SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: February 8th, 2024, 10:29 pm
"To win is everything; to place is nothing.": Your on-court motto?
Nah, not really, NS. Ya see, I'm not one of those "win at all costs" kind'a guys. Never have been, in fact. I've always been more the kind'a guy who's prized playing a well-played match by all involved, than I have the idea of who wins and who loses. Although, it does always feel better to win a well-played-by-all set and/or match, of course.

Now, over the years I have played with people like that. I've noticed they're prone to resort to making questionable line calls and always in their favor.

(...and when they do that, I lose respect for them...both as a player and as a person)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Winning at all costs reminds me of Tonya Harding.
On Sunday, someone will not win the Superbowl.
Companies will pay 7 million bucks for a 30 second spot.
Going to the game costs something like $6500 as a starting price.
For the record, I have no clue who Usher is but have seen Reba in concert.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jimimac71 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:52 am Winning at all costs reminds me of Tonya Harding.
I attended Super Bowl I and it cost me $20. True.

My watering hole of choice got group tickets.

The seats were in the end zone. When an offense was playing near my end zone they were pretty close. The other end zone was at the turnstile end (of the Los Angeles Colosseum) where there were no seats.
Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

laffite wrote: February 9th, 2024, 4:40 pm
jimimac71 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:52 am Winning at all costs reminds me of Tonya Harding.
I attended Super Bowl I and it cost me $20. True.

My watering hole of choice got group tickets.

The seats were in the end zone. When an offense was playing near my end zone they were pretty close. The other end zone was at the turnstile end (of the Los Angeles Colosseum) where there were no seats.
So if someone made a terrible throw, you may have caught a "fowl ball." That makes you at least 21+57, right? :smiley_cheers:
laffite

Post by laffite »

In two months, I will be 21+59.
:smiley_oneglass:
Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Wait ... How does this thing work?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

If you're referring to the east end of the L.A. Coliseum here laffite, the one where the column for the Olympic flame is located, that is known as the "peristyle" end of the stadium, not the "turnstile" end.

The following is a shot of the L.A. Coliseum during Super Bowl I...

(...must have been pretty cool to have attended the inaugural game...I remember watching it on TV at my childhood home at the time and which was located about twelve miles and almost due south from the event)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: February 9th, 2024, 8:57 pm
If you're referring to the east end of the L.A. Coliseum here laffite, the one where the column for the Olympic flame is located, that is known as the "peristyle" end of the stadium, not the "turnstile" end.

(...must have been pretty cool to have attended the inaugural game...I remember watching it on TV at my childhood home at the time and which was located about twelve miles and almost due south from the event)

Okay, good on the correction. Your image shows where I was sitting. The gridiron was situated quite, quite to the one end, almost right up to the bleachers. That is evident from your photo. If I have it right, I was sitting above the helmet of the KC defender (so to speak).

This is what I saw from my seat, the other end zone area. I'm thinking I might be wrong But I do not remember any fans on the other end, just like the picture shows in the stock photo. The crown total was just under 62,000. Capacity today is 77,000 (ca.) now, but back then when the Dodgers were playing in the coliseum they had record crowds of 92,000 at times. But that was about five years before and I don't know if there were changes made. So I am thinking that it is entirely plausible that those seats were empty. As I alluded before, anyone sitting out there wouldn't be able to see much as, also aforementioned, the actual gridiron had been fashioned to en exaggerated extent way to my end zone where I was sitting. And we know that the first Super Bowl had no mystique. In fact I believe that it wasn't even billed as Super Bowl, and if I remember right, Curt Gowdy came up with the term haphazardly not long before the game. I have never been to the Coliseum except for that day, so i don't know anything about it. East, West, peristyle, whatever. I do remember watching the Ram games in the 50s on television once in a while. (My and my big brother were fans, Crazy legs Hirsch, Tank Younger, Jon Arnett, Bob Waterfield, Tom Fears and Ben Agarjanian (sp?). the FG kicker, ... God, all those guys are forgotten. I pulled these names out of the hat, I did not look them up. I guess my memory is not too bad. Don't ask me what I did last Tuesday, though. Thanks, Dargo ... for the corrections, the photo, and taking an interest.
Mona
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

laffite wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:33 pm

Okay, good on the correction. Your image shows where I was sitting. The gridiron was situated quite, quite to the one end, almost right up to the bleachers. That is evident from your photo. If I have it right, I was sitting above the helmet of the KC defender (so to speak).

This is what I saw from my seat, the other end zone area. I'm thinking I might be wrong But I do not remember any fans on the other end, just like the picture shows in the stock photo. The crown total was just under 62,000. Capacity today is 77,000 (ca.) now, but back then when the Dodgers were playing in the coliseum they had record crowds of 92,000 at times. But that was about five years before and I don't know if there were changes made. So I am thinking that it is entirely plausible that those seats were empty. As I alluded before, anyone sitting out there wouldn't be able to see much as, also aforementioned, the actual gridiron had been fashioned to en exaggerated extent way to my end zone where I was sitting. And we know that the first Super Bowl had no mystique. In fact I believe that it wasn't even billed as Super Bowl, and if I remember right, Curt Gowdy came up with the term haphazardly not long before the game. I have never been to the Coliseum except for that day, so i don't know anything about it. East, West, peristyle, whatever. I do remember watching the Ram games in the 50s on television once in a while. (My and my big brother were fans, Crazy legs Hirsch, Tank Younger, Jon Arnett, Bob Waterfield, Tom Fears and Ben Agarjanian (sp?). the FG kicker, ... God, all those guys are forgotten. I pulled these names out of the hat, I did not look them up. I guess my memory is not too bad. Don't ask me what I did last Tuesday, though. Thanks, Dargo ... for the corrections, the photo, and taking an interest.
Jim Grant's dominant time in the PCL, the first Super Bowl, etc.: lots of history there, laffite, lots of history.
The "Super Bowl" dub is said to have been coined by the chief architect of the AFL, Lamar Hunt, who watched his kids bouncing the following:

laffite

Post by laffite »

Purdy, purdy, purdy, purdy good.

But not good enough.

Look out, Tom.

Mahomes is only four behind you. And he's young!
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Great game, and just as I had predicted to a friend, with the stumbles of one team's Special Team play (the Niners' in this case) having a major effect upon the game's final score.

(...to recap in this regard: the Niners failing to secure that one punt return which immediately lead to that KC touchdown, and their early in the game blocked extra-point attempt which then led to KC only having to kick that last second field goal in regulation in order to send the game into OT)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Bet I could get a whole can of tennis balls in Taylor’s yapper.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: February 12th, 2024, 3:34 pm Great game, and just as I had predicted to a friend, with the stumbles of one team's Special Team play (the Niners' in this case) having a major effect upon the game's final score.

(...to recap in this regard: the Niners failing to secure that one punt return which immediately lead to that KC touchdown, and their early in the game blocked extra-point attempt which then led to KC only having to kick that last second field goal in regulation in order to send the game into OT)
That extra point glitch was such a shame, Dargo: The 49ers did an admirable job of mostly containing the Chiefs until Patrick Mahomes caught fire on the last series of downs.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... d0e6&ei=15

Recalls Olympic marathon great Abebe Bikila's crippling crash which hastened his premature death.