The First Pre-Code - The Wind

SSO Admins
Administrator

The First Pre-Code - The Wind

Post by SSO Admins »

Ok, not really. But Sunday I took the time to watch "The Wind" again, and the sex nearly jumps off the screen.

Major spoilers in here, so if you plan to see it for the first time, don't read.

The TCM version is preceded by a bit in which Lillian Gish reminisces about the making of the film. According to her the studio insisted on a happy ending for the movie, and forced them to change it. But a lot of the film's power resides in the ending used.

Apparently in the novel, following her rape by Roddy Wirt and his subsequent murder, Letty wanders into the desert insane to certain death. This was supposedly the ending originally scheduled for the film.

First off, I don't believe that the ending to the movie was "tacked on." Second, i don't see it as a poor ending; I see it as brilliant. I have no idea what the theme of the novel was, but as a film about the sexual awakening of a young girl, the ending used was fantastic. The wind is an obvious metaphor for lust, and its implacable presence shows that sexual desire is not a force to be denied.

A modern viewer would have problems with Letty finally discovering her sexual nature through being raped (although if anyone remembers Luke and Laura from General Hospitall this isn't unknown). This is a world away from the Victorian notion that rape is a fate worse than death. Letty isn't about to jump off a cliff like Mae Marsh, although she does exact revenge for the violence shown her.

The ending doesn't work because Letty suddenly discovers that she loves Lige, it works because she suddenly discovers that she desires him. One can see the cattle being seriously neglected after the close of the film since Letty doesn't seem to be in a mood to allow Lige to do much in the way of chores. Letty's change of attitude isn't unexplained as some have criticized -- it follows naturally.

Also, major props to the cast. This may be one of the finest ensembles ever put before the camera. Gish is amazing, showing Letty struggling with her sexual repression. Lars Hanson, as a man who Letty rejects in spite of being handsome and robust, is also perfect. Montagu Love manages to be villianous and virile at the same time.

But second place trophy after Gish has to go to Dorothy Cumming as Cora. The brief ghost of a smile that passes over her face when her eldest son slaps Letty is fantastic. In spite of the fact that most of her actions in the movie can be seen as villianous, she manages to generate a great deal of sympathy for her character, who feels threatened by the sudden imposition of this beautiful young girl upon her family.

So I'm rambling here, and its obvious that my thinking needs some refinement. But I think that my main point is correct -- that this would be a good film, but not a great one, with the original ending.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I watched The Wind this morning for the first time. I would've never thought of it in the terms that you put forth, Jon, but it makes perfect sense to me.

I had always heard that it was a film about a woman going insane because of the wind. But sexual awakening makes so much more sense. Letty (Lillian Gish) is surrounded by men, cattle, wild horses, guns.

I agree with your assessment of the wonderful performance of Cora. I thought she was especially good in the scene where she takes Letty to Roddy, and Letty comes back, and for a split second, Cora debates in her mind whether or not to leave Letty stranded.

Great food for thought, Jon!

Sandy K