I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 26th, 2024, 2:38 pm
Hibi wrote: April 25th, 2024, 2:17 pm Who would name their son EDSEL???? He was cursed from birth!
He only lived about half as long as his father Henry Ford did to boot.
And apparently he was A LOT NICER and FAR MORE LOVED than HENRY FORD or HENRY FORD II (aka "HANK THE DEUCE".)
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Speaking of the name Edsel reminded me that I knew a woman named Sally, which was a nickname for her real name, Itsil. That's far out even for the rural South of many years ago.

And Holden's Sweetie's Grandmother had it right about Sylvia Miles being annoying. That's the quality she brings to the screen.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Regarding Sylvia Miles, I honestly thought she was hysterically funny in her small part in 1989's She-Devil as Meryl Streep's vengeful mother who rats all of her daughter's dirty secrets to a People magazine reporter as payback for having been put in a nursing home.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 26th, 2024, 8:57 am

His weight really fluctuated during the series.
He seemed slimmer at the start and then got bigger as the show went on. By the
time of the last few seasons he looked like a refrigerator with a suit on. He also
had a shorter haircut, but I don't think the two were connected.

I've read that Burr had so much dialogue to remember that he sometimes stayed
at the studio overnight instead of going home. I was watching an episode the other
night where Della says the location is giving her the willies. I always get a kick
out of that expression.

Do I know what a common law marriage is? Why honey, that's the only way I would
get married. Say big boy what are you doing after court is adjourned for the day?
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I own a copy of TOOTSIE, but I couldn't resist watching a few favorite moments when I saw it was available on Watch TCM.
I never tire of this one!
I've never been one to comment on who *should* have won an Oscar (these awards are based on votes from Academy members so whoever received the most votes earned the Oscar), but Dustin Hoffman's nuanced performance in TOOTSIE continues to amaze with repeat viewings.
Of course, Ben KIngsley received the Oscar that year for his work in the "serious" GANDHI, but my vote would have gone to Dustin Hoffman for his work in TOOTSIE. Comedies never seem to get the recognition they deserve in my opinion.

One of my favorite (of many) laugh-out-loud moments is from a segment depicting the taping of a scene from the soap opera SOUTHWEST GENERAL, where Dustin Hoffman's character Michael Dorsey (or rather his female alter ego Dorothy Michaels) portrays hospital administrator Emily Kimberly. (We have an actor playing an actor playing an actor playing a character.)
Also in this scene is Jessica Lange, whose character Julie Nichols portrays Nurse Charles on the soap opera.
We witness Michael/Dorothy going off script, with a shot of the teleprompter revealing what had actually been written.

JULIE (as NURSE CHARLES): I’m partially to blame, Miss Kimberly.
MICHAEL as DOROTHY (as EMILY): Yes.
JULIE (as NURSE CHARLES): I know I’m pretty. And I use it. I just guess I shouldn’t have gone to Dr. Brewster’s office so late.
MICHAEL as DOROTHY (as EMILY): Well, no, that’s not true. You know, Dr. Brewster has tried to seduce several nurses on this ward, always claiming to be in the throes of an uncontrollable impulse. [Going off script] Do you know what? I think I’m gonna give every nurse on this floor an electric cattle prod and instruct them to just zap him in his badoobies.
JULIE: [snorts]
MICHAEL as DOROTHY (as EMILY): [on phone] Ruby? Hi. You want to open up the yellow pages and under the section of “Farm Equipment Retail” . . .

CinemaInternational

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 27th, 2024, 4:42 pm I own a copy of TOOTSIE, but I couldn't resist watching a few favorite moments when I saw it was available on Watch TCM.
I never tire of this one!
I've never been one to comment on who *should* have won an Oscar (these awards are based on votes from Academy members so whoever received the most votes earned the Oscar), but Dustin Hoffman's nuanced performance in TOOTSIE continues to amaze with repeat viewings.
Of course, Ben KIngsley received the Oscar that year for his work in the "serious" GANDHI, but my vote would have gone to Dustin Hoffman for his work in TOOTSIE. Comedies never seem to get the recognition they deserve in my opinion.

One of my favorite (of many) laugh-out-loud moments is from a segment depicting the taping of a scene from the soap opera SOUTHWEST GENERAL, where Dustin Hoffman's character Michael Dorsey (or rather his female alter ego Dorothy Michaels) portrays hospital administrator Emily Kimberly. (We have an actor playing an actor playing an actor playing a character.)
Also in this scene is Jessica Lange, whose character Julie Nichols portrays Nurse Charles on the soap opera.
We witness Michael/Dorothy going off script, with a shot of the teleprompter revealing what had actually been written.

JULIE (as NURSE CHARLES): I’m partially to blame, Miss Kimberly.
MICHAEL as DOROTHY (as EMILY): Yes.
JULIE (as NURSE CHARLES): I know I’m pretty. And I use it. I just guess I shouldn’t have gone to Dr. Brewster’s office so late.
MICHAEL as DOROTHY (as EMILY): Well, no, that’s not true. You know, Dr. Brewster has tried to seduce several nurses on this ward, always claiming to be in the throes of an uncontrollable impulse. [Going off script] Do you know what? I think I’m gonna give every nurse on this floor an electric cattle prod and instruct them to just zap him in his badoobies.
JULIE: [snorts]
MICHAEL as DOROTHY (as EMILY): [on phone] Ruby? Hi. You want to open up the yellow pages and under the section of “Farm Equipment Retail” . . .

