Rio Grande

JackFavell

Re: Rio Grande

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I love that shot (literally) of Ben(?) firing the gun while protecting Maureen and the encampment. I don't know how you got it!

I once tried to cap the part where Maureen is doing laundry, holding up some drawers, with Dobe standing behind her, sucking on a piece of straw. I think the look on both their faces is hilarious! but my computer or the dvd I had refused to cooperate, skipping past it every time. I probably tried thirty times to get it.

Also love the horses riding through Monument Valley, kicking up just enough dust to look really pretty.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Do you mean this shot?

That's not Ben. That's just some soldier whose sleep was interrupted by the Indian attack (you'll notice he's shirtless) and is firing his rifle.

Most of the location shooting was done around the Moab, Utah area, near or on the Colorado River -- the same place where they shot Wagon Master. I think there was some shooting done in Monument Valley.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i know i've asked this before, but what video player do you use to take your screen caps from, paula?
ever since i had to replace the hard drive on my iMac, the VLC Player has not acted right and won't let me fast-forward (or slow forward for that matter) at all, which makes taking screencaps impossible. unfortunately, Macs don't have many options for media players like PCs do.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I just use the pre-installed Mac DVD player, which is called... "DVD Player." ;)

I insert a DVD and DVD Player opens up and the disc begins to play. I use DVD Snap to make the screencaps.
Littledrummerboy

Post by Littledrummerboy »

I loved this film. Always a big fan of the Duke. I saw some of his early "B" movies before he became a household name. My father and I used to watch the Duke movies when I was a young boy together. I recently was able to "The Searchers" on the big screen with a good friend of mine. It was an experience I relished.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hi, Littledrummerboy! It's nice to meet you. What a great thing that you shared these movies with your dad. Welcome to the SSO.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Finally posting more pics, from (again) approx. the next 20 minutes.

Batch 1.

------->
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 2.

------>
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 3.

------ >
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 4

Once again I leave everyone in suspense, this time in the middle of an attack instead of an embrace....sorry! ;) It will be at least a week before I have the final bunch of screencaps ready but eventually I'll get 'em posted. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's such a great movie, I can't even pick out any favorites.... they are all my favorites. Ben and the beans maybe? He cracks me up talking about beef. Or the kiss with the flowers crushed in between them... or Vic MacLaglen's shocked mug.... or .....
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Well, here where go for the finale of Rio Grande. I have prepared a lot of screencaps from this section of the movie to post here. However, it's still going to be a while until I actually get these online and published at the Ben webpage. I am kind of scratching my head as to what to say about it, since so much has been written. I especially love Lloyd Fonvielle's take on it and you can bet I will be posting the link to his short essay on the movie. (My husband and our friend John are downstairs watching Ice Station Zebra and talking constantly while the movie plays -- sometimes discussing it, sometimes getting waaay off-topic -- and all that talking drives me nuts, so here I am posting Rio Grande screencaps instead. Hee. :) )

Batch 1

Maureen O'Hara and Cliff Lyons in a soundstage shot with rear-projection

Fred Kennedy

Cliff Lyons and Claude Jarman, Jr.

------>
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 2

------>
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 3

------>
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 4

Let's go, Alamo!

Wonder how long they searched for the exact right place that would give them this beautiful vista of the village allowing the cavalry to sweep in in such spectacular fashion. Or maybe because of their familiarity with the area they knew exactly where they were going to build the set.

I love it that John Wayne really rides his horse up the steps and into the church, which allowed Ford to film such a dynamic, exciting shot. He really was an excellent horseman, even though he used to say he only rode because he got paid to do so.

------>