I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Allhallowsday wrote: May 6th, 2024, 8:48 pm MAN ON FIRE (1957)

I'm curious as to why TV Guide considers this a brilliant, 4 star film. Its not horrible, but its not very memorable either.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I saw OIALN when it was on TCM a year or so ago. It had a bit of a look of a
TV movie, not that that's a major problem. Very emblematic of the early 1970s.
Didn't white knight Markham turn out to be married? So maybe Janet Leigh had
a point, at least to some degree.

I'm watching The Strangers in 7A on YT, a 1972 TV movie with Andy Griffith
and Ida Lupino. Andy is getting into a heck of a lot of trouble after he picks
up a sexy young thing when his wife (Lupino) is out of town. Problem is the syt
has some pretty nasty friends. Oh oh.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:02 am Ladies and gentlemen, submitted for your bad movie approval -- ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER. Kindly ignore imdb comments along the lines of "this is groundbreaking in terms of feminist cinema". Well, you know what I say to that? Horse manure!!

1972, Trish Van Devere is left high and dry by English professor hubby who takes it on the lam with a 19 year old blonde. Trish's character is a ripe 27. She seeks solace from a withered-looking Janet Leigh, a cheerfully cynical survivor of divorce who offers some eloquent advice: "When your old man leaves, you gotta get laid!" Janet also exclaims "men are sh*t!" You go, girl. Melvyn Douglas (my uncle Louie from Queens lookalike) as an elderly fruit-and-vegetable shop owner offers his own brand of comfort to Trish: "There's a performance of King Lear in the park. There's nothing better for an evening". Sure. Meanwhile, Trish has to find work so she high-tails it to an employment agency where the sleazy male counselor tries to make his moves and later corners the poor girl in the locker room. She then meets a seemingly normal Monte Markham (remember him?) at an outdoor art event (this story takes place in hippie-ish San Francisco, and believe me, I was there at that time) and the two hit it off. So far, so good. Or so it seems. Poor Trish can't catch a break. Without a man in the house she can't fix the plumbing and is spooked by strange noises in the night.

Trish's job as a lifeguard at the neighborhood city pool is emotionally if not monetarily rewarding, so is open to her lawyer's suggestion about taking the hubby for all he's worth. Will she emerge an independent woman? We wait with bated breath for the totally expected ending, complete with freeze frame.
I saw it several years ago, and I have to confess I liked it. Nothing major, but I thought it was a good little film. I really thought Melvin Douglas was very good in it, and it was interesting to see Janet Leigh in such a brassy role. Trish Van Devere was up for a golden Globe for it. But it does look like something done for TV (likely due to MGM's severe budget caps on most films at the time).
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

NOW INSTEAD OF THIS ....THEY'RE RE- PLAYING "SUBJECT /ROSES" !!?????????

wtf
:headbang: :tickedoff:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:02 am Ladies and gentlemen, submitted for your bad movie approval -- ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER. Kindly ignore imdb comments along the lines of "this is groundbreaking in terms of feminist cinema". Well, you know what I say to that? Horse manure!! ...
I saw a bit of it too, and before. I would say "horse hockey" after Col. Potter, but we agree.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Though One Is a Lonely Number is no great shakes and hardly a cinematic landmark, it accurately captures the mood and manners of its time. It also has a more honest resolution than the fantasy ending of An Unmarried Woman. I knew several women whose marriages broke up in the 1970s. Most never re-married, and the subsequent men in their lives were much more like Monte Markham than like Alan Bates.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 7th, 2024, 4:16 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:02 am Ladies and gentlemen, submitted for your bad movie approval -- ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER. Kindly ignore imdb comments along the lines of "this is groundbreaking in terms of feminist cinema". Well, you know what I say to that? Horse manure!!

1972, Trish Van Devere is left high and dry by English professor hubby who takes it on the lam with a 19 year old blonde. Trish's character is a ripe 27. She seeks solace from a withered-looking Janet Leigh, a cheerfully cynical survivor of divorce who offers some eloquent advice: "When your old man leaves, you gotta get laid!" Janet also exclaims "men are sh*t!" You go, girl. Melvyn Douglas (my uncle Louie from Queens lookalike) as an elderly fruit-and-vegetable shop owner offers his own brand of comfort to Trish: "There's a performance of King Lear in the park. There's nothing better for an evening". Sure. Meanwhile, Trish has to find work so she high-tails it to an employment agency where the sleazy male counselor tries to make his moves and later corners the poor girl in the locker room. She then meets a seemingly normal Monte Markham (remember him?) at an outdoor art event (this story takes place in hippie-ish San Francisco, and believe me, I was there at that time) and the two hit it off. So far, so good. Or so it seems. Poor Trish can't catch a break. Without a man in the house she can't fix the plumbing and is spooked by strange noises in the night.

Trish's job as a lifeguard at the neighborhood city pool is emotionally if not monetarily rewarding, so is open to her lawyer's suggestion about taking the hubby for all he's worth. Will she emerge an independent woman? We wait with bated breath for the totally expected ending, complete with freeze frame.
I saw it several years ago, and I have to confess I liked it. Nothing major, but I thought it was a good little film. I really thought Melvin Douglas was very good in it, and it was interesting to see Janet Leigh in such a brassy role. Trish Van Devere was up for a golden Globe for it. But it does look like something done for TV (likely due to MGM's severe budget caps on most films at the time).
Yes, it definitely has a tv movie feel (except for Leigh's character).
Andree

Post by Andree »

Well Andy got out of trouble in Strangers 7A. The bank robbers who took over an apartment
in his building were killed or captured. It seems Ida forgave Andy for picking up the young
lady. It didn't mean that much as Andy never got past first base. All's well that ends well.
There was one funny scene. Like many would be heroes Andy tells the head bank robber
he'd teach him a lesson if he was alone with him for a few minutes. So the guy takes Andy
up on it and they go into a room and he beats the crap out of Andy. Be careful what you ask for.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I've never seen THE STRANGERS IN 7A. Trying to wrap my head around Andy Griffith and Ida Lupino as a couple.

