I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: April 25th, 2024, 10:28 pm
Hibi wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:59 am

Yes. Never liked Hazel, even as a kid! Perry needed that extra power to move him along.
Especially in the later seasons when he had put on quit a few pounds.
His weight really fluctuated during the series.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 26th, 2024, 8:57 am

Yes. Never liked Hazel, even as a kid! Perry needed that extra power to move him along.

I'd bet you anything RAYMOND BURR was depressed.

If you only know hIM from PERRY MASON, it's WILD to come across some of his film roles in the 40's and 50's where he really got to DIG IN and play some sadistic weirdoes (HIS KIND OF WOMAN comes to mind)

PERRY MASON provided stability and visibility and a TON of money, but I imagine an actor of his abilities had to have felt BOXED IN playing things so DEADPAN for EVERY SCENE in EVERY EPISODE (I think he expected to have more A PLACE IN THE SUN moments as PERRY)

He even pokes fun at his EMOTIONLESS DEMEANOR when he plays THE JUDGE in AIRPLANE II: THE SEQUEL
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: April 26th, 2024, 9:18 am

If you only know hIM from PERRY MASON, it's WILD to come across some of his film roles in the 40's and 50's where he really got to DIG IN and play some sadistic weirdoes (HIS KIND OF WOMAN comes to mind)

PERRY MASON provided stability and visibility and a TON of money, but I imagine an actor of his abilities had to have felt BOXED IN playing things so DEADPAN for EVERY SCENE in EVERY EPISODE (I think he expected to have more A PLACE IN THE SUN moments as PERRY)

He even pokes fun at his EMOTIONLESS DEMEANOR when he plays THE JUDGE in AIRPLANE II: THE SEQUEL
He always had a weight issue and yo-yoed throughout his life. He supposedly dropped 100 lbs before PM started. From what I read he was originally called for the Hamilton Burger role. He almost always was the heavy in earlier roles (see Rear Window) But Gardner was convinced he was the embodiment of Mason, even though some thought the against-type casting was a risk for a relatively expensive show (for the times).

I wasn't old enough to see PM in its original run, and when it first went into syndication in the early 70s, I had no interest (what 7 or 8 year old would?). I've only started watching them in the last few years in the late night MeTV timeslot, where they've padded the runtime to 65 minutes, I suppose to air them uncut.

One thing I've noticed is that Burr has really dark circles around the eyes in most episodes/scenes. I mean really dark, as if a makeup artist went to town. I don't know why they didn't try to cover that up a bit more. Perhaps they thought people wouldn't notice while watching on their 19 inch B&W Philcos...
Last edited by txfilmfan on April 26th, 2024, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 26th, 2024, 9:18 am

I only knew him as Perry Mason when I was young and was shocked and surprised to see (when I got older) him playing scary heavies in earlier films (and being great in them). What a career turnaround. But also a straight jacket of sorts. Originally he tried out for the part of Burger in the series. LOL I just can't picture him playing that role now (though I'm sure he would've been ok in it).
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Topsy-turvy PM screen tests. Burr as Burger. William Hopper as Mason. And Burr as Mason...

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

WILD!!!! Hopper was a lot slimmer too, there.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

For Day of the Locust fans: a digitally restored version will be shown on May 25 at the Camelot Theater in Palm Springs, with Dave Karger hosting. This increases the chances that Day of the Locust will be shown on TCM and in other outlets.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

txfilmfan wrote: April 26th, 2024, 9:54 am Topsy-turvy PM screen tests. Burr as Burger. William Hopper as Mason. And Burr as Mason...

OH WOW, thanks!

initial thoughts:

1. they write "BUGER" in for "BURGER" twice. It was hilarious both times.

2. RAYMOND BURR never once OPENED HIS EYES SO WIDE in all 8 seasons of MASON as he does at least twice in his screen test as BURGER- once when speculating that his putting an innocent man on death row would lead to sleepless nights- which is maybe where the DARK CIRCLE IDEA started- because let's face it, we all know BURGER sent at least four dozen guys who were innocent to death row.