Wow, we feel exactly the same about this film. It's one movie I never get tired of watching and consider it to be one of the greatest films ever made, and indeed I was watching it last night when it was on TCM. And the scene you mention with the discussion of the "electric cattle prod" is probably my favorite moment in the film, especially the way that Jessica Lange (who in real life grew up on a farm) puts her handkerchief to her mouth to cover up her laughter. (I also love the line early on "How do you feel about Cleveland? ")

And although Gandhi is a good film, I think Hoffman's performance here should have won. It's his career best.
CinemaInternational

Dipped into the 2000s today with a watch of 2003's Open Range, a Western with Robert Duvall, Kevin Costner (who also directed), Annette Bening, and Michael Gambon. This is definitely Duvall's film and it is a very fine modern take on a Western, although it is a big shock when the big showdown comes at the end, because the film has beautiful photography and gentle music and then settles in for an ending with the imagry of a Peckinpah film. Still, despite the overkill here, it's very good.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I LOVE MICHAEL GAMBON!

I watched the full episode of his return to: Top Gear (2002-2015) recently. I believe that this clip demonstrates why he is perfect for playing madcap characters:

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

My favorite moment in TOOTSIE is Teri Garr's scream when Michael reveals on live TV that he is Dorothy.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: April 27th, 2024, 9:57 pm My favorite moment in TOOTSIE is Teri Garr's scream when Michael reveals on live TV that he is Dorothy.
"THAT is one nutty hospital."
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 26th, 2024, 3:09 pm Regarding Sylvia Miles, I honestly thought she was hysterically funny in her small part in 1989's She-Devil as Meryl Streep's vengeful mother who rats all of her daughter's dirty secrets to a People magazine reporter as payback for having been put in a nursing home.
"SHE WAS A TRAMP!"

Yes, and I also love SYLVIA MILES in FAREWELL MY LOVELY (1975)- which is a great example of an actor wringing everything they can out of less than ten minutes of screen times and earning a much-deserved (in my opinion at least) Oscar Nomination (back when they kinda meant something, especially if you were the only part of a film singled out for a nomination, which I think she was.)

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 26th, 2024, 2:34 pm
I'm a big fan of EVIL UNDER THE SUN, which also features Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot.

[/quote]

not as big a fan as me.

MY FRIEND also gifted me a DVD of EVIL UNDER THE SUN and I have watched it SO MANY TIMES in the week that I have had it.

IT IS A FILM with which I have a LONG HISTORY- it showed on HBO ALL THE TIME in the 1980's (they showed a lot of films that didn't hit it big at the box office, i guess the broadcast rights were cheaper.)

it bothered my whole family how much I LOVED EVIL UNDER THE SUN, how it seemed to speak my language (I was about 8 years old) I remember it bothered my father in particular and I still recall having words with him over it. To be fair, he also HATED the fact that I loved THE DUKES OF HAZZARD, which is about as HETEROSEXUAL AS ENTERTAINMENT GETS, so it's like "pick a lane, Dad."

to be fair, in retrospect, it is a REALLY really REALLY gay film.

the ensembles, the hats, the accessories, the COLE PORTER, NICHOLAS CLAY'S SCRUMPTIOUS ASSCHEEKS....

And I love every single second of it.

I LOVE THE COSTUMES. I LOVE THE WATERCOLORS AT THE BEGINNING DURING THE TITLES!!! I LOVE THE SCORE!

My lifelong admiration of COLE PORTER began with this movie.

if you asked me to pick a movie to watch ON LOOP for 24 hours, I would- without hesitation- say EVIL UNDER THE SUN!

If I could be hit on the head like JOHN CANDY in DELIRIOUS! or pull some kind of telekenetic PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED transcendental stuff- I would choose to LIVE AS A CHARACTER WITHIN EVIL UNDER THE SUN.

And I would spend all day on the terrace with SYLVIA MILES and MAGGIE SMITH and JAMES MASON and RODDY! engaging in the HOTTEST of HOT GOSSIP and then go for a walkabout with PETER USTINOV as we made fun of the outfits they forced JANE BIRKIN to wear.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

SPOILER IN RE EVIL UNDER THE SUN

I also LIVE for the scene at the end where JANE BIRKIN gets to make up for dressing like a chemo patient throughout the whole movie by wearing THIS:

AND SHE ALSO TALKS LIKE ONE OF THE SIAMESE CATS FROM LADY AND THE TRAMP all of a sudden
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

even though the story is slight, A LOT OF THOUGHT went into a lot of aspects of the making of EVIL UNDER THE SUN (the watercolors at the beginning all corresponding to the function of the actor or crew member they represent; the COLE PORTER score dipping into IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT or MY HEART BELONGS TO DADDY or JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS at just the right time...)

it's a shame that this movie was such a "flop"- it cost $10 million (A LOT BACK THEN, and it shows) but it made only a little more than half that back and in the process- (whether it be coincidence or not) the careers of everyone involved took a hit, with only MAGGIE SMITH emerging reasonably soon thereafter and DIANA RIGG finding fame on GAME OF THRONES at the very end of a quiet career spell) (RODDY McDOWELL and SYLVIA MILES didn't do another "A" PICTURE for many years, JAMES MASON died, and PETER USTINOV was stuck playing POIROT on TV.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Lorna wrote: April 28th, 2024, 11:33 am
kingrat wrote: April 27th, 2024, 9:57 pm My favorite moment in TOOTSIE is Teri Garr's scream when Michael reveals on live TV that he is Dorothy.
"THAT is one nutty hospital."
"Does Jeff know?"