What Movie Related Book Have You Read Lately?

Read any good books lately?
TikiSoo

Re: What Movie Related Book Have You Read Lately?

Post by TikiSoo »

speedracer5 wrote: July 31st, 2023, 12:58 pm (Veronica Lake) She is so blasé and nonchalant about the fact that she didn't have a relationship with her children, I can honestly see why none of them claimed her cremains upon her death in 1973.

Now I am reading Lana Turner's autobiography. If only Lana had devoted as much time to picking a decent husband as she did to being a movie star.
I read Lake's book a long time ago & was left just as cold.
Nowadays celebrity autobiographies will not mention their children, their names/ages etc in attempt to keep their info somewhat private.
Although I bet every one of their kids has an internet account with pictures & names mentioned.

Agree about Lana Turner impressions too. Just wait until you get to the bad blood (literally) between her husband & daughter!
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

speedracer5 wrote: July 31st, 2023, 12:58 pm I finished Veronica Lake's book a while ago.
I liked reading about her feud with Fredric March. I could see the two of them not getting along. Lol.

I recently watched I Married A Witch.

I enjoy the movie a lot, but I can't help but think about how Veronica Lake and Fredric March couldn't stand each other when I watch it.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm
speedracer5 wrote: July 31st, 2023, 12:58 pm I finished Veronica Lake's book a while ago.
I liked reading about her feud with Fredric March. I could see the two of them not getting along. Lol.

I enjoy the movie a lot, but I can't help but think about how Veronica Lake and Fredric March couldn't stand each other when I watch it.
I love that movie. My favorite character is the drunken grandpa warlock. You can definitely see the influence of that character on the mother in Bewitched (which the entire show is a remake of this movie).
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LostHorizons wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 1:54 pm

I love that movie. My favorite character is the drunken grandpa warlock. You can definitely see the influence of that character on the mother in Bewitched (which the entire show is a remake of this movie).
I'm a big fan of I Married A witch. Lake and March have good on-screen chemistry regardless of how each might have felt about each other, off screen.

Cecil Kellaway was a fine supporting actor, and this is one of his best roles. We also get to see a young Susan Hayward. This is the type of role Hayward would be assigned in a lot of future films. That of the not so nice woman.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Yes. In her book she said that he'd made some disparaging remarks about her ability, though I also read (maybe in her book???) that she claimed he propositioned her and she turned him down and he was angry. I can believe that he criticized her more than I see him propositioning her; but who knows. Him being mad at her for not taking him up on the offer is believable, since it is still true today that some men (and women) can't handle rejection. However, I more believe him criticizing her ability because he does strike me as the type to be pompous and pretentious. Apparently during scenes where they were only shown from the waist up, she kneed him in the groin as payback. In another scene where he has to carry her, she loaded her costume with weights. She liked playing pranks on him throughout filming which definitely didn't endear her to him. In that case, I could see being annoyed with her as that is highly unprofessional behavior. Fredric March does not strike me as the jovial, fun loving type.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

TikiSoo wrote: August 1st, 2023, 6:08 am
speedracer5 wrote: July 31st, 2023, 12:58 pm (Veronica Lake) She is so blasé and nonchalant about the fact that she didn't have a relationship with her children, I can honestly see why none of them claimed her cremains upon her death in 1973.

Now I am reading Lana Turner's autobiography. If only Lana had devoted as much time to picking a decent husband as she did to being a movie star.
I read Lake's book a long time ago & was left just as cold.
Nowadays celebrity autobiographies will not mention their children, their names/ages etc in attempt to keep their info somewhat private.
Although I bet every one of their kids has an internet account with pictures & names mentioned.

Agree about Lana Turner impressions too. Just wait until you get to the bad blood (literally) between her husband & daughter!
Yes. Veronica didn't seem like a happy person and much of her unhappiness was her own doing, so it was hard to feel sorry for her. She struck me as a bit immature at times and seemed to struggle with responsibility. I have to wonder if she would have been better off had she not become "Veronica Lake," but then I guess we would be deprived of some of the wonderful performances she gave. While she is not the best actress in the world, she has screen presence, which sometimes is more than enough.