3. HOPPER is slimmer, but he's not good, and he keeps looking off to the side which is seriously distracting. ALSO, RAY COLLINS blows him off the screen- I don't think it's intentional- he's just THAT GOOD, he was EVEN CRANKIER as TRAGG in the screen tests!!!

4. I LIVE FOR THE ACTRESS IN MINK PLAYING DELLA opposite Hopper. I am glad they went with BARBARA HALE, but I also like to think that this lady SNATCHED THAT MINK in LIEU OF HER DAILY WAGE for being a stand-in and MADE IT SAFELY OFF THE LOT.

5. the lady who reads with HOPPER as MASON and BURR as MASON is not only GORGEOUS, but a really compelling performer.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 26th, 2024, 11:28 am For Day of the Locust fans: a digitally restored version will be shown on May 25 at the Camelot Theater in Palm Springs, with Dave Karger hosting. This increases the chances that Day of the Locust will be shown on TCM and in other outlets.
Here's hoping!!!! Great news.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 26th, 2024, 11:29 am
txfilmfan wrote: April 26th, 2024, 9:54 am Topsy-turvy PM screen tests. Burr as Burger. William Hopper as Mason. And Burr as Mason...

OH WOW, thanks!

initial thoughts:

1. they write "BUGER" in for "BURGER" twice. It was hilarious both times.

2. RAYMOND BURR never once OPENED HIS EYES SO WIDE in all 8 seasons of MASON as he does at least twice in his screen test as BURGER- once when speculating that his putting an innocent man on death row would lead to sleepless nights- which is maybe where the DARK CIRCLE IDEA started- because let's face it, we all know BURGER sent at least four dozen guys who were innocent to death row.

3. HOPPER is slimmer, but he's not good, and he keeps looking off to the side which is seriously distracting. ALSO, RAY COLLINS blows him off the screen- I don't think it's intentional- he's just THAT GOOD, he was EVEN CRANKIER as TRAGG in the screen tests!!!

4. I LIVE FOR THE ACTRESS IN MINK PLAYING DELLA opposite Hopper. I am glad they went with BARBARA HALE, but I also like to think that this lady SNATCHED THAT MINK in LIEU OF HER DAILY WAGE for being a stand-in and MADE IT SAFELY OFF THE LOT.

5. the lady who reads with HOPPER as MASON and BURR as MASON is not only GORGEOUS, but a really compelling performer.
I noticed that too about BUGER! BOOGER! :D Yes, Burr dialed it back in the series (no eye bulging) Della seemed a lot more vampy in the tests. She was more demure in the series.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

BOOGER! BOOGER! BOOOOOOOGER!!!!!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 26th, 2024, 8:20 am a very dear friend sent me a buttload of incredible DVDs, among them is 1978's DEATH ON THE NILE, which includes a MAKING OF FEATURETTE that I had NEVER seen and did not know existed (which surprises me as this film has been a minor obsession of mine)

it's always weird for me to see PETER USTINOV talking in a BRITISH ACCENT as I grew up watching his HERCULE POIROT FILMS a lot on HBO.

I'm a big fan of EVIL UNDER THE SUN, which also features Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot.

Last year, the sweetie and I visited his grandmother, who is a fan of the POIROT series with David Suchet.
We shared with her the 1982 EVIL UNDER THE SUN, which features Diana Rigg, Maggie Smith and Sylvia Miles in addition to Peter Ustinov as Poirot.
She enjoyed the movie, but she found Sylvia Miles annoying.
She also commented on the quality of the performances across the board (particularly Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith) but couldn't think of the word to describe it.
The word she was looking for was camp.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I recall that Raymond Burr had to go on a major crash diet to even be cast as Perry Mason. He had lost much weight before he began the series, and it only seems natural that he would put some back on. (Something I know from personal experience. I've almost always been overweight. Several years ago, I lost quite a bit, but later found much of it all over again)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: April 25th, 2024, 2:17 pm Who would name their son EDSEL???? He was cursed from birth!
He only lived about half as long as his father Henry Ford did to boot.