SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
jimimac71

Re: SPORTS

Post by jimimac71 »

Okay you sports nuts, tonight (9/9) there is no network television news.
My TV comes from San Francisco and every broadcast channel has sports and no news until 8 PM.
This is becoming a Saturday night norm, but until now, at least one channel had news.
Yup, this needs to be a crime and severely punishable by the FCC.
laffite

Post by laffite »

BENGALS MAKE A BAD BAD BAD CALL.
Bengals probably a heavy fave going in is doing nothing and trail the Browns, 16-3. With NINE minutes left in game they have a fourth and four on their own 40. I guess out of frustration they go for the first down. It doesn't work and Browns inherit great field position and go in for a touchdown, icing the game. I reject the usual ballyhoo that says, well if the Bengals had succeeded on the fourth down play they would be vindicated. Rubbish! It may have worked but it would still be a abominable decision. It was a bad percentage call especially under the circumstances. The Bengals did not need to do this because by NFL standards they were still in game trailing by 13 with nine minutes. That is only a two-score game!! If you know the NFL then you know that is plenty of time to make up that deficit. Oh, says a naysayer, well they were not doing anything anyway, might as well go for first down. If the score was 24-3 instead of 16-3, perhaps ... but only 13 points behind, NO! An asinine call. If I owned the team I would issue a stern warning to the coach or whatever imbecile, you do something like that again, you are out?

Disclosure : I am not a Bengal fan
"Edith"
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

laffite wrote: September 10th, 2023, 3:24 pm BENGALS MAKE A BAD BAD BAD CALL.
Bengals probably a heavy fave going in is doing nothing and trail the Browns, 16-3. With NINE minutes left in game they have a fourth and four on their own 40. I guess out of frustration they go for the first down. It doesn't work and Browns inherit great field position and go in for a touchdown, icing the game. I reject the usual ballyhoo that says, well if the Bengals had succeeded on the fourth down play they would be vindicated. Rubbish! It may have worked but it would still be a abominable decision. It was a bad percentage call especially under the circumstances. The Bengals did not need to do this because by NFL standards they were still in game trailing by 13 with nine minutes. That is only a two-score game!! If you know the NFL then you know that is plenty of time to make up that deficit. Oh, says a naysayer, well they were not doing anything anyway, might as well go for first down. If the score was 24-3 instead of 16-3, perhaps ... but only 13 points behind, NO! An asinine call. If I owned the team I would issue a stern warning to the coach or whatever imbecile, you do something like that again, you are out?

The Bengals offensive was playing poorly all game. Therefore, it wouldn't have mattered what call the coach made on the 4th down. Even if the Bengals would have scored, they would still be down by 6 points and it was highly likely that the Browns would have at least kicked another field goal, thus putting the Bengals behind by two scores.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:15 pm

The Bengals offensive was playing poorly all game. Therefore, it wouldn't have mattered what call the coach made on the 4th down. Even if the Bengals would have scored, they would still be down by 6 points and it was highly likely that the Browns would have at least kicked another field goal, thus putting the Bengals behind by two scores.
You make a lot assumptions, James. For instance, how is it "highly likely" that the Browns would kick another field goal. How do you know that? That's like saying that if the Bengals punted it maybe the Bengals might have fumbled. You just make up your own game. The joy of the game is that outcomes are not knowable. And that's why good fundamental football is the way to go, it increases chances of winning. By this standard, Cincinnati made an inherently unsound decision. Your analysis is careless and possibly downright ignorant. Don't mean to jump on you like this, James, but It sounds like you don't know the game that well.
"Edith"
laffite

Post by laffite »

The New York Giants are playing the most dismal game. They trail 26-0 with half the second quarter to go. They have a punt blocked and returned for a TD. They have had a pass intercepted for a TD. And besides that they look terrible. I suggest the Giants resign the rest of their games for the supreme benefit of fans everywhere especially those in New York.

UPDATE : The Giants just tried a short field goal to get on the board before the half. They missed it.
"Edith"
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:52 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:15 pm

You make a lot assumptions, James. For instance, how is it "highly likely" that the Browns would kick another field goal. How do you know that? That's like saying that if the Bengals punted it maybe the Bengals might have fumbled. You just make up your own game. The joy of the game is that outcomes are not knowable. And that's why good fundamental football is the way to go, it increases chances of winning. By this standard, Cincinnati made an inherently unsound decision. Your analysis is careless and possibly downright ignorant. Don't mean to jump on you like this, James, but It sounds like you don't know the game that well.
I'm not making any more assumptions than you are. The Bengals clearly were not making up their own game; I.e. in control of their destiny in this game. They were playing like crap and the coach and QB knew this. So with 9 minutes to go, why not take a chance to see if they could turn it around. Thus I don't agree with you that it was a bad move. It was a last ditch effort that failed. End of story.
laffite

Post by laffite »

End of story is right, especially for the Bengals. I have a name for that kind of strategy. The Kamikaze Factor. If you don't think there is a chance to win (when there is), get it all over with and do something stupid. Yeah, take a chance, percentage wise you will lose quicker and sacrifice any chance to win.