I just finished reading about Lana's heartbreaking affair with Tyrone Power. He did her dirty leading her on the way he did. She seemed genuinely crushed by him marrying Linda Christian while they were (supposedly) together. She had just aborted their baby (something she felt obligated to do to protect Tyrone's career, since he was not yet divorced from Annabella; but she didn't want to do it. She wanted the baby very much) and finds out that he's with another woman. That was very sad and I was angry at Tyrone on her behalf. She wrote her memoir in 1982, some 25 years after Tyrone's death, and she still seemed to be longing for him; but emotionally and physically she cut herself off from him as soon as he walked out the door after telling her about Christian--back in 1947.

I also felt terrible for Lana that besides her mother and a few select people around her, she seemed to struggle with having friends, because she never knew if they were legitimate friends or were just using her. She discusses a woman with whom she traveled to South America, thinking that she and her were good friends. Lana would learn after the trip that her friend was selling information about Lana to newspapers and magazines.

Celebrities are probably smart to not mention their kids. Both Joan Crawford and Bette Davis' children exploited their names and respective mothers in an attempt to make a few bucks. There's also the whole stigma about achieving success due to nepotism, e.g., the "nepo baby" label, that maybe the parents are trying to shield their children from that. But some "nepo babies" e.g., Jane Fonda, Peter Fonda, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Douglas... all had the talent to stand on their own. They didn't need their famous fathers to pull strings for them; but there's no doubt that their family connections helped them. Lana discusses Cheryl by name and discussed her horrible birth experience and how Cheryl had to get a full-body blood transfusion because Lana's genetic blood disorder was deadly. I'm about 10 years away from the Johnny Stompanato drama.

I'd read previously that John Garfield and Lana had an affair during "The Postman Always Rings Twice," but Lana didn't mention it. All she said was that she was looking forward to working with Garfield and that he was a ladies man. She then said that he died in his bed and she wasn't surprised. That seemed to be a little catty, so I wonder what that was all about.

So far, I'm really loving the tone of Lana's book. She comes across as generally being happy, but does have some regrets and is introspective. Unlike Veronica, she is much more self-aware of how her mistakes caused the unhappiness in her life, and she even seems to be upset with herself that she keeps making the same mistake over and over. Lana seems like she'd be fun to have a glass of wine with and gossip about her movie star co-workers.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Bewitched was inspired by I Married A Witch and Bell, Book and, Candle.

In Bewitched though neither the man or the woman falls in love as the result of magic --- which was the case in I Married A Witch and (I think) Bell, Book and Candle.

In I Married A Witch,Veronica Lake's character was trying to put the love spell on Fredric March's character but ended up hexing herself!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 6:35 pm

In Bewitched though neither the man or the woman falls in love as the result of magic --- which was the case in I Married A Witch and (I think) Bell, Book and Candle.

In I Married A Witch,Veronica Lake's character was trying to put the love spell on Fredric March's character but ended up hexing herself!
The one major difference with Bewitched is that the witch doesn't lose her powers if she falls in love. Of course, the producers had to make this change since the major plot device of the show is when the witch has to use her powers (but only, when necessary, well,, based on what she tells Darrin).

Both movies end with the witch no longer having powers but feeling being is love is better (which is a very romantic concept).
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 6:59 pm

The one major difference with Bewitched is that the witch doesn't lose her powers if she falls in love. Of course, the producers had to make this change since the major plot device of the show is when the witch has to use her powers (but only, when necessary, well,, based on what she tells Darrin).

