JOAN CRAWFORD - TCM STAR OF THE MONTH - JANUARY 2014

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

JOAN CRAWFORD - TCM STAR OF THE MONTH - JANUARY 2014

Post by CineMaven »

JOAN CRAWFORD - MOVIE STAR

She may or may not be some folks' cup of tea. But there's no denying this. She WAS a movie star in the full sense of the word. TCM will show the depth and breadth of her career from the 1920's until the 1970's, changing her look with the times. And as has happened to me before...I think I'll be re-discovering someone I think I already know. Maybe it can happen to you too.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Re: JOAN CRAWFORD - TCM STAR OF THE MONTH - JANUARY 2014

Post by ChiO »

She definitely is my cup of tea. And what a kick-off with THE UNKNOWN -- one of my favorite Silents, my favorite Browning and my favorite Chaney.

I used the knife-throwing scene in a class as an example of Pre-Code & Horror eroticism. I think I was the only one who bought it...but at least I got to watch it...again.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Count me in as one of those people who finds herself undeniably interested in Crawford's films despite having seen them before, though I don't have any use for her later films (post-The Best of Everything are not something I ever wish to behold once again, though I have sometimes thought that Joan could have done well in more supporting roles). The entire run-down of movies on the TCM schedule for Joan Crawford's month can be seen here.

Of course there are the Essential Joans (the run of Warner Bros. doozies from the masterwork Mildred Pierce to the sublime Humoresque and along the tawdry Flamingo Road all the way down to This Woman is Dangerous are my go-to J.C. flicks for sheer, unalloyed entertainment), but some of the ones that I found were most revelatory and worth exploring for fun and insight were her late MGM movies, especially when I can change the plots in my head while watching them and gauge how tightly wound the leading lady was while filming.

Aside from the phenomenal A Woman's Face (1941), [which might be her best ever], I really got a kick out of Above Suspicion (1943), since no one in their right mind would pair Crawford with Fred MacMurray, would they? Especially since Fred is supposed to be a Cambridge-educated professor, but they are a frisky couple, despite the absurdness of the plot. Yet here's one that I only recently discovered that I loved:
Above: Joan Crawford appears a tad indifferent to John Wayne in Reunion in France, but she clearly felt warm for Philip Dorn's suave form in this scene.

Reunion in France (1941): Joan and John Wayne? No, that's not terribly credible, though the Duke tries hard to melt her iceberg of a character. Yet, there is a spark between Parisian Joanie and Philip Dorn, who plays her collaborationist main squeeze. Before coming into his own later, director Jules Dassin cut his teeth on this and other movies at MGM (see 1942's Nazi Agent sometime for a really good Dassin-helmed B flick starring Conrad Veidt as twins!).

Do you have any favorites among Crawford's films?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

CineMaven, I'll be sitting front row center for the Crawford festival. She is also my cup of tea.
Disappointed that I didn't see her Oscar nominated role in "Sudden Fear" on the list.
Still have her autographed photo and notes on blue paper that she sent to me. A real movie star.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

mongoII wrote:CineMaven, I'll be sitting front row center for the Crawford festival. She is also my cup of tea.
Disappointed that I didn't see her Oscar nominated role in "Sudden Fear" on the list.
Still have her autographed photo and notes on blue paper that she sent to me. A real movie star.
Joe, did you see the recent repeat episode of a 2010 Antiques Roadshow with a GIANT autograph and letter from Joan included in a batch being evaluated? Ms. Crawford might be upset to learn that her "joan hancock" is not as valuable as it ought to be since she was so incredibly diligent about writing and signing letters to her many fans. Not that you are interested in selling, but I think that more of us would pay more for one!
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]mongoII[/color][/u] wrote:CineMaven, I'll be sitting front row center for the Crawford festival. She is also my cup of tea. Disappointed that I didn't see her Oscar nominated role in "Sudden Fear" on the list...Still have her autographed photo and notes on blue paper that she sent to me. A real movie star.
Hey Mongo...Happy New Year Joey B. I've never seen "SUDDEN FEAR" and that was the first film I looked for when I saw TCM was featuring her. :(

[u][color=#FF0000]ChiO[/color][/u] wrote:She definitely is my cup of tea. And what a kick-off with THE UNKNOWN -- one of my favorite Silents, my favorite Browning and my favorite Chaney.I used the knife-throwing scene in a class as an example of Pre-Code & Horror eroticism. I think I was the only one who bought it...but at least I got to watch it...again.
Pre-Code Horror Eroticism? Whoa! I wonder if Mr. Arkadin knows about that. Giallo before the Italians invented it. :lol:

[u][color=#FF0000]moirafinnie[/color][/u] wrote:Do you have any favorites among Crawford's films?
I have similar Crawford Go-To films. I know those later films are really tough to see her in ( "Trog" et al. ) I think her sheer force of will kept her career going so long. My favorites are in "The Women" "Mildred Pierce" "Humoresque" "Possessed" "...Baby Jane?" of course. My friend Sheila loves her with Fred MacMurray and I hope to see different Joans than I always see.

She was a pretty girl.

ImageImage
NOW whose got Bette Davis Eyes?

But I do love her entrance in "RAIN." Eyes and lips, that garish gargoyle make up. That dangling cigarette a meatphor ( ? ) But when Joan alights and greets the soldiers with: "BOYS." Joanaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! :D

[u][color=#FF0000]moirafinnie[/color][/u] wrote:Joe, did you see the recent repeat episode of a 2010 Antiques Roadshow with a GIANT autograph and letter from Joan included in a batch being evaluated? Ms. Crawford might be upset to learn that her "joan hancock" is not as valuable as it ought to be since she was so incredibly diligent about writing and signing letters to her many fans. Not that you are interested in selling, but I think that more of us would pay more for one!
They had no idea the value. Ack!!! :roll:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Which version of Possessed do you prefer? The 1931 pre-code one or the 1947 psychological drama? While both have completely different plots and equally powerful feelings are evoked while watching them, I have a soft spot for the heat generated by Crawford and Gable in the '31 movie, especially in this scene in front of the dressing table and the final clinch in the rain. Director Clarence Brown knew how to generate longing and desire on screen (though it didn't hurt that he had real life lovers to work with in some instances, did it?).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

the tawdry Flamingo Road

Tawdry, but delightful! Put this seedy soap opera alongside QUEEN BEE and I'm a happy fan. I had to learn to like Joan. Not my type, physically. Some of her characters are less than appealing. But she made such good choices. Time and again, she found fascinating projects. RAIN? The last word in movie star!