Seriously, real coaches like Andy Reid or Bill Belichick wouldn't ever consider such a move. It's the newbie coaches and newbie strategies that are coming in now, eschewing the wisdom of yesteryear in favor of a cockamamie go for it mentality. The NFL is rapidly becoming an out-of-control bush league.
"Edith"
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:00 pm End of story is right, especially for the Bengals. I have a name for that kind of strategy. The Kamikaze Factor. If you don't think there is a chance to win (when there is), get it all over with and do something stupid. Yeah, take a chance, percentage wise you will lose quicker and sacrifice any chance to win.

Seriously, real coaches like Andy Reid or Bill Belichick wouldn't ever consider such a move. It's the newbie coaches and newbie strategies that are coming in now, eschewing the wisdom of yesteryear in favor of a cockamamie go for it mentality. The NFL is rapidly becoming an out-of-control bush league.
Take this up with Zac Taylor. It is him that you are denigrating, calling stupid, and implying isn't a real coach. All I did was say that I understood why Taylor made the choice he made and that it wasn't as out-there as you keep implying. Oh, and here are some facts about Taylor. I guess you believe you know more about being a coach and making decision than he.

Zachary William Taylor[1] (born May 10, 1983) is an American football coach who is the head coach for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League (NFL). Beginning his NFL career as an offensive assistant, he was the quarterbacks coach for the Los Angeles Rams when they made a Super Bowl appearance in Super Bowl LIII. Taylor was named Cincinnati's head coach the following season in 2019, where he went 6–25–1 in his first two years. In 2021, he led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en route to an appearance in Super Bowl LVI. He followed this up with 12 wins and a trip to the Conference championship game in 2022. In his time with the Bengals, Taylor has won 5 postseason games, the same amount won by the team in their entire history prior to hiring him as their head coach.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:26 pm
laffite wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:00 pm End of story is right, especially for the Bengals. I have a name for that kind of strategy. The Kamikaze Factor. If you don't think there is a chance to win (when there is), get it all over with and do something stupid. Yeah, take a chance, percentage wise you will lose quicker and sacrifice any chance to win.

Take this up with Zac Taylor. It is him that you are denigrating, calling stupid, and implying isn't a real coach. All I did was say that I understood why Taylor made the choice he made and that it wasn't as out-there as you keep implying. Oh, and here are some facts about Taylor. I guess you believe you know more about being a coach and making decision than he.

Zachary William Taylor[1] (born May 10, 1983) is an American football coach who is the head coach for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League (NFL). Beginning his NFL career as an offensive assistant, he was the quarterbacks coach for the Los Angeles Rams when they made a Super Bowl appearance in Super Bowl LIII. Taylor was named Cincinnati's head coach the following season in 2019, where he went 6–25–1 in his first two years. In 2021, he led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en route to an appearance in Super Bowl LVI. He followed this up with 12 wins and a trip to the Conference championship game in 2022. In his time with the Bengals, Taylor has won 5 postseason games, the same amount won by the team in their entire history prior to hiring him as their head coach.
The he should have know better. Maybe he is having an onset of dementia.
"Edith"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Say! Was that one hell of a Monday Night Football game this evening?!!!

(...once Rodgers went down, I wouldn't have given the Jets a chance in hell to win it)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: September 11th, 2023, 10:54 pm Say! Was that one hell of a Monday Night Football game this evening?!!!

(...once Rodgers went down, I wouldn't have given the Jets a chance in hell to win it)
The Jets were going to put Rogers on waivers after believing that they could win without him. But after learning that they got lucky on that missed call that would have prevented the winning touchdown they decided they'd better keep him.. And they cancelled the call to Joe Namath. They were going to offer him a contract thinking that even at his age he could do better than the three tortuously miserable snaps that Rogers succumbed to. I think his ankle is just fine, he just needed a siesta. And woe to Buffalo. Well, at least they can say they got cheated. :P
"Edith"
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I find the the spin on Rogers sort of fascinating. All the talking heads, who last year seemed to talk down at Rogers, this year he is the greatest QB ever born and NY can’t possibly live without him. How could they, he is so great and knows everything there is to know about football, life, and personal hygiene.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

My guess is the talking heads have an itch for gambling. The money goes where it goes then the predictions and talk come in later .
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Thompson wrote: September 12th, 2023, 3:31 am I find the the spin on Rogers sort of fascinating. All the talking heads, who last year seemed to talk down at Rogers, this year he is the greatest QB ever born and NY can’t possibly live without him. How could they, he is so great and knows everything there is to know about football, life, and personal hygiene.
Greatest thing since sliced Tom Brady..
jamesjazzguitar

txfilmfan wrote: September 12th, 2023, 8:28 am
Thompson wrote: September 12th, 2023, 3:31 am I find the the spin on Rogers sort of fascinating. All the talking heads, who last year seemed to talk down at Rogers, this year he is the greatest QB ever born and NY can’t possibly live without him. How could they, he is so great and knows everything there is to know about football, life, and personal hygiene.
Greatest thing since sliced Tom Brady..
Well said and very funny! Yea, what happened looks like it was scripted for a made for T.V. movie. As the NBA figured out in the late 70s with Magic and Bird, team sports are still mostly a star player driven sales pitch. While players like Rogers are just one of over hundreds, the media will end up giving him 20% of the coverage.