Both movies end with the witch no longer having powers but feeling being is love is better (which is a very romantic concept).
Did Veronica Lake's character lose her powers in I MARRIED A WITCH?
It's been awhile since I've seen it so I don't remember.
I remember at the end Fredric March and Veronica Lake are a married couple with children and are sitting in their living room with the Veronica Lake character knitting or something like that.
I also don't remember if she ever falls in love with Fredric March's character "for real" or if it's just the effect of the love potion.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 1:24 pm

I remember at the end Fredric March and Veronica Lake are a married couple with children and are sitting in their living room with the Veronica Lake character knitting or something like that.
I also don't remember if she ever falls in love with Fredric March's character "for real" or if it's just the effect of the love potion.
Lake’s character gives up her powers but their daughter runs in with a witch hat and broom and runs around making noises and the husband says something to the effect of “not again!” That’s a really cute movie.
markfp

Post by markfp »

I just finished reading Making Movies" by Director Sidney Lumet. Great look at various steps involved in making movies. While he started directing towards the end of the studio system the book is a fascinating look behind the scenes of movie making in the '60s and later from the director who gave us among other films 12 ANGRY MEN, SERPICO, NETWORK, and DOG DAY AFTERNOON.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

markfp wrote: August 5th, 2023, 9:09 pm I just finished reading Making Movies" by Director Sidney Lumet. Great look at various steps involved in making movies. While he started directing towards the end of the studio system the book is a fascinating look behind the scenes of movie making in the '60s and later from the director who gave us among other films 12 ANGRY MEN, SERPICO, NETWORK, and DOG DAY AFTERNOON.
Sidney Lumet is one of my favorite movie directors.
I haven't seen all of his movies, but there hasn't been one I have seen that I haven't enjoyed on some level, even if the subject matter was disturbing, as was the case with EQUUS.

My favorite movies of his (ones I have seen multiple times) are:
RUNNING ON EMPTY (probably my #1 favorite Lumet movie)
DOG DAY AFTERNOON
THE FUGITIVE KIND
MURDER ON THR ORIENT EXPRESS
12 ANGRY MEN
DEATHTRAP

Others I have seen and have enjoyed/admired:
NETWORK
THE VERDICT
THE MORNING AFTER
EQUUS
THE WIZ
LAST OF THE MOBILE HOT SHOTS (aka BLOOD KIN)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

LostHorizons wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 8:10 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 1:24 pm

Lake’s character gives up her powers but their daughter runs in with a witch hat and broom and runs around making noises and the husband says something to the effect of “not again!” That’s a really cute movie.
Thanks for the information. I didn't remember if Veronica Lake's character gave up her powers, but I did remember the part about the daughter running around with a broom at the end and Veronica Lake and Fredric March looking at each other with "Oh no!" expressions.
I also remember that Lake's character's warlock father was trapped in a liquor bottle that's seen at the end of the movie locked in a shelf over the fireplace.
I MAARRIED A WITCH is a really fun movie that I need to re-watch again.

The part about the daughter with the broom reminded me of the episode of BEWITCHED from the first season called "... And Something Makes Three" where Darrin thinks Samantha is pregnant (it was actually Louise Tate who was expecting) and he imagines what their children would be like. In that episode, Maureen McCormick (best known for her role as Marcia Brady on THE BRADY BUNCH) plays one of the witch daughters named "Little Endora." In Darrin's fantasy, Little Endora turns her brother Maurice into a plant for taking her candy and teasing her.
Maureen McCormick would later appear in the second season episode "Trick or Treat" where Samantha's mother Endora (played by Agnes Moorehead) takes the form of a trick-or-treating little girl on Halloween to put a hex on Darrin.
Samantha is pregnant in that episode and is wearing maternity clothes. She'd give birth to her daughter eleven episodes later in "... And Then There Were Three."

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 6th, 2023, 3:41 pm Image
Omigod that picture is so funny! Those expressions!
I didn't appreciate Dick York as a kid, wondered why such a pretty girl would be attracted to him. I know now-he's hilarious!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: August 6th, 2023, 5:46 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: August 6th, 2023, 3:41 pm Image
Omigod that picture is so funny! Those expressions!
I didn't appreciate Dick York as a kid, wondered why such a pretty girl would be attracted to him. I know now-he's hilarious!

The "Trick Or Treat" episode of BEWITCHED has become part of our annual Halloween viewing. This year we watched all five of the BEWITCHED Halloween episodes. We enjoy them all.

The sweetie's favorite Darrin reaction occurs in the pre-closing credits tag in the "Trick Or Treat" episode. It was a contender for a lap top PC screen saver: