Noir Alley

nakanosunplaza

Re: Noir Alley

Post by nakanosunplaza »

They could have put The Big Combo for Noir Alley in May or June, If they really need to save money they could re broadcast the same intro-outros with Eddie, there must be many b movies -crime thrillers available for cheap fees like The Stong Room he showed it at Noir City last month and I have seen it last year so many others.Like you I think we might be in trouble
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Can anyone here give me even an inkling of what Howard Hughes could've possibily ever found so intriguing about Faith Domergue?

Ya see, after watching her in 'Where Danger Lives' last night, a film I had watched once before years ago, I was reminded how average looking she was (uh-huh, even when all glammed-up like she was in some of the scenes), was not very photogenic and due to her facial features being somewhat oddly "askew" (ya might say), and that she lisped when she spoke just like Gloria Grahame and Doris Roberts.

And frankly, she wasn't much of an actress, either.

In other words, I couldn't buy for one minute the idea that Mitchum would instantly fall head-over-heels for her in this flick, as at least for me, she lacked for any amount of sex-appeal at all. And, with this being said here by a guy who has always found brunettes exceptionally sexy and attractive.

(...so, any ideas here, folks?)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: March 24th, 2024, 2:49 pm Can anyone here give me even an inkling of what Howard Hughes could've possibily ever found so intriguing about Faith Domergue?

Ya see, after watching her in 'Where Danger Lives' last night, a film I had watched once before years ago, I was reminded how average looking she was (uh-huh, even when all glammed-up like she was in some of the scenes), was not very photogenic and due to her facial features being somewhat oddly "askew" (ya might say), and that she lisped when she spoke just like Gloria Grahame and Doris Roberts.

In other words, I couldn't buy for one minute the idea that Mitchum would instantly fall head-over-heels for her in this flick, as at least for me, she lacked for any amount of sex-appeal at all. And, with this being said here by a guy who has always found brunettes exceptionally sexy and attractive.

Even if the woman were a flaming knockout, it still doesn't make sense that Mitchum would be so head over heals. From the start Mitchum was a doctor who was the epitome of propriety and common sense. I couldn't believe he was talking that crap. I quit shortly after that. Maybe he was feigning to get at what made her tick. Anyway it was late and I cut it off, so far I haven't returned.
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: March 24th, 2024, 3:29 pm
Dargo wrote: March 24th, 2024, 2:49 pm Can anyone here give me even an inkling of what Howard Hughes could've possibily ever found so intriguing about Faith Domergue?

Even if the woman were a flaming knockout, it still doesn't make sense that Mitchum would be so head over heals. From the start Mitchum was a doctor who was the epitome of propriety and common sense. I couldn't believe he was talking that crap. I quit shortly after that. Maybe he was feigning to get at what made her tick. Anyway it was late and I cut it off, so far I haven't returned.
Excellent point made here, laffite. I agree the idea that Mitchum's character would even set himself up for this fall of being charmed a femme fatale is pretty much a stretch here. And in addition, this is shown as being much too quick to come about as well in this film, and so which gave me the impression that there might have been some footage left, as they say, on the cutting room floor.

(...however, this doesn't address my initial question here about Faith Domergue)
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I actually like both Faith Domergue and Where Danger Lives. I have no trouble buying Robert Mitchum as a man who acts in irrational ways, in this or any other of his films. His rather bland blonde girlfriend (Maureen O'Sullivan) doesn't need saving, so the damaged brunette who tried to kill herself is like catnip. (Speaking of cats, I love the part that the pretty Siamese kitty plays in the story.)

Eddie Muller made the interesting point that Mitchum is like neither the often stagy actors of the 1930s nor the Method actors of the 1950s. I'd say that Mitchum has a great sense of how he photgraphs on screen and how little he needs to do to convey complex thoughts or situations. His "man with a concussion" scenes could easily have been overacted.

Nicholas Musuraca and director John Farrow have some inventive set-ups and camera movements, especially in the first half of the film.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Dargo I hear you on Faith Domergue I never found her attractive,of the many girls Hughes put under contract-I do not use the word actress-Faith was the worst looking one by far. Hughes was losing his touch I presume,I have looked at so many..Janis Carter etc I have seen at least 50 and again Domergue was the worst one,
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

nakanosunplaza wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:24 pm Dargo I hear you on Faith Domergue I never found her attractive,of the many girls Hughes put under contract-I do not use the word actress-Faith was the worst looking one by far. Hughes was losing his touch I presume,I have looked at so many..Janis Carter etc I have seen at least 50 and again Domergue was the worst one,
Hmmm..."Janis Carter", ya say?!

Ya know nakano, now THERE'S a beauty that I COULD have believed Mitchum would've or might've immediately fallen for in this film. And also taking into account that she had previously and I feel capably played the femme fatale in a prior few films (1946's 'Night Editor', 1947's 'Framed' and 1948's 'I Love Trouble'), yeah, I could buy her that role, alright.

(...didn't know she was also one of Hughes' proteges though...according to her Wiki biopage, she was discovered by another of Hollywood's nortorious casting coach studio heads of that time...20th Century-Fox's Darryl Zanuck)
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

You are right Dargo ! Zanuck signed her I always thought Hughes was the one she signed with RKO in 1949 after Columbia,she was involved with Hughes's right -hand man Noah Dietrich-he wrote a fine bio-book of his life with HH by the way. Probably why I confused Hughes and Zanuck who is by far the best studio head in any era.A multi-talented man ,his sex-siestas from 4 to 5pm at Fox were famously known but I think the casting directors were busier than him with the hundreds of gullible hopefuls coming in Hollywood by train every week...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 1:56 pm
Hibi wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 9:39 am It looks like this weeks Noir Alley is a rerun. Haven't they showed this before? Wonder if it will have new wraparounds.
Yes, it is a repeat. Two more Noir Alley repeats have also been scheduled for May. Here is the updated schedule:

03-23 Where Danger Lives (1950) (repeat)
03-30 Pushover (1954) (repeat)

04-06 Violence (1947)
04-13 The Breaking Point (1950) (repeat 2x)
04-20 Born to Kill (1947) (repeat 2x)
04-27 The Big Knife (1955)

05-04 Dark Passage (1947) (repeat)
05-11 Follow Me Quietly (1949) (repeat)
05-18 Take Aim at the Police Van (1960) (TCM Premiere)
05-25 TBA

It does seem like too many repeats, even with the TCM anniversary in April.

The pattern has been that Eddie will at least make new wraparounds. If TCM starts re-running the Eddie material, then we are really in trouble.

Thanks. That's a lot of repeats! The wraparounds for Where Danger Lives seemed new to me. I hope Eddie isn't running out of Noir material.....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 8:02 pm They could have put The Big Combo for Noir Alley in May or June, If they really need to save money they could re broadcast the same intro-outros with Eddie, there must be many b movies -crime thrillers available for cheap fees like The Stong Room he showed it at Noir City last month and I have seen it last year so many others.Like you I think we might be in trouble
Yes! The BIg Combo deserves a Noir Alley slot. I can think of some other noir candidates that haven't debuted (there may be rights issues or problems involved, I don't know).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:28 pm This week Noir Alley features Where Danger Lives (RKO - 1950), featuring Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue and Claude Rains.

Rather slow moving first half and Rains has very limited screen time but makes the most of it in the best scene in the film with Mitchum and Domergue.
Yes, he's only in that one scene but he makes the most of it.
Last edited by Hibi on March 25th, 2024, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I have to disagree, while her speech impediment could be annoying at times, I think she was quite attractive (beautiful eyes) and filled out an evening gown nicely. She wasn't a great actress, but I think she was ok in the role. The only other pictures I've seen her in were drive in type horror films later in the 50s. I've never seen Vendetta. Wish TCM would run that. Curious to see if it lives up to its bad reputation.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: March 24th, 2024, 4:00 pm I actually like both Faith Domergue and Where Danger Lives. I have no trouble buying Robert Mitchum as a man who acts in irrational ways, in this or any other of his films. His rather bland blonde girlfriend (Maureen O'Sullivan) doesn't need saving, so the damaged brunette who tried to kill herself is like catnip. (Speaking of cats, I love the part that the pretty Siamese kitty plays in the story.)

Eddie Muller made the interesting point that Mitchum is like neither the often stagy actors of the 1930s nor the Method actors of the 1950s. I'd say that Mitchum has a great sense of how he photgraphs on screen and how little he needs to do to convey complex thoughts or situations. His "man with a concussion" scenes could easily have been overacted.

Nicholas Musuraca and director John Farrow have some inventive set-ups and camera movements, especially in the first half of the film.
Agree. The film is by the numbers noir, but it works. Any noir has aspects that don't hold up well if you start analyzing them. If the film spent more time on Mitchum falling for Faith it would've slowed down the film.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:13 am
I have to disagree, while her speech impediment could be annoying at times, I think she was quite attractive (beautiful eyes) and filled out an evening gown nicely. She wasn't a great actress, but I think she was ok in the role. The only other pictures I've seen her in were drive in type horror films later in the 50s. I've never seen Vendetta. Wish TCM would run that. Curious to see if it lives up to its bad reputation.
Ya know what other actress shared who those sad looking down-turned eyes Faith had, Hibi?

Katy Jurado here...

(...and as a matter of fact, I think Katy and Faith resemble each other quite a bit overall facially-wise, but with Faith being a little more "porcelain" in appearance)
Last edited by Dargo on March 25th, 2024, 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, I can see that.