Thanks guys for all your ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER input. It did look like a tv movie of the era -- I forgot to state that.

As for Spike Lee during the FACE IN A CROWD intro, he oddly repeated himself with certain comments but I attributed that as more nervousness (after all, he was talking with Hollywood Royalty, lol) than anything else.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on May 9th, 2024, 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 7th, 2024, 4:16 pm

She probably would have had better luck with Mr. Provo (Melyvn Douglas) than those other losers.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

UEFA Champions League Semifinal Second Leg: Real Madrid v. Bayern München (2024)

Sport often offers more real drama than anything a Hollywood movie can make. 8/10 if you're a neutral; 0/10 if you're a fan of the team I am.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 8th, 2024, 5:34 pm I've never seen THE STRANGERS IN 7A. Trying to wrap my head around Andy Griffith and Ida Lupino as a couple.

Thanks guys for all your ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER input. It did look like a tv movie of the era -- I forgot to state that.

As for Spike Lee during the FACE IN A CROWD intro, he oddly repeated himself with certain comments but I interpretated that as more nervousness (after all, he was talking with Hollywood Royalty, lol) than anything else.
I just happened to see it on the YT sidebar and what the heck. A TV movie that
looks like....a TV movie. Ida had to go to frumpville for this one. Andy is a super
who doesn't make much money and has kind of a crummy apartment. He also has
a lot more screen time than she does. But it mostly works.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

kingrat wrote: May 7th, 2024, 7:11 pm Though One Is a Lonely Number is no great shakes and hardly a cinematic landmark, it accurately captures the mood and manners of its time. It also has a more honest resolution than the fantasy ending of An Unmarried Woman. I knew several women whose marriages broke up in the 1970s. Most never re-married, and the subsequent men in their lives were much more like Monte Markham than like Alan Bates.

You make good points. Nonetheless, I love AN UNMARRIED WOMAN which is remarkable for more reasons than ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER. First off, let's start with the title...
The ending of AN UNMARRIED WOMAN is a "fantasy", unclear, struggling to balance an enormous canvas... it certainly strove to be more of a "movie".
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

sorry to have been away, I've been working on a project that is consuming my time.

I have watched A LOT OF STUFF, but first and foremost, I finished a FRANK BORZAGE film from 1934 called NO GREATER GLORY this morning (I started it a few Days back and watched in installments, sue me, I have ADD)

OH MY GOD, what a piece of CLAPTRAP- well-intentioned CLAPTRAP, but JESUS ALMIGHTY, so HAM-FISTED in that DEEPLY EARNEST AND UNIQUE way that misguided SOCIAL ISSUE PICTURES OF THE 1930S tend to be, I think the poster art will give you some idea of the level of pretension on display:

(also, that macrame blanket is HIDEOUS)

THIS MOVIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SHORT instead it is a verrrry long hour and some change (45 minutes?)

the entire plot is a clumsy ANTIWAR allegory about man's tendency to be territorial and want conflict, rendered into a story of gangs of 8-14 year boys who are fighting over a vacant lot and eventually have a DRAMATIC BATTLE AT THE CLIMAX- the story is SO PREACHY and SLOOOOWLY PACED AND HEAVY HANDED AND OVERWROUGHT, while the the 9(ish?) MINUTE BATTLE SEQUENCE so masterfully shot and- frankly- FUN AS HELL, that ANY CHILD SITTING THROUGH THIS MOUND OF HOOEY WHO WAS STILL AWAKE AT THE MOMENT THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE CHILD GANGS (FINALLY) ERUPTS, WOULD 110% IMMEDIATELY SEEK OUT THE CLOSEST VACANT LOT TO GO TO WAR OVER. They even give you MAGUYVER-LIKE TECHNIQUES ON MAKING YOUR OWN BOOBY TRAPS AND FLOUR BOMBS!!!!

I mean it, the 8 minutes of battle are a blast- FRANKLY, this is as successful a PRO-WAR FILM as I have ever seen.

FRANKIE DARRO is in this and I don't wanna get in trouble FOR SAYING THIS as I think he was only 14 or so, but he is really really cute and totally gives off STAR VIBES, CHRISTIAN RUB who voiced and modeled for GEPETTO IN DISNEY'S PINNOCHIO plays the watchman of the lot (fun fact: CHRISTIAN RUB was very pro-NAZI and used to go on and on about how much he admired HITLER to the DISNEY animators) a young man named JIMMIE BUTLER gives the best performance in the movie, and ironically he and another cast member were later killed in WWII

THis is also one of those 1930s films that is set in in MITTELEUROPE and everyone has very eastern names and the clothes and locations and signage are all foreign- but ALL THE ACTORS, with only a couple exceptions SPEAK WITH THE MOST AMERICAN ACCENTS EVER.
Last edited by Lorna on May 9th, 2024, 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

watching NO GREATER GLORY, I was OFT-REMINDED of the following SONG AND VIDEO which is truly AN ALL TIME FAVORITE OF MINE:

(CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES A DAY I SING IT TO MYSELF)