TCM Premieres....

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

Re: TCM Premieres....

Post by cmovieviewer »

Here are the TCM premieres for March, as determined by the TCM schedules database.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.
- Cartoons are listed separately.

Feature Films

Mar 2 - Lincoln (2012)
Mar 5 - Platoon (1986)
Mar 17 - Far and Away (1992)
Mar 21 - The Fifth Day of Peace (1969)
Mar 22 - Brian's Song (1971)
Mar 22 - The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (1976)
Mar 23 - Buena Vista Social Club (1998)
Mar 27 - This Happy Feeling (1958)
Mar 28 - Goodbye Charlie (1964)
Mar 30 - The Passenger (1975)

Cartoons

Mar 16 - MGM: The First Swallow (1942)

For additional details, please refer to my TCM schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

THURS., 2-29

6:15
pm (ET)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
1h 34m | Comedy Fantasy

Gil Pender (Owen Wilson), a screenwriter, who is forced to confront the shortcomings of his relationship with his materialistic fiancée (Rachel McAdams) and their divergent goals, which become increasingly exaggerated as he travels back in time each night at midnight.....Gil, struggling to finish his debut novel about a man who works in a nostalgia shop, finds himself drawn to the artistic history of Paris, especially the Lost Generation of the 1920s.....Gil encounters a group of strange -- yet familiar -- revelers, who sweep him along, apparently back in time, for a night with some of the Jazz Age's icons of art and literature. The more time Gil spends with these cultural heroes of the past, the more dissatisfied he becomes with the present.....

Director
Woody Allen

Cast (TCM schedule gets this wrong, yet again) :roll:
Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates, Adrien Brody, Carla Bruni, Tom Hiddleston, Marion Cotillard, and Michael Sheen.

"The film opened to critical acclaim. In 2012, it won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay. It was nominated for three other Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director and Best Art Direction
...Richard Roeper, an American film critic, gave Midnight in Paris an "A"; referring to it as a "wonderful film" and "one of the best romantic comedies in recent years". He commented that the actors are uniformly brilliant and praised the film's use of witty one-liners.[30]
In The Huffington Post, Rob Kirkpatrick said the film represented a return to form for the director ("it's as if Woody has rediscovered Woody") and called Midnight in Paris "a surprising film that casts a spell over us and reminds us of the magical properties of cinema, and especially of Woody Allen's cinema."....

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_in_Paris
:smiley_clap:

(a few short ads to start) :(
was "mr6666" @ TCM
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

ziggy6708a wrote: February 28th, 2024, 5:33 pm THURS., 2-29

6:15
pm (ET)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
1h 34m | Comedy Fantasy

Gil Pender (Owen Wilson), a screenwriter, who is forced to confront the shortcomings of his relationship with his materialistic fiancée (Rachel McAdams) and their divergent goals, which become increasingly exaggerated as he travels back in time each night at midnight.....Gil, struggling to finish his debut novel about a man who works in a nostalgia shop, finds himself drawn to the artistic history of Paris, especially the Lost Generation of the 1920s.....Gil encounters a group of strange -- yet familiar -- revelers, who sweep him along, apparently back in time, for a night with some of the Jazz Age's icons of art and literature. The more time Gil spends with these cultural heroes of the past, the more dissatisfied he becomes with the present.....

Director
Woody Allen

Cast (TCM schedule gets this wrong, yet again) :roll:
Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates, Adrien Brody, Carla Bruni, Tom Hiddleston, Marion Cotillard, and Michael Sheen.

"The film opened to critical acclaim. In 2012, it won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay. It was nominated for three other Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director and Best Art Direction
...Richard Roeper, an American film critic, gave Midnight in Paris an "A"; referring to it as a "wonderful film" and "one of the best romantic comedies in recent years". He commented that the actors are uniformly brilliant and praised the film's use of witty one-liners.[30]
In The Huffington Post, Rob Kirkpatrick said the film represented a return to form for the director ("it's as if Woody has rediscovered Woody") and called Midnight in Paris "a surprising film that casts a spell over us and reminds us of the magical properties of cinema, and especially of Woody Allen's cinema."....

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_in_Paris
:smiley_clap:

(a few short ads to start) :(
Just bizarre. Their cast list is correct, but the schedule listing is obviously incomplete and in a weird order. Their schedule software just picks up the first few cast members listed in their detailed listing, but the detailed listing is complete. It's not alphabetical, and it's not in credit order (per AFI's database), so I don't know what order they use.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

For what it’s worth, I fix director and cast list issues (when I notice them) as well other items in the detailed TCM schedules included on my web site. The TCM online schedules are also prone to the occasional missing and duplicate entries with incorrect times that I try my best to rectify based on the information at hand. As another example, notice this Thursday evening at 8 PM ET the scheduled showing of The Quiet Man (1952) is currently missing in the online schedule. If you are seriously looking for accurate information about a particular movie, I would recommend always cross-checking the TCM online schedule against other sources if you can.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 27th, 2024, 1:13 pm Here are the TCM premieres for March, as determined by the TCM schedules database.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.
- Cartoons are listed separately.

