stephen have good chemistry. And the score is fabulous! It's fun to watch which stunts Doris or Stephen did, and which ones they cut away from, like Stephen dancing. He must have had two left feet, but who cares? When you have a dimple the size of the grand canyon and masses of thick curly hair, he could barely know how to walk and I wouldn't mind it. :D
I saw him jump onto a net to avoid kissing Doris, and then run out of the tent like a little s..... Huh? Oh wait...they did just kiss. Alright now! Yeah, Stephen Boyd, now there's a good-looking man!...maybe he needs a neck massage. Where's my nurse's outfit????
Give I'll See You in My Dreams a try. I think it might surprise you. There's really very little 'cute' in it, and it's a quick watch if you don't like it.
Well...I was s'pose to try and see different films by the stars I love instead of the same three movies a hundred times. Does Uncle Tonoose croon as well?

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know from Uncle Tonoose, but Danny's really good! I was surprised, and have been in most of his movies. I'd say this one is his best, at least that I've seen.

Can I play Blondell to your Stanwyck as Night Nurse to Stephen Boyd? I am finding I really really like him, ever since THE BEST OF EVERYTHING.

I can't use the rye bread line on Andrew, it's one of the few classic films he's already seen and liked. He continues to call the movie THE PENGUINS though.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:I don't know from Uncle Tonoose, but Danny's really good! I was surprised, and have been in most of his movies. I'd say this one is his best, at least that I've seen.

Can I play Blondell to your Stanwyck as Night Nurse to Stephen Boyd? I am finding I really really like him, ever since THE BEST OF EVERYTHING.

I can't use the rye bread line on Andrew, it's one of the few classic films he's already seen and liked. He continues to call the movie THE PENGUINS though.
Ha!!!!!! That cracked me up. You're quick!!! Why sure...you can be Blondell. She's the sassier babe anyway. Sooooooo who'll take the first shift? The patient is getting restless. And so is the nurse.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Oops!!! See what happens when you press the wrong button. (Double post).

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You can have the first shift - I'll clean up the hot mess that's left. :shock: