Another Site for Hard to Find Movies on DVD-R

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I would email Brad Lang, then, if I were you. He responds very quickly.

I figured most of you already know about this one, but Bob's Movies has hundreds of movies that were never released on vhs or dvd. They are pricey, though, at $20 each and the dvd-r's are definitely "no frills", but if there is a movie you have to have and think it will not see a dvd release any time soon, it's a good resource. I've never had a problem and though the picture quality is video-from-TV transfer, it's better than nothing. I've ordered about four or five titles that were available nowhere else. Here's the info:

Prices for COPIES of my movies:
1 Movie= $20.00
2 Movies = $35.00
3 Movies = $50.00
4 Movies = $65.00
These prices include shipping in the U.S. additional postage applies for international orders.

Please email me if interested.

IF you email me your address I will send these out once paymen is recieved.

You can send payment to me at:
Spring Cassidy
PO Box 265
Irwin, PA 15642

I accept Cash, Check or prefer Postal Money Order.

I will NOT accept PAYPAL.

Thank you,
Spring

for this and 30,000 other movies check out my website
www.bpm123.net
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Those are some pretty steep prices unless you buy multiple films. $20 is reasonable if the film is in good shape and is from good sources (like Sunrise Silents or Vintage Film Buff provides). But $20 for a film videoed from TV is very high.

At least IMO.

It would have to be something VERY tradeable for me to fork over that kind of money.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Well, I emailed Spring to see if he got my MO--nothing yet.
Moraldo Rubini

Perry Mason

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

pktrekgirl wrote:Those are some pretty steep prices unless you buy multiple films. $20 is reasonable if the film is in good shape and is from good sources (like Sunrise Silents or Vintage Film Buff provides). But $20 for a film videoed from TV is very high.
The prices are high, if these are "pirated" materials. I don't understand how they get around the legality of selling these disks. Unless the movie is in the public domain, aren't they breaking copyright laws by copying and selling these DVDs?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: Perry Mason

Post by SSO Admins »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:The prices are high, if these are "pirated" materials. I don't understand how they get around the legality of selling these disks. Unless the movie is in the public domain, aren't they breaking copyright laws by copying and selling these DVDs?
There's a thread on alt.movies.silent from back in the late 90s or early 2000s which is where my personal trading policy was born. If I have it and I'm inclined, I'll send it to you, no trade and no charge for either media or postage.

In the thread in question, someone in an area where TCM wasn't available was asking for some sunday silents, and the ooard regulars went ballistic over illegal movie trading. The whole thing was pretty funny.

Yes, they are breaking copyright laws. I don't think they care, frankly. I don't really have a personal problem with it as long as the movies aren't commerically available, although I think doing it for anything over and above what it costs you is pretty skeezy.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ I am becoming more and more surprised by the number of people who sell films online, even on boards such as this.

I have a film list of about 3,500+ films, and on a couple of occasions I have asked someone if they would like to trade with me for something I know they have, and they have replied back that they only sell films - they do not trade.

They don't even want to LOOK at my film list - they only want to make money.

I mean surely, in 3,500+ films they could find SOMETHING they like or want. :roll:

Anyway, I never do business with such people. If you made a trade and the film you get is not great quality, at least you are only out the postage and the cost of one DVD-R. Whereas when you fork over $20 for a film, you expect something more. And rarely do you get it from these cottage industry guys. Instead, when you complain they tell you that the film they sent is 'the best available copy' and you should be doggone happy to have it.

After which, I eventually discover a better copy through the regular course of my trading. :roll:

That said, I think someone out there in movieland might be starting to crack down. I don't know what happened to FORGOTTEN FILMS for sure...but he shut down his operations and left only a note on his website about how he will never under any circumstances sell anything of Warner Brothers ever again.

Makes me wonder if he didn't get nailed by someone out there.

Oddly, the only film he has for sale on his site, however, is the commercial release of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBINHOOD - a Warner Brothers film. :lol:

Not sure if it is really for sale though...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I wondered about the legality of selling those films, too, but in regard to the titles I ordered I searched hi and low and couldn't find them anywhere else. I don't have anything to trade with since I still don't have a dvd-recorder, therefor that site was my only option. If they found The Picasso Summer or some other super rare movie I'd order from them again, but only for something that hard to find.

I can't wait to get my dvd recording act together so I can begin trading with collectors! :P
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Guess what came today?

pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:I wondered about the legality of selling those films, too, but in regard to the titles I ordered I searched hi and low and couldn't find them anywhere else. I don't have anything to trade with since I still don't have a dvd-recorder, therefor that site was my only option. If they found The Picasso Summer or some other super rare movie I'd order from them again, but only for something that hard to find.

I can't wait to get my dvd recording act together so I can begin trading with collectors! :P
Oh...I hope you didn't misunderstand. I don't blame anyone who purchases such a film. I know how hard it is to find hard-to-find stuff, and if one doesn't have access to a DVD burner or any other way to copy films, then it is, of course, impossible to trade. And therefore, you have no choice but to buy.

However, I was really speaking more for myself. I have a DVD burner on my computer and a DVD recorder in my living room. So as a result, I have less reason to buy...and more ability to trade.

It is just discouraging when people don't even want to look at a film list, however - they ONLY want to sell stuff. And often for alot of money. And of course what makes it worse is that these folks very often don't even have rights to sell such films at all - I mean, not everything out there is PD. And so it is one thing to trade...but quite another to make money off of a film that is not even yours to sell - especially when you are not even TRYING to trade as a hobbiest, but are clearly 'in business'.

I have heard that Warner Brothers is clamping down, however. Someone at WB has been looking at websites, and my understanding is that a couple of folks have received threats of a lawsuit.

Not surprising given what is out there.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I personally don't try to buy a film if I think it will be released or shown on TCM, but there are some films that they are not able to get and studios will not release for some reason.

Naked Alibi and Make Way for Tomorrow are films I have wanted for years. I am also glad Killer of Sheep will finally be released next year as well.

I am also dying for a better copy of Three Strangers and Day of the Outlaw as the last time TCM showed these was over 4 years ago. They did show them, so I will hang on and wait for a reshowing as well as trying to get them to show Roughshod.

There are so many films that are just impossible to get a hold of or see unless someone has a copy. Sometimes people deliberately try and squelch films as was the case with a Rolling Stones documentary with a name that might be inappropriate to use here.

The Stones hated it because it showed their life as it was--boring and unglamourus. It's a great film but the the Stones put a clause in the contract of the film that it could only be shown a certain number of times a year and that the director of the film had to attend each of those showings!

Why are Ingrid Bergman's 2 greatest films Europa 51 (a Janus film no less) and Voyage to Italy unavailible here? Voyage can be bought as an R2 disc, but the quality is not great and needs a remaster. Europa can only be seen on TCM.

There is a big difference between buying an OOP film and pirating films that are availible to the public. There are lots of people who would prefer to plunk down cash for a nice cleaned up remaster, but are ignored by the studios who either don't realize they have the film or would rather get SawIII out there for the kiddies.

All this trading and buying OOP stuff would stop if they would wake up and realize there is a market of people here ready to spend money on a product they are too lazy to produce.
Moraldo Rubini

Singin' the Blues

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I've seen Robert Frank's [unnamed in the Oasis] documentary on The Rolling Stones. While I understand it's important that we see these holy grails ourselves, I'd advise lowered expectations for this one. A seemingly endless film, it surely would make a fine cure for insomnia.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi PK---no worries! I really didn't misunderstand you and I totally understand where you were coming from. It seems absurd no one who cares about collecting these movies would refuse to even look at your catalogue. :shock: Like you say, they are more interested in making $$$ than anything else.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Did you order Naked Alibi from Brad Lang, Mr. Arkadin? If so, what was the quality of the print like?

BTW, I have never heard of that movie but it sounds like a goodie!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

pktrekgirl:

I know you have at times posted films you are want. Might you start a thread of what you need? I remember you posted about "The Furies" and I remember seeing it but it's not one I taped.

This way we can keep an eye out for you.

Just a thought.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

MissGoddess wrote:Did you order Naked Alibi from Brad Lang, Mr. Arkadin? If so, what was the quality of the print like?

BTW, I have never heard of that movie but it sounds like a goodie!
It's taken off a VHS tape I think. Quality looks OK, but there are tracking errors at the bottom of the screen (about an 1/8" inch of the picture--not much). It's definitely watchable though. I got Make Way for Tomorrow as well. 8)

If Brad goes by the name of Spring then yes, I ordered from him.