A Florida Enchantment (1914)

EP Millstone

A Florida Enchantment (1914)

Post by EP Millstone »

A Florida Enchantment is notable for several reasons:
  • It is an early (1914) American movie in which homosexuality, cross-dressing, and "gender-bending" (or in the modern vernacular "gender fluidity") are key elements -- indeed the main themes -- in the plot.
  • It was directed by Sidney Drew (uncle of Lionel, Ethel, and John Barrymore and ancestor of John Drew and Drew Barrymore) who also starred in this Vitagraph comedy.
  • The scenario was co-authored by Marguerite Bertsch, a "pioneer" among women filmmakers.
  • After the female protagonist changes her sex, she adopts the name "Lawrence Talbot" -- which 27 years later was the human identify of another shape-shifter: "The Wolfman."
The Art and Culture of Movies Essay

Marguerite Bertsch

Last edited by EP Millstone on November 29th, 2022, 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LostHorizons

Re: A Florida Encantment (1914)

Post by LostHorizons »

It is a bit ironic that they chose Florida as the location for this film because nowadays Florida (or more specifically Miami) is known for being a very pro-LGBT place.
LostHorizons

Re: A Florida Encantment (1914)

Post by LostHorizons »

The French film "Meet Me at the Fountain" is another early gender bending movie in a similar vein to this one but it's from France. A man seeks a wife and you'll never guess who he chooses at the end.
EP Millstone

Re: A Florida Enchantment (1914)

Post by EP Millstone »

LostHorizons wrote: November 7th, 2022, 2:23 pm The French film "Meet Me at the Fountain" is another early gender bending movie in a similar vein to this one but it's from France. A man seeks a wife and you'll never guess who he chooses at the end.
Very amusing! I wonder if Buster Keaton saw Meet Me at the Fountain and was inspired to make Seven Chances.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I haven't seen it, but I see that it was filmed in St. Augustine, which is about 45 minutes from where I am. The local elementary schools always take field trips there to the old Spanish forts.

About 15 minutes north of St. Augustine is Jacksonville, FL, where I was born. It was one of the earliest film centers. Here's a blog post about it, for anyone interested:

https://www.visitjacksonville.com/blog/ ... hollywood/
Watching until the end.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: November 7th, 2022, 6:48 pm I haven't seen it, but I see that it was filmed in St. Augustine, which is about 45 minutes from where I am. The local elementary schools always take field trips there to the old Spanish forts.

About 15 minutes north of St. Augustine is Jacksonville, FL, where I was born. It was one of the earliest film centers. Here's a blog post about it, for anyone interested:

https://www.visitjacksonville.com/blog/ ... hollywood/
That’s a very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I actually did watch “The Flying Ace” the last time it was on TCM and wasn’t really thrilled with it. Something I noticed is that the lighter skinned African-Americans are the protagonists and the darker ones are all the bad guys. I feel that was probably intentional on Mr. Norman’s part but also he had an audience he had to cater to that wasn’t really foreword thinking in many regards.