Feature Films

Mar 2 - Lincoln (2012)
Mar 5 - Platoon (1986)
Mar 17 - Far and Away (1992)
Mar 21 - The Fifth Day of Peace (1969)
Mar 22 - Brian's Song (1971)
Mar 22 - The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (1976)
Mar 23 - Buena Vista Social Club (1998)
Mar 27 - This Happy Feeling (1958)
Mar 28 - Goodbye Charlie (1964)
Mar 30 - The Passenger (1975)

Cartoons

Mar 16 - MGM: The First Swallow (1942)

For additional details, please refer to my TCM schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

I'm pretty sure TCM has shown Goodbye Charlie before (not often).
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Hibi wrote: February 29th, 2024, 1:15 pm I'm pretty sure TCM has shown Goodbye Charlie before (not often).
Thanks for the notice. I double-checked my records and Goodbye Charlie is not present in the TCM schedules.
Later in March we should get some indication from TCM whether they think it is a premiere this time (or not).
Not definitive I know, but another data point. As a Fox-distributed film it would be rare on TCM in any case.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has marked Goodbye Charlie as a premiere in the Now Playing Newsletter that came out today.
Perhaps you saw it on another channel - HBO showed Goodbye Charlie a few times in 2011 and 2012, for example.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

SAT., 3-2

8:00
pm (ET)
Lincoln (2012)
2h 29m | Adaptation | TV-MA

As the American Civil War continues to rage, ...In an act of true national daring, Lincoln exerts enormous political will to end the Civil War, not merely by ending the battle but by fighting to pass the 13th Amendment to permanently abolish slavery.
The film focuses on Lincoln's efforts in January 1865 to abolish slavery and involuntary servitude by having the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution passed by the United States House of Representatives.

Director
Steven Spielberg
Cast
Daniel Day-lewis, Sally Field, David Strathairn, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, James Spader, Hal Holbrook, and Tommy Lee Jones in supporting roles.

"...The screenplay by Tony Kushner was loosely based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's 2005 biography Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln,...

acclaimed by critics, who lauded its acting (especially Day-Lewis's), Spielberg's direction, and its production values. In December 2012, it was nominated for seven Golden Globe Awards, including Best Motion Picture – Drama, Best Director for Spielberg, and winning Best Actor (Motion Picture – Drama) for Day-Lewis.
At the 85th Academy Awards, it was nominated for twelve Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director; it won for Best Production Design and Best Actor for Day-Lewis, his third in the category....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(film)

:smiley_cheers:

(great performance by DDL....just wanted to see MORE of it) :smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

ziggy6708a wrote: March 1st, 2024, 5:35 pm SAT., 3-2

8:00
pm (ET)
Lincoln (2012)
2h 29m | Adaptation | TV-MA

As the American Civil War continues to rage, ...In an act of true national daring, Lincoln exerts enormous political will to end the Civil War, not merely by ending the battle but by fighting to pass the 13th Amendment to permanently abolish slavery.
The film focuses on Lincoln's efforts in January 1865 to abolish slavery and involuntary servitude by having the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution passed by the United States House of Representatives.

Director
Steven Spielberg
Cast
Daniel Day-lewis, Sally Field, David Strathairn, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, James Spader, Hal Holbrook, and Tommy Lee Jones in supporting roles.

"...The screenplay by Tony Kushner was loosely based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's 2005 biography Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln,...

acclaimed by critics, who lauded its acting (especially Day-Lewis's), Spielberg's direction, and its production values. In December 2012, it was nominated for seven Golden Globe Awards, including Best Motion Picture – Drama, Best Director for Spielberg, and winning Best Actor (Motion Picture – Drama) for Day-Lewis.
At the 85th Academy Awards, it was nominated for twelve Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director; it won for Best Production Design and Best Actor for Day-Lewis, his third in the category....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(film)

:smiley_cheers:

(great performance by DDL....just wanted to see MORE of it) :smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:43 pm TCM has marked Goodbye Charlie as a premiere in the Now Playing Newsletter that came out today.
Perhaps you saw it on another channel - HBO showed Goodbye Charlie a few times in 2011 and 2012, for example.
No, I did not see it on another channel. (I did years ago on one of the 3 networks, but I'd seen it on since then).
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I know I've seen Goodbye Charlie a few times on tv. I think it's been shown on TCM also but it may have also been shown on the Fox movie channel. I've seen it shown either 2 or 3 times on tv in the last decade.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

KayFrancis wrote: March 4th, 2024, 12:09 pm I know I've seen Goodbye Charlie a few times on tv. I think it's been shown on TCM also but it may have also been shown on the Fox movie channel. I've seen it shown either 2 or 3 times on tv in the last decade.
Here are some places where Goodbye Charlie has been shown over the years:

AMC - 2001, 2006
FOX Movie Channel - 2002, 2007, 2018, 2019, 2024 (Mar. 17)
HBO and Cinemax - 2011, 2012
Movies Channel - 2017

Goodbye Charlie has never been listed as showing on TCM prior to this month.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Hibi and I both remember seeing it on TCM and as I wrote I know I've seen it on the Fox movie channel. We're both old so we could be having senior moments lol
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Speak for yourself! LOL. There have been other times I've disputed TCM premieres. They aren't infallible! Just because they say so, doesn't mean it's true.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Goodbye Charlie aired on an extremely frequent basis in the last few years on FXM (or at least it did, since the cable company dropped the channel entirely last year; perhaps the endless repeats of every film did it in). I don't know if it played on TCM before, although many Fox films appeared, if only once, on the channel between 2012 and 2015; it would be nice if they turned up more often....

I was surprised though to hear that it was airing as recently as 2012 on HBO; the family has been subscribed to them for seven years, and outside of a very small group (Journey to the Center of the Earth, Miracle on 34th Street, Some Like it Hot, The Flight of the Phoenix, West Side Story,and James Bond and Pink Panther titles), they rarely air anything before 1975 anymore.

Goodbye Charlie itself is an odd but interesting comedy, with a pretty daring turn from Debbie Reynolds and it also has a very early appearance from Ellen Burstyn (billed under another name). I'm pretty sure that it was Vincente Minnelli's first of only three films that he didn't do at MGM. Several decades later, Blake Edwards did an unofficial remake of it called Switch, starring Ellen Barkin. That version is much harder-edged, and some elements of it are very odd, but Barkin gives a wonderful performance in it. (It also has a hauntingly beautiful cover version of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" over its opening and closing credits)